Today's computer and fsx?

Thread: Today's computer and fsx?

Today's computer and fsx?

I am thinking of getting a new computer for fsx from Jetline Systems. The HellFire gt2 systems with upgrades yet to be determined is the one I am interested in. Question is, our today's computers hitting the sweet spot in fsx and will the future computers be beyond fsx capabilities? Is this the best time to buy a new rig before fsx gets left in the dust with new techknowLedgies?

Your thoughts?

Jim

I would think that any update you make to a current computer, or any new computer you purchase would only enhance your FSX experience. I don't know that any computer would necessarily move beyond the abilities of FSX to handle them, but rather you might move beyond FSX to P3D where current updates put it way beyond what FSX is capable of. It's more about how far you want to go. If you're happy with FSX and what it offers, then any new system you purchase that's above and beyond what you currently have will only increase the fun factor with FSX, especially where CPU speeds and available memory are concerned. If you plan to go to P3D at some point, then the GPU will weigh heavily on the decision of what to buy as the GPU now handles the load for texture loading and cards of 2, 3 and 4gig are the norm. CPU and available memory are also important, but no longer taking the load for texture control in the sim.

You really should build your own, an Intel Core i7 4790K and an ASUS Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard in a Corsair Obsidian 900D case (just for example) would keep FSX humming along very smoothly.
    Falcon makes a very good point, FSX isn't going to outstrip a decent box, but P3D will need more as it matures, and CPU power is becoming critical.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by limjack View Post
    I am thinking of getting a new computer for fsx from Jetline Systems. The HellFire gt2 systems with upgrades yet to be determined is the one I am interested in. Question is, our today's computers hitting the sweet spot in fsx and will the future computers be beyond fsx capabilities? Is this the best time to buy a new rig before fsx gets left in the dust with new techknowLedgies?

Your thoughts?

Jim
    Jim,
    You can see in my signature that I own a Jetline system....If you have the $$ it is a great investment-- I am glad I purchased one
    Absolutely love the performance,I have had it now for a year

The Guy's at Jetline are the best and provide great support after the sale, their shop is just 10 miles from my house here in Tampa,Fl

PM me if you need any more specific questions answered

Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

You should always build your own. It's fun, the cost can be much reduced over a boxed PC, and you have control over all parts. Plus everything only fits one way and there are tons of videos on youtube showing you how if you've never done it before. I do this every few years since my first one back in 1988.

The specs on papab's system above look good but I would get one more Gig memory on the video card and for FSX you won't use more than 4Gig RAM. So go with 8 rather than 16 and apply that money towards the video card upgrade. Just my opinion.

It's really to bad that CPU tech isn't moving forward faster. I would think by now we would be seeing stock 5-6 GHZ without overclocking. It's the main reason I haven't upgraded yet, not enough band for the buck.
    Best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    It's really to bad that CPU tech isn't moving forward faster. I would think by now we would be seeing stock 5-6 GHZ without overclocking. It's the main reason I haven't upgraded yet, not enough band for the buck.
    Oh but CPU tech IS moving forward at an incredible rate! If you realise that most i7 chips are actually UNDERclocked and that it is the chipset and MoBo manuafacturers that are slowing things down... Well, they're just there to make money, definitely not to serve us, the customer!

For the time being, overclocking is the way to go. Most i-series chips will take it, and you don't even need liquid cooling. A good, big thermal cooler with a good fan will do the trick. And ample power.

Dumonceau

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    Intel have been having (so I'm told) 'Technical Difficulties' with their 5th Generation Core chip and apparently we won't see it until the end of 2014 (so the probably means 'Sometime in 2015'), the i7-4970K aka 'Devils Canyon' that is currently available looks a decent enough fill in, coming at 4G out of the box, clocks up to 4.4G on turbo without too much trouble, but the Intel spokesperson who seemed very excited ("5G O/C under air!") must have been on 'Optimistic Pills', all reports tend to say 'not going to happen'.
    Still, it's not too shabby and I'll take anything extra in the way of CPU grunt (couldn't resist, had to have one!) that is around.
    At least it's still a socket 1150 pattern, so it should run nicely on the ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA mobo that I decided was too good to pass up ...................................... wretched excess but nothing exceeds like excess!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

My two cents - I have recently upgraded from an i7 920 ("first generation" i7, clock was 2.60GHz) to a 3770k (3.5GHz, overclocked with no effort to 4.0) and the difference in FSX is day and night. The sim was much smoother - and better in every aspect. Even the "blurries" are much less evident.
    And P3Dv2 is running at 30 fps maxed-out with my 660 card. I am happy.

Building my own rig some day will happen but not yet unfortunately (family obligations will not allow at this time).

P3D watching closely ...will probably be my next platform when I feel the time is right. Waiting for that extra something that will cause me to jump in.

Jetline systems seems to have a passionate crew who love the hobby so I have no issues compensating them for their hard work.

Thanks Rick, I may indeed have questions once I make up my mind .

My "I buy power computer" with all these great add ons In our hobby has been great but struggles with Pmdg and of course around the big cities.

Thanks all for your input and giving me some insight to help with choosing a direction.

Jim

Thank Falcon for head up on Gpu for P3D. i will consider the Nvidia Gforce Gtx 780 3gb as part of my build.So glad I got all of you as support !

Jim

Members +
    Today's computer & FSX? A contradiction of terms?

You would like a new computer to run a 6-7 year old long discontinued program?
    Maybe have a look at P3D. As you know, it's been updated many times since Lockheed got it (well, they got ESP, the pro/commercial version of FSX) from Microsoft & they have really done a good job with ongoing updates, especially moving a lot of tasks to the GPU, resulting in far better graphics/speed etc.
    Yes, there are some addons that are not compatible yet, but it was exactly the same when FSX came out & addons from FS9 were problematic. WE had the 'nay sayers' then as well.

So, my humble advice, upgrade both hardware & software.. What a ride/flight THAT will be!

I agree with the info here...

4790K seems to be the sweet spot at the moment. Paired with a gtx 770 4GB would be a great idea, especially if you plan on using P3D or XP10 ( I use all three sims)

Jetline IMHO is too far overpriced... But if you have money to burn and you want the confidence and support of a decent company they have good reviews.

I'm in the upgrade market as well but I intend to wait for the next batch of CPUs to come out, hopefully ddr4 boards next month.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Members who have read this thread: 1