The Catalina X is finally released. - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Catalina X is finally released.

hobofat
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    SO, i want to raise questions, present evidence to support my argument, and create a dialog, but i'm terrified that if i do, all you guys are gonna get this idea that i'm just some know it all bitch who should mind her own business and stay out of the boys realm and in the kitchen..
    Even if as a hobby we strive for as much realism as possible, ultimately we're all sitting in front of computers playing make-believe airplane pilot! Anybody who would suggest the above to you is undoubtedly delusional and worthy of .

I do understand about being shy and not wishing to step on toes of another engineer, my spouse is the same way even in areas she is the expert on.

[QUOTE=warchild;168962]yeahhhhhh, i saw the wiki. it places top speed at 195 MPH and cruise at 120 MPH.. Warbird Alley and a few other sites place the top speed at 179 mph which seems more realistic to me than the 195 mph, bbut even the 195 seemed more realistic to me than 110..

PM Sent

In Brief:

- 110 mph is a low speed cruise, and should definitely not be maximal. 120MPH is extrmely vague since it does not take into account; Weight, Engine Speed, Manifold Pressure, or Altitude.

- I'm at job #1 and can't give solid answers until I get home and have the peformance manuals in front of me.

Kind Regards,
    John

Pam, I'll point Finn to this post, he'll be more than happy to answer your questions I'm sure.

Edit: Didn't see Johns post above when writing this message.
    Cheers,

Nick

(screenshotartist - long gone)

Hi Pam, Smoothie, John and Nick

Iīm Finn the xml/gauge developer on the Catalina.

I will really like to answer You questions.

Regarding the Flightmodel, I see John Cagle is present here too.

John is the flightmodel developer on the Catalina and certainly has much more knowledge on these matters than I do.

So itīs btter to let him explain the physics behind.

Best regards
    Finn Jacobsen

I am looking forward to the "right" paintkits. For those of you who might have read "The Mediterranean Caper" by Clive Cussler, you may remember this one...

(BTW - I am waiting for a response from Dr. Cussler and his Numa people to check out the colours)

Mind you, Dirk Pitt might have found the armed Cat a bit more to his liking. I painted this with the beta textures last year in early Summer, before the flight dynamics and engines were animated. - the final offerings will be with Dags "new" textures. He has done the bees knees with his paints!
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

Blog Entries
    John got ahold of me. I'm really looking forward to the conversation as it's not just a learning opportunity for me, but a chance to talk shop with another number buster like me.. Thats a very rare opportunity ..

regarding the 120mph cruise. yeahhhh, that is vague, but librarians and historians rarely put down details like weight, headwinds, altitude and so on. In General, i usually assume that speeds are given based on ideal weather ( no headwinds updrafts etc, and a perfect outside air temp which we all know is theoretical) and standard flight loading of fuel and crew without passengers or cargo.. Beyond that, there's just too many variables to come up with anything accurate..

Blog Entries
    Aw jeez Chris. thats outstanding.. looking forward to it ..

there is a retired Coastie Cat pilot here in my town i can ask...if there is are...specific questions. I just met him a month ago or so but i can track him down at the diner most of us have breakfast when in town. He also flies a restored H-5s, so he flies both horizantal and rotary but he seems very nice and I can ask.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Quote Originally Posted by CBris View Post
    I am looking forward to the "right" paintkits. For those of you who might have read "The Mediterranean Caper" by Clive Cussler, you may remember this one...

(BTW - I am waiting for a response from Dr. Cussler and his Numa people to check out the colours)

Looks great, but what is the gunner for?

Chris,

I'm, a long time Dirk Pitt fan - I'd love to have that. Very well done.

Glenn

On Another Planet
    I know you guys over at Aerosoft have heard this many times before but I just want to tell you again that you should be very proud of this bird. I was never a huge fan of Amphibs and flying boats but after seeing the preview screenies of this project I was instantly hooked. Now that I have flown it a few times I must say this is an exceptional plane in just about every aspect that I can see. It will definately be a favorite of mine for a long time to come. Thanks for an amazing plane Aerosoft! That makes two of your planes on my favorite list
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

What a great plane!
    A few screenshots hope you like them.

Them look much better in 1920*1200 BMP!

I dunno, they look pretty damn good to me at this resolution! Nice shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by bkeske View Post
    Looks great, but what is the gunner for?

That would be Al Giordino getting his own back on that pesky Albatross that was shooting up the US Air Base...

No, as I said, I did that paint when there was only the one model available to us beta testers. Of course Pitt will get a "Civvy" version.

Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

yago9
    A nightmare to repaint without a kit but I had to try a quick one..I put it on the wrong model and now I have to rename like 30 files to mach the correct version..So textures are not interchangeable without renaming .

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...ina/1147869/M/

yago9
    Hard to stop taking shots of this old lady..

Blog Entries
    Some really nice shots here. She is a beautiful lady...great job Aerosoft!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Beautiful, Yago9, but isn't the star upside down?

Glenn

Error message

Whenever I select any of these great Cats I get this error message:

"Oh no, that's not the right aircraft."

Then the selected Cat loads and operates correctly.
    John
    ATC USN Ret

Thats because the soundmodule doesnīt accept an Id number in itīs config file.

Are You sure that You answered yes when selecting each of the Catalina versions the first time You loaded them (You will be asked when selecting a PBY-5, PBY-5A and PBY-6A) ?

It will also show You this message if the .air file name has changed, or the if the .air file has been changed !

Please Re-install the Catalina and make sure to answer yes when prompted.

Finn Jacobsen
    (XML / gauge developer on the Catalina)

yago9
    Quote Originally Posted by glennc View Post
    Beautiful, Yago9, but isn't the star upside down?

Glenn

Sure is..That,s called work in progress screenshot.. Without a kit ,it just a quessing game to place stuff..Not a friendly layout for photoreal textures ,that,s for sure. Only a off-curiosity try out, nothing more.Black shiny planes are the hardest to paint in FS to look right. This model has perfect default textures and I really dont need any other, but this is what I do as FS entertainment sometimes...Great job Aerosoft again..

It looks fantastic so far! Are the highlights and glossiness pure model, or are they baked into your photo textures?

well even though I shouldn't have - I bought it.

the dollars are a little tight just now but there are some things you just gotta do...yes?

anyways - its a beauty

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0-35-7-843.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...-47-57-640.jpg
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

yago9
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    It looks fantastic so far! Are the highlights and glossiness pure model, or are they baked into your photo textures?
    it,s the texture..Take a look one page back and you can see it without photoreal accents..for that I wished I had a stronger and more visible bump map like the one in that beautiful NUMA repaint...I need those rivets..

Members who have read this thread: 1