There's a new Dragon in the skys [Released to SOH 18 Sep 21] - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: There's a new Dragon in the skys [Released to SOH 18 Sep 21]

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    They work, but you'll have to convert them to the new dds format, and possibly adapt the comp files

I'm still converting:
    jk7863 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    jk7823 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    Brilliant neighbour!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Just uploaded my first three textures to flightsim.to, more coming over the weekend
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

ran into the maximum uploads per hour at flightsim.to...

ok, might as well add another
    jk7974 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

or two:
    jk7961 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

or three:
    jk7983 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

They work, but you'll have to convert them to the new dds format, and possibly adapt the comp files
    Thanks JanKees. Good to know. It was a long time ago now, but you might remember it was thanks to your encouragement and advice that I managed to do that AA repaint in the first place!

I haven't done much in the the new SDK yet, only some adaptation and conversion of scenery objects but the process for repaints doesn't sound too difficult. I'll have a look at it next I think.

I'm still converting:
    I was hoping you would be. I think Flightsim.to will be getting a visit first thing in the morning. Looking forward to getting those liveries again.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar

I'm still converting:
    jk7863 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk7842 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    Interesting story. VH-UTV is owned by a Doctor Roy Fox (or last I heard). Being a urologist he owned several vintage aircraft all with registrations related to urinary problems. UTV was related to Urinary Tract Virus and another he owned was registered VH-UTI for Urinary Tract Infection.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Interesting story. VH-UTV is owned by a Doctor Roy Fox (or last I heard). Being a urologist he owned several vintage aircraft all with registrations related to urinary problems. UTV was related to Urinary Tract Virus and another he owned was registered VH-UTI for Urinary Tract Infection.
    Fascinating. I hope he also had a plane registered VH-PPP.

August

I've updated the model to v1.1. New VC glass material, minor FD and model fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    I've updated the model to v1.1. New VC glass material, minor FD and model fixes.
    Thank You!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Blog Entries
    Many thanks Dave

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​Many thanks Dave.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

thank you, Dave!

and I just uploaded the last of my Dragon paints (for now) on flightsim.to, 17 in all, so have fun!

jk8115 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    Thank you so much, Dave. Brilliant work

Thank you, Dave!

And thank you, Jankees, for the great paints!

Thanks Dave & Jankees too! The more classic planes we can get in MSFS, the better I shall like it.

Blog Entries
    I only seem to be able to find version 1 in the library, is anyone else having this problem?

It's listed as version 1, but when you download and extract the zip file the folder is named MSFS_Rapide_v1.1.

Beautiful work, Dave. Great to have this back in my hangar.

Can I have some advice about where to set the CG? In the weight and balance screen, the permitted CG range currently is set to be from 0% to 100% of mean aerodynamic chord (unlikely) and the empty CG is at 5.9% of MAC (also unlikely). But I know that these values are often meaningless in MSFS. Do you recommend that we just leave the starting CG where it is, or slide it back to something plausible like 25% MAC, or ??? The plane seems to require some up elevator trim to stay level in cruise with the default CG.

Thanks for the great plane!

August

I've re-set the CG to MSFS specs in mine so that I don't have to adjust anything on screen:

empty_weight_CG_position = -1.45, 0, 0
    CG_forward_limit =0.12
    CG_aft_limit =0.33

I've also changed the load to help with this, and the nose-over when braking:

max_number_of_stations =8

station_load.0 = 170, 5.8, 0.0, 1, TT:MENU.PAYLOAD.PILOT, 1
    station_load.1 = 170, 3.2, 1.3, 1, TT:MENU.PAYLOAD.PASSENGER_01, 3
    station_load.2 = 170, 3.2, -1.3, 1, TT:MENU.PAYLOAD.PASSENGER_02, 3
    station_load.3 = 170, 0.7, 1.3, 1, TT:MENU.PAYLOAD.PASSENGER_03, 3
    station_load.4 = 170, 0.7, -1.3, 1, TT:MENU.PAYLOAD.PASSENGER_04, 3
    station_load.5 = 170, -1.8, 1.3, 1, TT:MENU.PAYLOAD.PASSENGER_05, 3
    station_load.6 = 170, -1.8, -1.3, 1, TT:MENU.PAYLOAD.PASSENGER_06, 3
    station_load.7 = 85, -3.3, 0.0, 1, TT:MENU.PAYLOAD.BAGGAGE_01, 6

This gives a slightly rearward CG so you can use the brakes with confidence, but you could still move the slider on screen if you want a central or forward CG.

Edit: One other adjustment you may want to make is to the static pitch - in the opening videos when you click "Fly" the tail is up in the air - I've managed to fix this so that it's on the ground even when you press "Y" for slew mode:

static_pitch = 15
    static_cg_height = 5.3

There's also an error in the max number of contact points, which should be 12:

max_number_of_points = 12

The last 2 points are Class 17, whatever that is? I only know of 5 classes from FSX/FS9.

I forgot about the Oil Pressure gauges which are reading very low - normal is 70 according to the placard next to them. In the engines.cfg, [PISTON_ENGINE] section, look for the oil_press_max line and change it to this:

oil_press_max=11837

I'm glad someone knows what they're doing with this stuff.

Thank you Dave, you've created a superb model which is well worth the time and effort - actually it's been great fun and very interesting, who am I kidding?

Thanks Tiger, I sometimes mess around with those CG values in the cfg myself, and I appreciate you sharing your parameters. I will give them a try.

Couple more things I just noticed about the contact points. There is no point.9, so there are only 11 points. I don't know what happens when you number the contact points non-consecutively.

The two points with type "17" (I've not seen that either; the SDK defines "16" as the new contact point type for skis, but I've wondered if that is really supposed to be "6") are in a strange position, just inboard of the landing gear and at a height of around the lower wing or something. Hard to imagine them ever touching the ground, so I've commented them out. Not sure they are even intended to be there, they might be a vestige of some donor CFG file. Dave's max_number_of_points probably should stay set to 9. (There were only 9 contact points in the FSX/P3D version.)

August

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    I've re-set the CG to MSFS specs in mine so that I don't have to adjust anything on screen:

That makes a big improvement - well worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Thanks Tiger, I sometimes mess around with those CG values in the cfg myself, and I appreciate you sharing your parameters. I will give them a try.

Couple more things I just noticed about the contact points. There is no point.9, so there are only 11 points. I don't know what happens when you number the contact points non-consecutively.

The two points with type "17" (I've not seen that either; the SDK defines "16" as the new contact point type for skis, but I've wondered if that is really supposed to be "6") are in a strange position, just inboard of the landing gear and at a height of around the lower wing or something. Hard to imagine them ever touching the ground, so I've commented them out. Not sure they are even intended to be there, they might be a vestige of some donor CFG file. Dave's max_number_of_points probably should stay set to 9. (There were only 9 contact points in the FSX/P3D version.)

August
    Well spotted, August, thank you - I've done the same with mine now.

I think those last 2 entries were left over from when I was playing about with the SDK sample DA62. Obviously should have been removed, sorry about that. I'll update my source files, and add in the improvements mentioned in this thread.

Members who have read this thread: 4