Windows 10 NOTAM

Thread: Windows 10 NOTAM

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar

Windows 10 NOTAM

Just a heads up if your W7, W8.0, 8.1 watch your task bar for W10 Upgrade free. It is making rounds as of now. I have mine in reserve DL. So wont know anything till DL complete's.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Checking windows update now! Thanks for the HU!

Johan

Blog Entries
    its on my machine too, i havent downloaded it yet
    Look What I Have Become!

A free upgrade? I haven't figured out the catch, yet, but with M$oft there's bound to be one.
    Having read their own promo, I find there's nothing to interest me since I'm really a Luddite at heart, and don't want my computer to know anything but what I want it to know and tell all to all.

I certainly will wait about a year while they fix their blunders.

Bring back steam locomotives, Glenn Miller, and an automobile that is just designed to look like one and simply provides economical, comfortable transportation.

Oh, well. sigh.

Have you seen this over on our FSX forum?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...4278-Must-read

However well intended of M$oft, it is truly tacky. M$oft knows best, of course.
    I'm not so concerned that there is suspicious NSA-like activity, although who knows; I'm just annoyed at their imperious notion that they own the software I bought and paid for, and can come in and do this and that at their discretion.
    Last edited by KellyB; June 1st, 2015 at 05:31.

Saw the notice in my taskbar last night. What is the "Reserve DL"? Does that just download to your machine, but doesn't install (until you're ready)?

This comes at a time when I've got too many other priorities, so I don't want to deal with any OS issues until I've had some free time and until I understand more of what to expect. Their approach is totally different than when they pushed to upgrade from Win8.0 to Win8.1.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Blog Entries
    here is what it says

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win10.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	23629
    Look What I Have Become!

Of course, that task bar notification is courtesy of KB3035583 that Nick Needham warned about in the link in KellyB's post. Also there is this with more info:

http://www.techspot.com/news/60845-m...e-upgrade.html

I'll probably take advantage of MS's offer to upgrade our Win7 systems for free... but not until the year of free offer is almost up. I'll let them get their product somewhat sorted during that year.

It is pretty cheesy of MS to dump those KB's on their users just so the developer can cram their new OS on us (whether we're ready to download or not). Thanks to Nick's instructions I've removed KB3035583 and the 3 other KB's from our systems here. For the past few weeks something has been making my otherwise smooth and well performing sim hiccup and stutter occasionally, and it certainly was at least one of the aforementioned KB's.

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Ahh, thanks....

The techspot link answers some of my questions. Now its a matter of digesting it all and making a decision on our home computers.

I haven't encountered any of the issues others have raised in regards to the KB installs. My main concern is how the wife might adjust to the new OS on her Win7 laptop. She's my most vocal critic.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

I won't be "upgrading" my main development computer any time soon, that's for sure and certain. I have a relatively smooth production pipeline set up right now and will not risk being "down with problems" at all.

I do have a backup dev computer that I will probably allow the Win10 upgrade on so I can then safely test my current software and pipeline to ensure there are no problems.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Icon22 Reply...

Good morning,

I have also made sure not to participate in this "free" upgrade.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Well, my system meets and exceeds the minimum requirements, plus I made sure ALL of the suggested methods to make the "Win 10" app appear in my task bar, but nothing works. Even tried the Cmd script suggestion.

Tried everything, but no go. And yes, I do have the KB303583 update installed, and my updates are set to Auto. I have read and reread suggestions from several websites, including MS. Nothing works.

I want Win 10, especially if free, but am not going to pay for it. NC

Win 10 pricing

Windows 10 will cost $119 if you're not eligible for Microsoft's free upgrade

IMHO, I think Win X will install over your Win 7/8 or whatever and that is nice but, if your HD should
    crash and you don't have any backup i.e. install DVD's to put it all back before your HD crashed or changed HD's what then?
    Just one caveat I wanted to make mention.......

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/870...s-10-price-119

As I understand it, you have a year to install the Windows 10 upgrade after it downloads. So a person could let it download and just lose the harddrive space.

I'm thinking I'll wait it out and see what happens to the brave upgraders. If it's the best thing since buttered toast, I'll buy a new harddrive, back up everything to it, and give it a go.

that's Plan A...

Dick

Members +
    And again....
    Navy Chief ... it's free for the first year.

Its an UPDATE, not an upgrade!
    On the 29th July, if allowed, it will install itself just like any other update that comes from Microsoft.
    We have 12 months to decide if we want this update or not. During this 12 month initial period it is free.
    Once it is installed, it will UPDATE your W7 or W8 operating system to Windows10 (NOT Windows X! for goodness sake. We do not call FSX FS10!
    When it is installed, system updates will be installed, if allowed, on a weekly basis, just as it always has been. So, in 12 months time, you will have a Windows10, (not a WindowsX operating system) with a years worth of updates.
    Doing it this way means small updates instead of larger Service packs.
    So, in a year's time, after the initial 12 month release, it will have to be paid for, if you want your system updated.

It is a bit confusing as to why we can reserve the update, when we will be able to get it anyway on the 29th July.

More info some of which I don't like at all.

According to Microsoft's Windows 10 website under the "Feature deprecation section," it says:

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
    • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software.
    • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
    • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
    • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
    • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
    • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

Let's take these in order.
    Media Center is a Windows program that lets you watch and record TV using TV third-party tuner cards in your computer. It's also a nice way to manage and interact with your videos, music and other media. You can replace this with a free program like Kodi, but test out the new program before you upgrade to make sure it does everything you want.
    Windows 10 is taking out DVD playback. You can still watch DVDs with a free program like VLC.
    Windows already ditched desktop gadgets, such as the clock, calendar, CPU meter and others, in Windows 8, but Windows 7 users might still want them. Several companies like Winaero make third-party gadget programs that bring these back.
    The line about Windows 10 Home updating automatically is a little vague, but it likely means that new updates are downloaded and installed automatically no matter what. This is good for people who have the wrong update settings or don't update when they should. Unfortunately, it might also mean you can't stop a bad update from installing. We'll have to wait for Microsoft to give more details.
    When it comes to games, you'll need to go to the Microsoft App Store to download the familiar Solitaire and Minesweeper. It sounds like Hearts is gone for now, but you can find plenty of free versions to install. When we get closer to Windows 10, I'll put some up in my Downloads section.
    Those with USB floppy drives will need to reinstall the driver. I'm betting this won't be a big problem.
    Windows Live Essentials is an older set of programs Microsoft discontinued in 2013, but many people still have it. It sounds like the OneDrive program is getting tweaked, but the rest of them should stay intact if you have them.

I'm not biting this one, at least not on this machine. Between MS dribbling out info and the possibility of them altering the plan if enough criticism comes their way, it seems nobody has a firm handle on things. However, the linked articles below do help. For now I've opted to hide the W10 upgrade (that seems to be the prevailing moniker) icon and I hope that when day zero comes my computer doesn't automatically take the plunge. We might allow it to go on my kids LT as she will need to keep up with the tech for school and such. W10 also seems to try to be a little more moderate as far as sexy splash and wowee gimmicks go (or haven't gone so well for MS) lately and $119 for W10 Home sounds reasonable to me. So to wit, here's more for the pot stirring...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/869...0-feature-loss

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/edition...142023479.html

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...ades-upgraded/
    Last edited by aeromed202; June 5th, 2015 at 05:56.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Warning

Before you install Windows 10 do a 'System Image Recovery' or you can't roll back the installation. Don't use DVD use a HD partition, external HD, USB Drive or SD card.

Navy Chief, I went to the Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features then clicked on view installed updates and found KB3035583 and uninstalled it, last went to Windows Update, check for updates and reinstalled KB3035583 and rebooted and the icon showed up.

On my laptop I had to use this procedure: http://techdows.com/2015/06/how-to-enable-get-windows-10-app-icon-windows-7-or-8-1-taskbar.html
    It took DOS about an hour to make it show.

Upgrade:

Dick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrade.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Well, my system meets and exceeds the minimum requirements, plus I made sure ALL of the suggested methods to make the "Win 10" app appear in my task bar, but nothing works. Even tried the Cmd script suggestion.

Tried everything, but no go. And yes, I do have the KB303583 update installed, and my updates are set to Auto. I have read and reread suggestions from several websites, including MS. Nothing works.

I want Win 10, especially if free, but am not going to pay for it. NC
    I had this problem. Uninstall KB303583 then run Windows Update. The icon will then appear.

Members who have read this thread: 0