FSX MDL viewer update + a few things I've been working on. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FSX MDL viewer update + a few things I've been working on.

A "small" update to version 1.0.2 (beta) - internally it is much better behaved now.

A few enhancements done, still to do ambient lighting. I just thought you might like to give it a bit more of a test for me

Installer
    http://cid-06b528339820717e.office.l...ewSetup102.zip

Zipped files
    http://cid-06b528339820717e.office.l...ewFiles102.zip
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Paul
    3D trains and planes - http://decapod-3d.spaces.live.com

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    A "small" update to version 1.0.2 (beta) - internally it is much better behaved now.

A few enhancements done, still to do ambient lighting. I just thought you might like to give it a bit more of a test for me
    Will do!!

Thank you.

Just from what you've done that you list in the read-me, I like it more already.

Changes for 1.0.2 - Sept 2010

• Sky Dome added
    • Right mouse drag rotates the model in the world
    • Hold down Ctrl key and Left mouse drag to shift the camera relative to the model
    • Mouse Wheel zoom
    • Material information displayed on selection of the draw call in the list
    • Menu options for Textures on/off, coloured Draw Calls on/off and draw call display on/off
    • Better memory management
    • Better support for 24bit BMP and invalid DDS mip values from DXTBmp
    • Resize does not reset livery to default

I like the added features. Having the option to remove obtrusive windows is a plus.
    ....Although the ambient side (as you mentioned) does need something. Compared to what my paints looked like previously in the last update, the color spectrum is almost gone.

Love it!

The sun, however, acts a tad weirdly...see screenshot. (Missing alpha on the texture?)Attachment 19491

Also, the sky tends to disappear when toggling other options. But this just a minor inconvienience as it can be reenabled by toggling the appropriate checkbox.

P.S: The daylight feature is awesome!

P.P.S: Is AA/AF also supported?

A strange effect there ! - the sun is just a standard DDS file but I suspect the problem might be with my rendering sequence. Which model are you viewing in that screenshot?

In theory the program should detect if AA and AF are available and set both to the max.
    Switching to full screen may enable them properly if you don't see them to start with.
    Paul

Which model are you viewing in that screenshot?
    A custom one. Transparency with alpha channels works OK on the model.

In theory the program should detect if AA and AF are available and set both to the max.
    Yes, it does indeed. I didn't have any global AA/AF options set in the driver. *Blushes*

- Edit: Replaced your sun.dds with another one and the transparency problem is gone. Must've been a bad texture then (since I couldn't open it in Image Tool either).

Thanks for the info - I'll check the sun texture again.
    I've made a few more tweaks to the AA/AF processing so it may be better with the final version.
    Paul

What is the limit for size of model? I've tried loading the C310R and it chokes, coughs and spits a few dummys before finally loading, sort of...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    What is the limit for size of model? I've tried loading the C310R and it chokes, coughs and spits a few dummys before finally loading, sort of...
    In theory no size limit for model, textures may be limited by graphics card. If large BMP files have been used instad of DDS then it can take longer to load.

I've got mixed results running this on laptops with not all features working correctly.
    Paul

Hi Bill,

I tried the "FSX" Cessna 310 from Flightsim - it's not FSX, it's an FS2004 model (MDL8) is there a true FSX version?
    Paul

I found a 310Q for FSX at flight simulations and design and that loads OK.
    I suspect it may be slow as the program is scanning the disk to find either DDS or BMP versions of the textures in the current folder then the ..\texture folder - neither exist for the 310Q, you need to select the .2 livery for the full set to load.
    Paul

This may not relevant. In general. I've noticed that different colored, busy (er) textures take longer to load. Where as the plain no-frills model just pops right in.

I found a 310Q for FSX at flight simulations and design and that loads OK.
    That's not the one that Bill L. talked about. He was referring to the payware model from MilViz.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    That's not the one that Bill L. talked about. He was referring to the payware model from MilViz.
    Yep! That's the one. I'm working on the model at the moment to sort out some minor issues with some of the display conditions (such as 3d landing/taxi polygons that always are visible on some owner's systems), and thought I'd try the FSX MDL Viewer to see a new livery I'm also working on...

I also am experimenting with reducing the draw calls for the exterior model via LODs, and thought that using the viewer might be faster than using FSX itself. :ernae:
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Undercarriage?

This utility is great, but is there scope in the future for it to be able to display the undercarriage?

Also, will you be adding a texture for the earth like you have the sky?

all the best

I also am experimenting with reducing the draw calls for the exterior model via LODs, and thought that using the viewer might be faster than using FSX itself. :ernae:
    It always is.

Anyways, I'd be interested in your findings if you're done experimenting. :d

Quote Originally Posted by trevytt2004 View Post
    This utility is great, but is there scope in the future for it to be able to display the undercarriage?
    Also, will you be adding a texture for the earth like you have the sky?
    all the best
    In the future I do hope to include setting variables for visibility options and animations, though that will require a bit of work and there are a couple of FSX models as well as an X-plane exporter program I'd like to finish off before MS Flight appears - too much to do, so little time!

As for the Earth, I'm thinking about allowing the user to load a list of .X mesh files and textures on startup - that way you could create your own scenes in which to load the models - that would be relatively simple and might make it into the final cut of 1.0.2.
    Paul

Nice tool , like Bill i was using it with a mind to reducing draw calls and found the option to color the draw calls illuminating ,it sure beats doing this in Blender , if there were a wish list it would be the ability to hide and unhide the parts attached to these individual draw calls.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    You can measure the number of texture vertices of a given part in max provided you collapse to editable mesh and run a script :/ , but you can’t measure draw calls or check with precision the number of texture verts on a given map , just run each material to its limit and your tool will help in the effort , also a nice touch was the LOD model viewer , something we should get used to using.<o></o>
    Thanks C.J<o></o>

Visible draw calls is on the list - easy to do

Whilst I'm here, I'll showcase my latest... The Luton Minor LA-4, 1930's home build
    Only 33k polys so far and 41 draw calls.

Paul

Also done with 3D Canvas ? , nice work on the homebuilt, now i understand why "they" were interested in 3D Canvas, it is a top drawer modeling tool .

I don't know if this has any relevancy so I could just be talking to myself here. While messing about with repaints and then popping into the model viewer I got an idea. Likely it's been thought of many times but I'll speak anyway.
    ....Is it possible to use a program like decapod has here that can have a closer relationship to what your doing? What I'm referring to are the paints. Would it be possible to edit the paint via whatever paint program is used, and have the ability to view it (and edit it) in real time? Kind of similar to the way that can be done with Flight1 Airport Facility X and being able to view the changes right in the sim.

That would be fantastic. Kind of an all in one plug-in (Adobe Photoshop-DXTBMP-Imagetool-MdlViewer) to incorporate all the functions to one program type thing.

Ok, I'll go back to my paint booth.

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    I don't know if this has any relevancy so I could just be talking to myself here. While messing about with repaints and then popping into the model viewer I got an idea. Likely it's been thought of many times but I'll speak anyway.
    ....Is it possible to use a program like decapod has here that can have a closer relationship to what your doing? What I'm referring to are the paints. Would it be possible to edit the paint via whatever paint program is used, and have the ability to view it (and edit it) in real time? Kind of similar to the way that can be done with Flight1 Airport Facility X and being able to view the changes right in the sim.

That would be fantastic. Kind of an all in one plug-in (Adobe Photoshop-DXTBMP-Imagetool-MdlViewer) to incorporate all the functions to one program type thing.

Ok, I'll go back to my paint booth.
    Boy oh boy.......if that could happen, that would be just like a paint booth.....great if multiple layer could also be supported to allow for moving insignia markings etc.....around....dreaming...

A "reload aircraft and currently used texture set" button would do the trick as well.

Very useful tool, thanks very much!

Another suggestion - up close the perspectival effect is mighty strong. Wouldn't it be nice to have an optional non-perspectival display?

Also perhaps an omnilight feature, or an option to add light source(s) where one wants or needs them, e.g. below the fuselage etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    A "reload aircraft and currently used texture set" button would do the trick as well.
    Yeah yeah, I know. It sounds good though!!

Is there anything more going on with this decapod?

Update to SlimDX for MDLviewer

I was just getting things reinstalled in preparation of future repaints and found this.

March 2011

Introduction

The March 2011 release of SlimDX is now out!

The March 2011 release of SlimDX was a bug fixing and stability release. In this release we diverged from the usual practice of synchronizing our schedule with that of the DirectX SDK, mostly due to the long wait since the previous release, June 2010. March 2011 boasts several bug fixes, some performance improvements, a few bits of missing functionality, and a couple new samples, and we decided that we couldn't wait any longer for the release.

http://slimdx.org/download.php