It ain't much...

Thread: It ain't much...

Didn't quite escape.

It ain't much...

...but it's somewhere else to call home if people want to.

I didn't quite give up on gmax. OK, so a straight, grass covered, 65' long berm between two "panhandle" dispersals ain't quite up to Jim D or Bill W standard, but I needed it, so I made it. With any luck, I'll be able to make a couple of other things I need too, but I have no intention of getting into 3d model design beyond very basics.

Anyway. Meet RAF Winkleigh in North Devon. Apart from sounding like the punchline to a bawdy joke (Brawdy joke?) as someone suggested, it was a night fighter station covering the South Coast, with a couple of visits from the USAAF flying Photo-Recon Spitfires, some night anti-shipping patrollers and, the reason I built it, a brief visit from 161 Squadron (Special Duties) with a Lysander.

Not available yet, because I still have more work to do on it, but it's getting there - and it has a lot more structures than most of my airfields do!

That is looking really nice!
    "What do you hear?" "Nothing but the rain!" "Then grab your gun and bring the cat in!" "Boom, boom, boom!"

BananaBob
    Looks good, thanks!

Didn't quite escape.
    Thanks Gents...

It'll probably be some time before this one hits v1.0, because the other thing I need to build to get what I want is rather more difficult than the grass berm. I may give up and just stick 0.5 on my server at some point.

I should probably stick up some credits as well, because most of it isn't my work... any camouflaged buildings, the fighter pens and the blister hangars are Bill Womack. The other buildings and the trucks are ACES default objects. The only thing I made is that wierd shaped angular blob with a photoreal grass texture that you can see half hiding the A2A Spit in the last shot.

I still hate gmax, for the record. Now. Time for

Master of Disaster
    Outstanding as usual Ian!!

Your stuff always works for me Ian!

Looks really good to me also.

Ian, this looks good! My first airport only had one custom model. Everything else was due to the kindness of strangers.

now that looks sweet.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Its a wonderful little field and bravo for sticking to GMAX mr P,.. gawd knows how Bill helped you in the state you were getting in .

Its a wonderful field for cross country flights using your ports, devon to halesworth suffolk.

Well if that isn't cool I don't know what is. Good job sir!

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Very nice work Ian! Congrats man!

:ernae: :ernae:

Once you 'sync' with Gmax, you just start cooking in speed. Its a great 3D design engine. I can literally 'sketch' planes in 3D with it. Scenery can be done swiftly (buildings, not terrain mesh). Its awesome.. So is your scenery project!

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Charter Member 2014
    Nice, nice, nice!!!
    Top quality as usual, Ian...

Stephan

Didn't quite escape.
    It looks like it will be more than "some time" before I get to do any more modelling, so I've put the base files for the current version up on my site. There are no installation instructions (indeed no readme) right now and you'll need either the RealAir Spitfire pack, my RAF Digby or RAF Hixon (from http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk) installed to see Bill Womack's buildings. If you want it, though, here it is:

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/his...h/IJP_EGZW.zip

Have fun, mutter darkly about or totally ignore, as you wish...

For those who wish to be accurate about what they fly from it, the list is as follows:

RAF:
    161Sqn (det) - Lysander - summer 1944
    286Sqn (det) - Hurricane, Defiant - Apr 1944 - ?
    406Sqn - Mosquito - 14 Apr 1944 > 17 Sep 1944
    415Sqn (det) - Albacore, Wellington - May >12 Jul 1944
    NTB - Harvard, Oxford - Jan 1945 > Nov 1945

USAAF:
    12PRS - Spitfire - Oct 1943 > Dec 1943.

(Squadron details from The Military Airfields of Britain - South Western England by Ken Delve).

EgoR64
    Hi IanP,

Looks great !!

Many Cheers !!

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    H

Looking great Ian. As always your airfields are top notch.

Members who have read this thread: 1