Avsim Destroyed!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avsim Destroyed!!

Avsim Destroyed!!

Folks,

Today, AVSIM was destroyed by a hacker. Both of our primary servers were hacked and the partition tables destroyed, and that will be very difficult to overcome. I won’t speculate on who did it, but we will have a forensic done on our disks and scrutinize the logs to validate our suspicions.

I would appreciate if you could post the following as a news item or announcement on your websites or forums. Check Avon Brochure and Builders Warehouse Specials. Nels and Francois, I know we have been competitors, but I would very much appreciate you posting this on your web sites, if you could.

PRESS RELEASE: AVSIM Hacked!!

Tom Allensworth, CEO and Publisher of AVSIM, today issued the following announcement; “We regret to inform the flight simulation community that on Tuesday, May 12, AVSIM was hacked and effectively destroyed. The method of the hack makes recovery difficult, if not impossible, to recover from. Both servers, that is the library / email and web site / forum servers were attacked. AVSIM is totally offline at this time and we expect to be so for some time to come. We are not able to predict when we will be back online, if we can come back at all. We will post more news as we are able to in the coming days and weeks.
    END

Best Regards,
    Tom Allensworth
    Best Regards,
    Ron Hamilton

WHAAAT!!!

No way!!! :O

WHAT THE..... this is not good at all not good this is kinda like our um holly place being nuked here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why on earth...?
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

Let's watch our language in here folks.

I despise those little rats with nothing better to do than tear down other people's hard work too but let's keep the language clean.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Lets take the hackers out and s---t them....

Then bring them back to life.. nurture them, and ship them to a really rough chinese prison.... Only for 5 years.. thats all..

man....

I was at AVSIM earlier this evening, and noticed some studders start to occur. It must have been right when it started.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Sounds like they have a pretty good idea who is culpable. Hope they get their comeuppance. This just plain meanness.

I never could understand the philosophy of the vandal.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Sounds like they have a pretty good idea who is culpable. Hope they get their comeuppance. This just plain meanness.
    I never could understand the philosophy of the vandal.
    The philosophy is simple..destroy everything and everyone you can.
    Same philosophy the terrorists used on 9/11 and every other time they've attacked people.

Time for a wake up call to the fact that the net has its own set of cyber terrorists.
    Best Regards,
    Ron Hamilton

That's just senseless.

SOH-CM-2014
    It trully is terrorism...

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    That's just senseless.
    Yup, straight out of the pit senseless..but then so is blowing themselves up :isadizzy:
    Best Regards,
    Ron Hamilton

Charter Member 2011
    If you are reading this, you nasty little hacker...and who knows, maybe you are...then know this:

There are thousands of people who utterly despise you for what you have done.

May this thought cause you unease for the rest of your life.

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    If you are reading this, you nasty little hacker...and who knows, maybe you are...then know this:

There are thousands of people who utterly despise you for what you have done.

May this thought cause you unease for the rest of your life.
    Amen....

wow...that's very sad to hear.

i do hope they come back. Usually the new version will be even better than the old. There is always a positive in the negative.

we just have to be patient and wait until everything is back up.

-feng

Bush Viking
    This is terible news indeed. The cracker/s are a bunch of mindless idiots and deserve the worst that the law can trow at them.

I wonder who / what organization is responsible, and hope that the guys at Avsim will have the support to get back up. - No doubt it will cost them much !

I wonder if the People at Avsim could advise Ickie what vulnerability was exploited - so that SOH may be prepared and take the appropriate precautionary measures - Were they on a Windows server or a linux server, what type of entry did the crackers use, etc.

That is bad news indeed! The loss of the AVSim library is a huge blow to the flight simming community, from CFS1 all the way up to FSX. I know that a lot of what was on AVSim is available on Flightsim.com, Simviation.com and here in our library, but I know that some stuff in the AVSim library could only be found there.

And this gets me to thinking. I have been uploading exclusively to the SOH/CombatFs library. I think from here on out, I will begin uploading to Flightsim.com and Simviation.com to give my files a better chance of surviving into the future...flight simmers 20 years from now will need something to laugh at! Unless what I am uploading a sound pack based on Lawdog's files, which according to his read me files must only be uploaded on SOH/Combatfs, this seems like a good thing to do from this point on.

OBIO

Words fail me, and they think they are so smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Words fail me, and they think they are so smart.
    I know what you mean...it's terribly frustrating. What a total waste.

I don't understand why someone would pick something like AvSim. It has no strategic interest, it does not effect the economy, it's strictly a hobby site.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

hewman100
    Has the Flight Sim community done something wrong to deserve all these blows recently?

Netwings, our own server dying, and now this act of wanton vandalism?????????

SOH-CM-2023
    Oh, Man! There are files of mine on Avsim that I don't even have on my own computer anymore! I always used Avsim as my backup.

I know of a few old water filled quarry's out in the woods that wold be handy for disposing of certain... Undesirable... things.

Brian
    You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by hewman100 View Post
    Has the Flight Sim community done something wrong to deserve all these blows recently?
    Netwings, our own server dying, and now this act of wanton vandalism?????????
    No, but a couple of names come readily to mind who would be capable of doing this out of plain spite.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Oh, Man! There are files of mine on Avsim that I don't even have on my own computer anymore! I always used Avsim as my backup.
    Ditto. :isadizzy: Though I'm also pissed off about years of forums archive.

Hope they track them down.

SOH-CM-2024
    You know, I hate this. When things come down to this sort of vandalism, I sometimes think we had best go back to the Stone Age and work a little better on this "progress" thing!

And if found, chances are, all the basticks'll get is a wrist slap and a job! :angryfir:

Caz