Milviz Phantom navigation lights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milviz Phantom navigation lights

Milviz Phantom navigation lights

Has anyone reported problems with the navigation lights? The starboard light is lit, nothing from the port side. The landing light works, but that's all. Also, the tail light is on the ground behind the aircraft......NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Has anyone reported problems with the navigation lights? The starboard light is lit, nothing from the port side. The landing light works, but that's all. Also, the tail light is on the ground behind the aircraft......NC

J/S or E?

Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

I queried that I only have one red on the port wing and 2 greens on the stbd.. Colin said that was correct.. this on the J. I'm used to seeing 2 reds on the Iris model. Maybe Iris got it wrong or the FG1 actually did have 2 reds. Don't think I've tried the landing lights.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post
    J/S or E?

Zsolt
    F-4J

And I don't see any light on port wing tip. NC

NC..

No.. I don't either and am curious as to why Colin thinks this is correct. Deep somewhere in the manual probably lurks an explanation!!

I've searched the web this very morning looking at F-4J shots and those with identifiable lights showing have the fwd lights on only.. not the rears. The Milviz model defaults to the rears. I'm not convinced this is correct but without actual proof.. I don't want to say anything over there.

Re my comment above having one red on the port side and two greens on the left.. I loaded the J up and did a flight before checking here on the forum and this time, I had 1 red and one green either side. Not sure if I clicked (or didn't click) anything different this time

EDIT: Found this info relating specifically to the FG1/K so may not be 100% for the J..

This information comes from the Aircrew Manual of a British FG 1. It is possible that there are some differencies between FG 1 and F-4J. There are quite many lights on the Phantom not just the navigation lights. Here is some information:

Navigation lights:
    -red light on port wingtip, visible from front to 110 degrees to the side
    -green light on starboard wingtip, visible from front to 110 degrees to the side
    -white light on the fin just above rudder or on drag chute door, visible from a sector of 140 degrees
    These lights are steady (they won't flash) but the pilot can dim them.

Join-up Lights:
    -red light on port wing tip, visible from back
    -green light on starboard wingtip, visible from back
    These lights are also steady and pilot can dim them.

Fuselage Lights:
    -one white light under each air inlet duct
    -one white light over the number 2 cell
    Pilot can choose either these lights are steady or flashing and he can dim them.

Anti-Collision Light:
    -one red light in the fin leading edge
    This light flashes if Fuselage Lights are bright and flashing.

Then there is Landing Light, Taxi Light and possibly a light for aerial refuelling.

EOEdit.
    ATB
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; April 8th, 2016 at 06:39. Reason: Additional info

I have a PDF of the NATOPS F-4B manual and it seems to have the same exterior lighting as in Dave's description.

Both position and join-up lights are on the same switch, so you should see both when wing lights are on.

The tail light is controlled seperately from the wing lights.

Interesting (to me) is that the anti-collision light can not be independently controlled, it only comes on when the fuselage lights are on bright setting.
    Last edited by pfflyers; April 8th, 2016 at 08:22. Reason: Tried to make post make sense

Yeah.. that does seem odd but reading the FG1 'Lighting' section again and again.. that's how it operates.

I'm sure there's something amiss with the MV F-4J's lighting code as when you load the aircraft.. all exterior lights are off. Make the Steady/Flash light to steady and only the aft red/green wing lights come on. Make the Wing light and the fwd green comes on. Make all light switches to off and the fwd green remains on. Shomething wong me thinks

Off to see if I can find a lighting master switch to the left of the throttles on the J.

EDIT: If there IS a master external lighting switch on the LH side of the throttles.. it's in a position out of my eyesight.. even with the throttles advanced. The Natops manual supplied with the F-4J also has the lighting section and they work as per the F-4B and FG1/FGR2. The Steady/Flash switch should only control the fuse and tail lights but the wing lights flash (those it has) too on this model. Oo-er!!!
    ATB
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; April 8th, 2016 at 09:34. Reason: additional comment

NC (et-al)..

I've reported the lights issue over at Milviz. If you don't hear from me again.. you'll know it didn't go down well!!

ATB
    DaveB

Ok, here is a screenshot of what I see. F-4J model. All exterior lights on (except Probe, which does work). There is no port wing tip light on. Starboard wing tip, yes. And taxi, and two lights on the tail. All lights are set to bright. The taxi light does not seem that bright, however. NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Starboard side.jpg   Port side.jpg  

NC..

You can see there's no port fwd light in the 892Sqn shots I posted. I've looked at the model in MCX (the lights are modelled.. not effects) and there isn't a port fwd.

TBH.. the wing lights (that are there) are far too big anyway. You shouldn't really see the rear wing lights (especially on dim).. try finding a shot of one visible online. The anti collision light on the LE fin is equally oversize. Damned shame that on a $60 model.. so little attention is paid to lights. Milviz are not alone though.. far from it.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    NC..

You can see there's no port fwd light in the 892Sqn shots I posted. I've looked at the model in MCX (the lights are modelled.. not effects) and there isn't a port fwd.

TBH.. the wing lights (that are there) are far too big anyway. You shouldn't really see the rear wing lights (especially on dim).. try finding a shot of one visible online. The anti collision light on the LE fin is equally oversize. Damned shame that on a $60 model.. so little attention is paid to lights. Milviz are not alone though.. far from it.

ATB
    DaveB
    Thanks Dave.

Am guessing if I wanted to modify the lights to my liking, using Shockwave Lights, except I've never done that; only installed the .cfg entries that someone else had created! NC

Shockwave lights would definitely look better.. especially for the trailing edge. I'm not sure how you'd get rid of the modelled effect though. The panel.cfg gives little away Pity it's not a normal effect attached to the model.. they could be changed with a hex editor then but looking at attached effects in MCX only shows the landing light, afterburner and engine.. no nav's

ATB
    DaveB

Interesting how this screenshot from a website ad about the Milviz Phantom, shows lights all over the aircraft, clearly! NC

and one from real life, but not sure of model

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpeg   image.jpg  

The real life variant in your picture is the F-4EJ.

Interesting that even on that poorly exposed dusk shot which over-emphasises the lights, you can't see the rear formation lights. You can add the slime using shift+1 from within the sim NC

ATB
    DaveB

NC..

No.. I don't either and am curious as to why Colin thinks this is correct. Deep somewhere in the manual probably lurks an explanation!!

I've searched the web this very morning looking at F-4J shots and those with identifiable lights showing have the fwd lights on only.. not the rears. The Milviz model defaults to the rears. I'm not convinced this is correct but without actual proof.. I don't want to say anything over there.

Re my comment above having one red on the port side and two greens on the left.. I loaded the J up and did a flight before checking here on the forum and this time, I had 1 red and one green either side. Not sure if I clicked (or didn't click) anything different this time

EDIT: Found this info relating specifically to the FG1/K so may not be 100% for the J..

This information comes from the Aircrew Manual of a British FG 1. It is possible that there are some differencies between FG 1 and F-4J. There are quite many lights on the Phantom not just the navigation lights. Here is some information:

Navigation lights:
    -red light on port wingtip, visible from front to 110 degrees to the side
    -green light on starboard wingtip, visible from front to 110 degrees to the side
    -white light on the fin just above rudder or on drag chute door, visible from a sector of 140 degrees
    These lights are steady (they won't flash) but the pilot can dim them.

Join-up Lights:
    -red light on port wing tip, visible from back
    -green light on starboard wingtip, visible from back
    These lights are also steady and pilot can dim them.

Fuselage Lights:
    -one white light under each air inlet duct
    -one white light over the number 2 cell
    Pilot can choose either these lights are steady or flashing and he can dim them.

Anti-Collision Light:
    -one red light in the fin leading edge
    This light flashes if Fuselage Lights are bright and flashing.

Then there is Landing Light, Taxi Light and possibly a light for aerial refuelling.

EOEdit.
    ATB
    DaveB
    Iirc, the J lights could be selected by position. Ie left if formating left, or right if formating right.
    Although I only ever worked on one of the J (UK) serials, most of my time working F4's was FGR2.

And the refuelling probe light was on right side of fwd fuselage, just about where pilot's knees would be.

Ttfn

Pete

(Phormer Phantom Phixer)

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Iirc, the J lights could be selected by position. Ie left if formating left, or right if formating right.
    Although I only ever worked on one of the J (UK) serials, most of my time working F4's was FGR2.

And the refuelling probe light was on right side of fwd fuselage, just about where pilot's knees would be.

Ttfn

Pete

(Phormer Phantom Phixer)
    Thanks for that Pete. Thing with the model is that there isn't a nav light on the port wing, only the formation light. There's no left/right control for the formation lights on the J lighting panel either (and the J Natops is included). I'm sure it'll come good eventually
    Atb
    DaveB

NC (et-al)..

Milviz have acknowledged the light problem and will incorporate a fix in the next update

Pete.. can you remember which switch selects either right or left formation lights? Does this mean you can have the formation lights off too (on the J that is)?
    ATB
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; April 9th, 2016 at 15:30. Reason: additional comment

NC (et-al)..

Milviz have acknowledged the light problem and will incorporate a fix in the next update

Pete.. can you remember which switch selects either right or left formation lights? Does this mean you can have the formation lights off too (on the J that is)?
    ATB
    DaveB
    Here you go if this works all is explained

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...bJDYQQ6AEIHzAA

I'll do a bit more digging when I get home from work, as the slime lights were added by mod,which if memory serves me right also added the left/ right switchable option.

Ttfn

Pete

Dave,

I am not at my computer presently, but I believe the switch just says "Wing tip" and doesn't allow for selection of individual sides. Could be wrong tho. Thanks for reply, Pete. Am unable to see the page you linked to, unfortunately. NC

Hiya NC

I picked this up earlier but on the mobile so didn't reply. Agree on the switches. You get BRT, DIM or OFF.. no other option. I couldn't read Pete's link on the mobile.. it said I'd viewed it too many times

I've looked at a few screenies of the interim J model (the one that came as a freebie with the E) and it has a working port position light so I guess a 'fix' somewhere along the line to the full J busted it. They'll get it sorted I'm not really fussed about being able to select right or left formation lights.. I'd sooner not see them but it would be a 'nice to have' option.
    ATB
    DaveB

I am having this problem AGAIN. I turn all the exterior lights on, go to outside view, and the only visible light is the landing light. When I hit the "L" key, the lights momentarily flicker, but do not stay on. If I hold the "L" key, sometimes fire momentarily comes from exhaust area.

Any help here at all? Thanks, NC

I am having this problem AGAIN. I turn all the exterior lights on, go to outside view, and the only visible light is the landing light. When I hit the "L" key, the lights momentarily flicker, but do not stay on. If I hold the "L" key, sometimes fire momentarily comes from exhaust area.

Any help here at all? Thanks, NC
    Post the [lights] section of the aircraft.cfg. Developers love to hide random flames for A/B in there.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Post the [lights] section of the aircraft.cfg. Developers love to hide random flames for A/B in there.

[lights]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    //light.0 = 1, 0.0, 0.0, 0, fx_Milviz_Estart_2,
    light.0 = 10, -11, -3, -3, fx_engsmoke2,
    light.1 = 10, 6, -3, -2, fx_engsmoke,
    light.2 = 1, -11, 3, -3, fx_engsmoke2,
    light.3 = 1, 6, 3, -2, fx_engsmoke,
    light.4 = 4, -8.11, 0.0, 0.0, fx_ForestFireMedium
    light.5 = 4, -2.11, 0.0, 0.0, fx_ForestFireMedium

[lights]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    //light.0 = 1, 0.0, 0.0, 0, fx_Milviz_Estart_2,
    light.0 = 10, -11, -3, -3, fx_engsmoke2,
    light.1 = 10, 6, -3, -2, fx_engsmoke,
    light.2 = 1, -11, 3, -3, fx_engsmoke2,
    light.3 = 1, 6, 3, -2, fx_engsmoke,
    light.4 = 4, -8.11, 0.0, 0.0, fx_ForestFireMedium
    light.5 = 4, -2.11, 0.0, 0.0, fx_ForestFireMedium
    Engine smoke for lights? ForestFire lights? I wonder if they are putting the actual lights into the model and using the [lights] section for engine smoke and forest fires???? I'd hate to think what happens if you hit the I key?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Members who have read this thread: 1