Kawanishi H8K Emily
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kawanishi H8K Emily

Kawanishi H8K Emily

Hi Folks,
    Just about finishing a re-vamp of an old FS2000 Emily. A great basic model back from 2002 by Aidan McCaffrey (thank you!), but no cockpit, VC etc. So added those, new crew, made multi-LOD, new texs and tweaks.

Also Stuart kindly did me/us a seaplane tender, the Akitsushima for CFS2. A new lick of paint and made it into some Fs9 scenery to go with the Emily. Just bits and pieces to go.

Cheers

Shessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails H8K and Akitsushima 1.jpg  

Excellent revamp Shessi, especially since that was FS2000 era. Those big Japanese flying boats were lumbering and slow, but had some impressive range from what I have read. Japanese pilots got into trouble if they strayed too far over the oceans in those big giants... they were sitting ducks for allied pilots in Hellcats and Wildcats on patrol...

Keep up the good work, and the interest in FS9, mate....

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Blog Entries

Fantastic work as usual Shessi!

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Hi Folks,
    Just about finishing a re-vamp of an old FS2000 Emily. A great basic model back from 2002 by Aidan McCaffrey (thank you!), but no cockpit, VC etc. So added those, new crew, made multi-LOD, new texs and tweaks.

Also Stuart kindly did me/us a seaplane tender, the Akitsushima for CFS2. A new lick of paint and made it into some Fs9 scenery to go with the Emily. Just bits and pieces to go.

Cheers

Shessi
    The attention to detail and execution are great! I am still hoping for a He 115!!!
    Cheers,
    G.

G,
    Two things, yes the He115 is still there being worked on, now and then, and will arrive...sometime....

And no doubt you'll turn your art skills to a new Emily 2d panel, it needs your touch (I wish you'd get yer finger out and learn how to produce finished panels!..)

Cheers

Shessi

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to this one, it had a lot of respect from US pilots due to its armament and speed. I read somewhere two of these things made a little visit to Pearl Harbor one evening in the spring of 1942, they were supposed to have refueled from a submarine at French Frigate Shoals NW of HI and flown down for a damage assessment for the Pearl Harbor attack the previous December.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Looking forward to this one, it had a lot of respect from US pilots due to its armament and speed.
    Yes, beware of that tail gun.

Shessi --

Check your email, mate.

BB686

Very nice Emily, Shessi! Thanks again for thinking of us Niners, and for keeping these great flying boats alive!

Alan

GO BRONCOS!

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    This thing was a flying porcupine similar to the Short Sunderland, although larger, faster, and handier. I read somewhere its defensive weapons were CANNON, not machine guns. One sees a lot of the Shin-Mei-Wa in this bird, in particular in the hull profile. Speaking of which - there's a subject for an updated FS9 model.

Folks,
    Please don't forget, the original model was made by Aidan McCaffrey, and I agree he made a cracking job of the external mdl, also the Emily is one good looking bird. I've just dragged it into the 21st with a VC, external cockpit and crew etc. Funny though, in his original readme back in 2002(!), he states that he intends to make a VC for it....obvious the 'force' didn't stay with him..which is a shame really, as he was a good modeller.

Alan, I only 'do' for Fs9 and CFS2, obviously some/most of the stuff can be used just as well in FSX, but as the two sims are quite compatible it makes life easier.

Cheers

Shessi

Blog Entries

I am working on a new 2D panel right now...

Folks,
    Please don't forget, the original model was made by Aidan McCaffrey, and I agree he made a cracking job of the external mdl, also the Emily is one good looking bird. I've just dragged it into the 21st with a VC, external cockpit and crew etc. Funny though, in his original readme back in 2002(!), he states that he intends to make a VC for it....obvious the 'force' didn't stay with him..which is a shame really, as he was a good modeller.

Alan, I only 'do' for Fs9 and CFS2, obviously some/most of the stuff can be used just as well in FSX, but as the two sims are quite compatible it makes life easier.

Cheers

Shessi
    HI Shessi,

I got a very nice detailed panel on the works... should be ready very soon...
    G.

Members +
    There is some great CS2 stuff out there. How difficult is it to mod them for FS9?
    Is it just a case of making sure all the gauges are there & modding the config file?
    Or some darker magic involved?

One sees a lot of the Shin-Mei-Wa in this bird, in particular in the hull profile. Speaking of which - there's a subject for an updated FS9 model.
    Granted the Shin Meiwa PS-1 by Tomohito Unayama is more dated than Aidan McCaffrey's Emily, but I'd still like to see this flyable in FS9 with (at least) visible props. I'm surprised it hasn't already been updated by somebody in Japan. Also Unayama's turboprop P-2J.

This thing was a flying porcupine similar to the Short Sunderland, although larger, faster, and handier. I read somewhere its defensive weapons were CANNON, not machine guns. One sees a lot of the Shin-Mei-Wa in this bird, in particular in the hull profile. Speaking of which - there's a subject for an updated FS9 model.
    Amen to the Shin Meiwa. Would love to see the amphibian Shin Meiwa's! in FS9

Dave

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    There is some great CS2 stuff out there. How difficult is it to mod them for FS9?
    Is it just a case of making sure all the gauges are there & modding the config file?
    Or some darker magic involved?
    Anyone?

Zswobbie,
    As you described. Going from CFS2 to Fs2004 is easy, most will work straight off with the CFS2 airfile/aircraft.cfg files, the only tweak is to add the manufacturer id details to the aircraft.cfg file, otherwise it will only show up in your Unspecified list of ac. The basic animations will work ok. The gauges will work straight off, as they're old gau files, if you want better quality/action then re-populate the panel with xml gauges

Give it a go!

Cheers

Shessi

Members +
    Thanks for that. I thought so, I just was a bit concerned how easy it was..

I'm off to the CS2 libraries now....

Blog Entries

New 2D panel for the upcoming rework of the Kawanishi Emily

G,
    Two things, yes the He115 is still there being worked on, now and then, and will arrive...sometime....

And no doubt you'll turn your art skills to a new Emily 2d panel, it needs your touch (I wish you'd get yer finger out and learn how to produce finished panels!..)

Cheers

Shessi
    Shessi: I answered your PM... here is the result for now...

Something to accompany your new upcoming redo ... available as usual... Comments and/or suggestions welcome..
    yoke on separate texture for a pop-up...

G.

Great work there G!

Cheers

Shessi

Blog Entries

You might want to rethink colors....

Great work there G!

Cheers

Shessi
    I am answering your PM here so I can attach a photo...
    [as you can see in this photo... the panels are nowhere near black... you are right, the yoke and wheels are indeed different... (jut noticed it as they are turned to one side)
    granted that there were probably different versions around in real life... as usual... no real "official" colors... I have an artist's (Japanese)
    version wherein colors are different too... The pics you sent me are mostly "colorless"... lol
    I'll send the artist rendition later today...

Cheers,
    Carlos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kawanishi Emily panel photo.jpg  

Blog Entries

Here's a corrected version....

Instead of the artist version... I decided to follow through with your suggestions...
    here is the corrected version...

If it is OK.. I'll send you the bmps...

Cheers,
    G.

Really good there G

Looks spot on to me, thank you.

Yes, fire them over, layered etc, and I'll put some gauges in, and we should be at upload.

Cheers

Shessi

Blog Entries

I don't know if you got my last PM...

Really good there G

Looks spot on to me, thank you.

Yes, fire them over, layered etc, and I'll put some gauges in, and we should be at upload.

Cheers

Shessi
    Rather stupid of me... I deleted your email after I opened the files you sent and with it your address...
    write me a short note just to be able to answer your note and enclose the textures...
    G.

This project is well on it's way to becoming a real stunner. The "Emily" is definitely a rare bird... don't think anyone has done one for FS9, and this one will fit into my sea faring flight plans nicely. Keep up the good work and thanks for "Keepin' em' Flying".

BB686

Members who have read this thread: 0