Thieves roaming my neighborhood..... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thieves roaming my neighborhood.....

My friend keep his house windows open, screen doors unlocked, truck and cars unlocked, etc...as his pack of Pit Bulls inside of his double fence line takes care any security issues. No one has bothered to mess with that piece of property in the 40 plus years since he bought the property and dogs. For me, my crazy ass 10 pound Chihuahua provides a similar, albeit a far less effective deterrent in our townhouse unit. Actually, all you need is a dog treat to get past her.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Admit it - you were thinking about this old joke but didn't think to post it...

A man was going up to bed when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turn off the light but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked "Is someone in your house?" and he said no. Then they said that all patrols were busy, and that he should simply lock his door and an officer would be along when available.

George said "Okay," hung up, counted to 30, and phoned the police again. "Hello. I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people in my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now cause I've just shot them all." Then he hung up.

Within five minutes three police cars, an Armed Response unit, and an ambulance showed up at the Phillips residence. Of course, the police caught the burglars red-handed. One of the policemen said to George: "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"

George said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

There are other dangers:
    Here in Maine if you leave your car unlocked during August you will find it full of zucchini.

Mainers don't like to just throw food out...

NC, what neighborhood are you in? Never had any issues in Pcola during my years there and I lived in several different areas both next to and far from NAS. Recently had to look up the Castle Law here in TX, seems someone wanted to get into my truck while I was on business in Dallas (hotel by DFW). Didn't take anything, but a busted door lock that also led to a repaint on a 2014, that is the part that pissed me off.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    NC, what neighborhood are you in? Never had any issues in Pcola during my years there and I lived in several different areas both next to and far from NAS. Recently had to look up the Castle Law here in TX, seems someone wanted to get into my truck while I was on business in Dallas (hotel by DFW). Didn't take anything, but a busted door lock that also led to a repaint on a 2014, that is the part that pissed me off.
    We live almost exactly 10 miles from downtown P'cola. I too, had lived in Pensacola before (while stationed here in 1991-93). But I lived on base then, in the CPO barracks.

We chose this area to live in so we wouldn't have to worry about water surge from a hurricane; plus the crime level here is lower when compared to areas south of us, closer to town. There is rarely any crime in my area, except for punks looking for unlocked cars to rob.

Pensacola, (I learned from a class I took at the Sheriff's Dept) has around 18 active gangs. Again, most are located closer to town.

All in all, we feel safe here. I will never feel as secure as I did when living out in the country of southeast TN, but it had its drawbacks, like being a long way from conveniences. NC

Life is pretty boring where we are.
    No 'action' at all.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Someone's Junk ....

In the USA, the Sherieff KNOWS everybody's business in his 'territory' (usually rural) (as opposed to City Police) and they know who is doing what to whom but they won't arrest them. Why? Because the 'punks' are related to brother-in-law, ex-wife, ex-girlfriend, landlord, or he went to school with their relatives. Simple as that. They could probably tell you who they sold the stolen property to, and for how much (insert 'shake of head and wry smile here). They relationalize that it's 'only property' so it's no bigee - the victims should lock up their stuff, etc (ie: you asked for 'it). That attitude is prevalent country wide as far as I can tell (from past experience). A motion senseing light is probably the cheapest 'insurance' you can get. Shooting with salt in shotgun shells is overkill (pardon the pun) and CAN get legally messy.
    Chuck B
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0