CFS3 Based WW2 Tank Mod

Thread: CFS3 Based WW2 Tank Mod

CFS3 Based WW2 Tank Mod

How difficult would it be to already use cfs3 tanks in the game and then make new playable ones for missions and even grand campaigns? You could even make playable vehicles for different countries add troops etc. I tried the tanks in eto they are pretty basic but pretty cool.

Imagine blasting away at each other, trying to take a town with troops and tanks. The hard part would be making it historical such as shell penetration values, armor, speed, turret speed etc.

There are numerous vehicles included with the Med Air War and Enhanced-ETO downloads. For the latter, I certainly tried to create a couple of scenarios for France 1940 which featured driveable armoured vehicles. Several modders have done their best to overcome the game mechanics and make these work, but ultimately CFS3 is a flight-sim game and it's hard to make it work as a ground-combat simulator.

Don't let this discourage you. By all means, you should feel free to jump in and try your hand. You'll find numerous threads on this subject in the forums and plenty of existing models of tanks and armoured cars which might form the basis of some interesting experiments.

There are also some troops in existence and some horse-drawn wagons too. Again, with ETO. Here's an ancient video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjlNnK5JCgE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit my website, http://www3.telus.net/murrdaka/, for the latest news on the CFS3 Attack in the West '40 Campaign for CFS3 (formerly known as the Battle of France) and gmax tutorials for both Aircraft and Vehicles

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by starbage1 View Post
    How difficult would it be to already use cfs3 tanks in the game and then make new playable ones for missions and even grand campaigns? You could even make playable vehicles for different countries add troops etc. I tried the tanks in eto they are pretty basic but pretty cool.

Imagine blasting away at each other, trying to take a town with troops and tanks. The hard part would be making it historical such as shell penetration values, armor, speed, turret speed etc.
    As viso says, there are some Era 1 misisons featuring French tanks in ETO. I find them a hell of a lot of fun (although I must admit I sometimes stick in a bigger gun in the vehicle xdp file so as to be able to take out Panzers). Technically, for driveable vehicles its an aircraft xdp file and CFS3 treats driveable tanks as though they are taxiing aircraft. Hence hopefully the maker of the driveable vehicle modifies the contact points to make the landing gear more robust, and reduces propellor and wing sizes in the cfg file so you don't blow up when passing 6m away from a tree!

Looking at the mission xml files will give you ideas to modify the mission files for other eras, using newer armoured vehicles (ie bigger guns ).

To make "grand campaigns" you would need to set the frontline over mainland Europe - possibly there is an Era 5 campaign xml with the frontline in the right place already. Then bring on the battle of the bulge! unfortunately all AI wingmen tend to crash when starting a campaign mission, because they try to fly........ so it would be a lot of work to get a functioning tank based campaign.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    There are a several "Tank" missions, I have some built, and there are many others.
    I am working on MAW Eastern front part III, which i will have the battle of Kurst and from both air and ground.
    Awaiting the new Soviet Scenery being developed now for this.
    Instead of using MAW for this.
    Several masters have sorted out using and (developing) vehicles, and it does take some practice.

The same could be done with playable ships too.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    The same could be done with playable ships too.
    Bearing in mind all the airbases in the GL would have to be seaplane bases (if we are talking campaigns here)

Sure you can drive tanks and boats around CFS3, and it can be fun, but why not try something like world of tanks? It's better at that than CFS3 will ever be.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    I personally, don't care for driving Tanks in CFS3, it takes a lot of practice..
    And to be Honest, CFS3 is a MUCH better flight sim then a Tank sim.

I have some experience from building missions w/armor..

I would rather attack a WW2 tank with a P-47, then another tank anyway. I likes "Jugs"

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post
    I personally, don't care for driving Tanks in CFS3, it takes a lot of practice..
    And to be Honest, CFS3 is a MUCH better flight sim then a Tank sim.

I have some experience from building missions w/armor..

I would rather attack a WW2 tank with a P-47, then another tank anyway. I likes "Jugs"
    For me, a well set up driveable vehicle is a lot of fun to explore the CFS3 environment. I get insights into the building textures, etc as well as trying to blow up enemy vehicles. I once drove Pat Pattle's new airfield vehicle (was it the Albion tanker?) about 10km north to another bomber airbase - that airbase was a real eye-opener, big and full of interesting buildings and static bombers.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    David,
    I agree, driving them around and checking out the scenery is Great fun.
    And i do enjoy checking out the scenery this way.

But being a real "Tanker" in the US Army, nothing comes close to doing that.

And shooting things is fun with Our Drive-able vehicles, but for me I rather blast armor with Jugs in CFS3.
    Just love a pretty Jug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RingMaster 001.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Sure you can drive tanks and boats around CFS3, and it can be fun, but why not try something like world of tanks? It's better at that than CFS3 will ever be.
    gecko ive been playing Wot since alpha release you can always look for me there call sign tauch clan b.o.s I even tried to get hobbit into it
    boys of 60 unofficall mad modder" and dyslexic extraordinaire MY OFF FLIGHT GROUP http://www.freewebs.com/dovesandhawks/:typing:

WOT is highly non historical and unrealistic. combat mission for me.

ETO? How do I install it? Download Links? HERE Horizontal lines at menu after installing ETO? - FIX - choose a wingman, plane, then try quick mission.I found this config setup ArgonV posted at simhq, works good HERE Graphics card updates change your game settings? With error? Ankor's Shader fixes it HERE Nvidia HERE

Members who have read this thread: 0