loving my rig and Fsx but ooms suck

Thread: loving my rig and Fsx but ooms suck

loving my rig and Fsx but ooms suck

The dreaded cold introduced itself to me yesterday so stayed in not to infect others. The good news is I had time to give fsx some love and download my A2A Cessna . This was my first time I really got to experience this rig complimenting my add on's. It was simply amazing with Orbx scenery, Rex Essentials +, accusim and the A2A Cessna. Bmps, thumps, creeks, tire screech and all the eye candy with a smooth flight. The way it should be. Of course I had my system maxed out and ran into the reality of the OOM after a long flight and of course had just landed when the OOM struck. Any how still loved the whole experience. Will turn down my setting and I also downloaded Process Explorer to give me a visual of what's going on.

Question- Steve's DX10 fixer will not fix this but give me a little more head room...is this correct?

Have a great day all

Jim

Jim,

Because Dx10 passes more of the graphics work to the video card it frees up the processor somewhat. I have used Steve's Fixer since it first came out and previously his early freeware work. This is said to reduce ooms. I have only ever had one oom which occured using a commercial 747 out of ORBX Monterey. This model was said by many to be a memory hog.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

This is a VAS(Virtual Address Space) consumption issue. I assume you are on a 64bit OS? On a 32bit OS you only get a portion of the VAS limit for FSX(which is a 32bit program) but with a 64bit OS, you get the full 4gb VAS limit. I would dig up as much info as you can via Google to help mitigate the issue (including Kosta's page on the issue here: https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/...don-vas-usage/). In general, any high end addon with large hi-definition textures & coupled with high end or photo real scenery will consume VAS to the point where you get OOM's. Using the FSX scenery configurator program to organize and deactivate scenery not used in the flight is one way to help deal with VAS/OOM issues but also, avoiding hi-def textures on an aircraft model when flying between two hi-def scenery airports and/or photo-real terrain. At one point, I was able to fly my 737NGX and Aerosoft A320/319 on long trips with minor roll-backs in the scenery & autogen sliders but after my recent migration to twin SSD's, the VAS use went up sharply after my re-install of FSX. After much battling & checking, I re-tweaked my FSX config close to my last known stable settings and made other minor changes and now, I am able to make long flights without an OOM if I am still careful to use the scenery configurator to deactivate unused scenery.

If we ever get a new sim that elevates things to 64bit (ascended from FSX/P3D), it will remove this limitation and open a lot of new doors but as a consequence, just about everything regarding our old addons will be obsolete and unusable (not even capable of being ported-over).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Jim,

Because Dx10 passes more of the graphics work to the video card it frees up the processor somewhat. I have used Steve's Fixer since it first came out and previously his early freeware work. This is said to reduce ooms. I have only ever had one oom which occured using a commercial 747 out of ORBX Monterey. This model was said by many to be a memory hog.
    Very tempted to give this a try but going to enjoy some flight time on this sick day. Thank you Roger for the quick and simple explanation.

Jim
    Jetline system
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel(R) Core (TM)i7-4790k cpu 4.00GHz
    8.00 GB 64-bit Operating System
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

I knew I was messing with the VAS limit. I just need to town down my settings a bit and also save the flight when getting close to my destination. I will check out the scenery configurator to deactivate unused scenery. I am running 64 bit.

Thanks Storm

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    This is a VAS(Virtual Address Space) consumption issue. I assume you are on a 64bit OS? On a 32bit OS you only get a portion of the VAS limit for FSX(which is a 32bit program) but with a 64bit OS, you get the full 4gb VAS limit. I would dig up as much info as you can via Google to help mitigate the issue (including Kosta's page on the issue here: https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/...don-vas-usage/). In general, any high end addon with large hi-definition textures & coupled with high end or photo real scenery will consume VAS to the point where you get OOM's. Using the FSX scenery configurator program to organize and deactivate scenery not used in the flight is one way to help deal with VAS/OOM issues but also, avoiding hi-def textures on an aircraft model when flying between two hi-def scenery airports and/or photo-real terrain. At one point, I was able to fly my 737NGX and Aerosoft A320/319 on long trips with minor roll-backs in the scenery & autogen sliders but after my recent migration to twin SSD's, the VAS use went up sharply after my re-install of FSX. After much battling & checking, I re-tweaked my FSX config close to my last known stable settings and made other minor changes and now, I am able to make long flights without an OOM if I am still careful to use the scenery configurator to deactivate unused scenery.

If we ever get a new sim that elevates things to 64bit (ascended from FSX/P3D), it will remove this limitation and open a lot of new doors but as a consequence, just about everything regarding our old addons will be obsolete and unusable (not even capable of being ported-over).
    Jetline system
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel(R) Core (TM)i7-4790k cpu 4.00GHz
    8.00 GB 64-bit Operating System
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

What do we mean by the scenery configurator? Do you mean the list of activated scenery in the scenery library in the FSX UI? Do you actually need to uncheck all the scenery not near where you want to fly now? That seems a bit tedious. Or is it something else? I have a very hi end rig and card (but also SSD's) but get OOM's after flying a while and with AI, hi res paints and over big cities. Would like to know what you do exactly.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

This is the one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-DMMMse3UA

The link to the program is in the description. With some exceptions, I have all my scenery organized to where I can shut off or on what I need to with a single click.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by limjack View Post
    The dreaded cold introduced itself to me yesterday so stayed in not to infect others. The good news is I had time to give fsx some love and download my A2A Cessna . This was my first time I really got to experience this rig complimenting my add on's. It was simply amazing with Orbx scenery, Rex Essentials +, accusim and the A2A Cessna. Bmps, thumps, creeks, tire screech and all the eye candy with a smooth flight. The way it should be. Of course I had my system maxed out and ran into the reality of the OOM after a long flight and of course had just landed when the OOM struck. Any how still loved the whole experience. Will turn down my setting and I also downloaded Process Explorer to give me a visual of what's going on.

Question- Steve's DX10 fixer will not fix this but give me a little more head room...is this correct?

Have a great day all

Jim
    Jim,
    Make sure you have the latest FSUIPC installed:http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html
    Oct 4 release

Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

OOM's tend to pop up most near the conclusion of a long flight. Flights over 1 hour duration are most susceptible. I recently experienced an OOM at the end of the downwind leg of an approach concluding a 3 hour flight. Silly me, thought I could get away with it, but as I turned onto the downwind my hard drive started accessing like mad and the video started to stutter and pause, then boom! Gone. This is because of the way FSX manages the VAS, and it does so rather poorly. The Steam Edition of FSX addresses some of the VAS management problems, but there are a number of older add-ons that do not play well with Steam FSX and sometimes an update to the Steam version of FSX breaks add-ons.

The alternative measures that you can take for the MS version are to deactivate add-on scenery that are not involved in your departure and landing, lower graphics settings, especially autogen, and you can save your flight before reaching your destination, exit FSX, which will free the VAS, then restart FSX and select the saved flight in order to finish the flight.

The perfect solution would be a 64 bit version of FSX, but so far that appears to be nothing but a dream. P3D may introduce a 64 bit version, but there are a lot of problems in getting FS9 add-ons to work in P3D.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members who have read this thread: 0