Volkswagen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen

Volkswagen

Does anyone else here own a VW diesel that will included in the recall?
    I just bought a 2015 VW TDI Sportwagen 3 weeks ago.
    This doesn't look good for VW. Reported today that the recall may now reach 11 million cars around the world.

They may pack up their toys and go home without paying the outrageous penalty. I sure would not blame them.

The penalty was made outrageous to keep manufacturers from doing something so stupid and dishonest. Won't do them any good if they pack up and go home... there will be plenty of prosecutions, fines, and penalties throughout the world. Starting with their own turf in Germany. My only question is will the Feds prosecute Winterkorn? These sleazy CEO's just seem to be able to do whatever they want. Tired of it all!

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Cutting corners to gain revenue will come back to bite every time, whether it's VW, Takata (air bags), or GM. In the end, it's always the consumer left holding the bag, while Corporate justifies their actions with weak apologies and doubletalk.

50 million cars out there subject to one Recall or another... most of them on the road, and all built like crap.

Alan

I hate to go there but I'm going there.

When this is all said and done VW's fines cheating on test are going to be more than GM's cover up of the ignition flaw that KILLED people.

What the is wrong with this country?!?!
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    When this is all said and done VW's fines cheating on test are going to be more than GM's cover up of the ignition flaw that KILLED people.
    Ahh, but VW isn't an American Blue Chip with strong union ties, and a company the current administration naturally wishes to see succeed (based upon that very sweet U.S. structured 2009 bankruptcy).

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

So far I have never had a car which was capable to meet the fuel consumption which was mentioned in advertising. I have driven several brands, does this mean they were all lying? And should they all pay a penalty?
    Or are car manufacturers allowed to be dishonest about consumption figures, but not about environmental related figures?

BTW I am driving my first Volkswagen, best car I have ever owned so far

And to be honest, I bought it as I thought it was a nice and reliable car and not because I though driving a car was good fro the environment *big wink*

Cheers,
    Huub

PS On my country in general, a car salesman isn't really regarded the most reliable person.

Quote Originally Posted by lownslo View Post
    Ahh, but VW isn't an American Blue Chip with strong union ties, and a company the current administration naturally wishes to see succeed (based upon that very sweet U.S. structured 2009 bankruptcy).

Greg
    Lets not forget that the engine for the bailout was started by the past administration.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    So far I have never had a car which was capable to meet the fuel consumption which was mentioned in advertising. I have driven several brands, does this mean they were all lying? And should they all pay a penalty?
    Or are car manufacturers allowed to be dishonest about consumption figures, but not about environmental related figures?

BTW I am driving my first Volkswagen, best car I have ever owned so far

And to be honest, I bought it as I thought it was a nice and reliable car and not because I though driving a car was good fro the environment *big wink*

Cheers,
    Huub
    In the US they aren't supposed to lie but the EPA testing is so poor that it seems no on gets what MPG that is listed. They put a car on a treadmill and test it. I don't know but I'm going to guess that they use 100% gasoline that will give a better MPG. The 90% gasoline / 10% ethanol blend will cut MPG down by 4% if not more.

This is about the eighth new car I have owned and like it was mentioned here, they never get the mileage indicated on the window sticker.
    This VW diesel is no way close to what it "should" get.
    The window sticker says "35 city---43 hwy".
    I do a 9 mile trip each morning ,city driving only, it gets 38 mpg.
    I have done 5 highway trips of between 30 and 175 miles, it gets between 52 and 57.5 mpg.
    And it doesn't even have 1000 miles on it. The break in period is around 10,000 miles, and they usually get better mileage after the break-in period.

This is what the majority of complaints are at the VW TDI forums.... in order to now meet the EPA standards, if it can be done, the power, mileage and reliability will more likely be cut way down from what it is now.
    I just paid close to $25,000 for this car 3 weeks ago, and now it looks like I will be told that the power it has will be reduced, the reliability will be reduced and the mileage will likely go down by 25-30%.
    That is not the agreement I had when I bought this car.
    There is some talk that if VW has to reduce all these figures in order to meet the EPA standards, then they may be forced to buy all these cars back. On top of that, they could be fined up to $37,500 for each Diesel car sold in the U.S. going back to 2009. That alone would run close to 18 billion dollars.
    It is going to take many years for VW to recover from this.

Hey All,

No No Not Herbie the Luv Bug!!! Say it isn't so...

Hey I drive a wrangler jeep. I burn a quart of oil every 1500 miles like many Mexico built engines. I get crappy fuel economy 17 to maybe 22 mpg. But it's a jeep and it suits me - I'll live with it. This after 11 years with the best built vehicle I've ever driven next to an 84 Honda Accord. That was an Xterra never burned a drop of oil and was super stout. Fuel economy was about the same as my jeep.

I certainly feel for those who drive Vdubs - it ain't right. Wonder how widespread this is.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    This is about the eighth new car I have owned and like it was mentioned here, they never get the mileage indicated on the window sticker.
    This VW diesel is no way close to what it "should" get.
    The window sticker says "35 city---43 hwy".
    I do a 9 mile trip each morning ,city driving only, it gets 38 mpg.
    I have done 5 highway trips of between 30 and 175 miles, it gets between 52 and 57.5 mpg.
    And it doesn't even have 1000 miles on it. The break in period is around 10,000 miles, and they usually get better mileage after the break-in period.

This is what the majority of complaints are at the VW TDI forums.... in order to now meet the EPA standards, if it can be done, the power, mileage and reliability will more likely be cut way down from what it is now.
    I just paid close to $25,000 for this car 3 weeks ago, and now it looks like I will be told that the power it has will be reduced, the reliability will be reduced and the mileage will likely go down by 25-30%.
    There is some talk that if VW has to reduce all these figures in order to meet the EPA standards, then they may be forced to buy all these cars back. On top of that, they could be fined up to $37,500 for each Diesel car sold in the U.S. going back to 2009. That alone would run close to 18 billion dollars.
    It is going to take many years for VW to recover from this.
    I hope they are hammered hard but we know if GM can kill people and get slapped on the hand so the only hammer VW will get hit with is this one.

Attachment 29336

and find people like you self will be left with junk car and maybe after the class action lawsuit is done a free oil change coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    ...and find people like you self will be left with junk car and maybe after the class action lawsuit is done a free oil change coupon.
    +This! Sorry Rudyjo, but you're just part of the middle class of consumers... we exist so the rich can get richer.

Greg

Edit: The first lawsuit has been filed in the U.S. Hopefully more to come... we all know no government will do the right thing.

Blog Entries
    Let the bailouts begin.

VW stock took a 20% hit on the news and with the prospect of the massive cost of the recall, fines, legal costs, loss of faith and the state of the Euro, VW may be on the ropes.

Bailouts may stave the inevitable, but what is more important here is the fact that VW was operating a fraud over a period of years by utilizing an algorithm to intentionally cheat the technology put in place to ensure emissions standards.

The recent conviction and 28 year sentencing of Peanut Butter Corporation of Americas former CEO, Stewart Parnell, shows that corporate officers are not immune from felony prosecution. Let's hope this trend continues...its a long waiting list. Anyone remember Bayer/Factor 8...where are those guys now?

For years auto makers have evaded harsh consequences when knowingly producing faulty or dangerous products. The Pinto gas tank was a known design flaw but Ford had run the actuarial tables and realized that paying legal settlements for a few dead customers was cheaper than fixing the flaw.

The recent video of the "Self Parking" Volvo running over the reporters sent to cover it's debut illustrates how technology can be flawed, even if it was not intentionally designed to lie although the car was allegedly later overheard saying " I frickin' hate dudes in pink".

https://youtu.be/_8nnhUCtcO8

If this car goes to production, liability for passenger and pedestrian safety is directly attributable to the designers and corporate officers of that company.

When criminals in the corporate world start looking at hard time rather than fines less than their yearly bonus, they may look more closely at their own personal consequences rather than annual reports.

Of course a more likely scenario may go something like this.

VW gets a massive infusion of quantitative caiptal courtesy of the EU "community", VW workers are replaced with "affordable labor" while watching their pensions go down the austerity rathole, certain corporate executives resign after skimming off most of the bail out money in the form of gozillion dollar bonuses and disappear quietly to a private Greek island that they recently picked up on the cheap, suffer a conveniently timed Myocardial Infarction...and live happily ever after.

IMHO...let the beatings begin.

Side note...the HD gets 50 MPG, the wife's Honda Element 30+
    I haven't driven my Silverado in almost two years.
    Last edited by gman5250; September 22nd, 2015 at 19:45.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Been trying to get my 1985 Volkswagen Golf GTI repaired since late May. I've always given it premium gas at the pump. Current mechanic says parts are on order.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    I dont have any issue's with my 67 VW Bug nor my newer one unless I accidentally drive into CA lol which never happens. It breaks down call the VW graveyard in Tampa, cheap parts. Other then that my Canadian Built Bombardier Spyder F3 gets 45 mpg.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

I stand to be corrected but I gather this started in California, if so, is the EPA still State or has it become Federal?
    California had the most draconian EPA regulations (IIRC) around 1980 or so, friends of mine were involved in developing metal coatings to meet proposed Victorian EPA legislation which was combined with the Californian regulations.
    Almost impossible!.

Back to VW, if this issue develops in a full on inquiry, it will probably include Audi, Skoda and SEAT, as the smaller Audi's (S3) are a VW Golf in a party frock, while Skoda and SEAT built on assorted VW platforms.
    The latest reliable figures are not good, VW shares are down 30% and do not appear to be moving anywhere but further down.
    And I owned a Golf TDI a few years ago, one the best small hot hatches I've driven.

As for the fuel consumption figures mentioned here (why?), if you are capable of driving a vehicle correctly a manufacturer's claims are easily met.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

arroding to the local news..the CEO has stepped down.

Blog Entries
    1 in 7 from Germany are affected by this industry and a $20 BILLION loss will sure hurt the people, they need to jail and strip them of all their money, all who knew of this crime. To save faith.
    It wasn't a small amount but 40 times bigger then allotted amount of pollution these cars emitted.
    Look What I Have Become!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    This is a software issue. You'll probably get a notice to go to the dealer for a new rom chip, or a re-programming. If you don't take the car in, it won't get fixed, and then you'll still get the great MPG... The 'fix' may actually cause more net pollution than leaving it alone. Less MPG means more trips to the pump, burning more fuel, which causes more net pollution.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by rhumbaflappy View Post
    This is a software issue. You'll probably get a notice to go to the dealer for a new rom chip, or a re-programming. If you don't take the car in, it won't get fixed, and then you'll still get the great MPG... The 'fix' may actually cause more net pollution than leaving it alone. Less MPG means more trips to the pump, burning more fuel, which causes more net pollution.

Dick
    That is what I was think rhumbaflappy but thats the EPA and CARB for ya.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumbaflappy View Post

Dick
    At first this looks like the case, but then I read this article.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...issions-tests/

The fact that the software anticipates certain tests raises the question of what happens after the cheater software is neutered. The variance in performance and emissions is dramatic when the cheater is disabled.

How will the engine(s) respond when actually being required to meet the various requirements without the cheater. I'd wager that they are not going to be able to pull it off without major mechanical mods like replacing EFI injectors or solenoids which can translate into big problems with exhaust/cat converters.

Bear in mind that these engines were very likely designed entirely around the cheat. I see big problems.

I wonder how the newly chipped vehicles would read out on a real world dyno.

Interesting stuff to ponder...and watch as things develop.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Between VW, the recent Toyota scandal and GM trying to kill us all, who can we trust...... I'll get the bus .... who builds that?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Blog Entries
    I sure am glad I have a 3/4 ton dodge van 1978 model with zero pollution stuff on it from the factory with a 4 barrell carb. humm gets 12 MPG,

and I also have a dodge v6 Dakota 1999 full of sensors on it and all the other stuff and it gets 13 MPG

looks like newer isn't better
    Look What I Have Become!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    arroding to the local news..the CEO has stepped down.
    Well, there. that's better.
    I'm betting he gets off with a slap on the wrist, when actually, he should be stripped down to nothing and sent to jail for awhile.

There's not a lot of difference between your average corporate official, a politician, and a sociopath. None of them feel too bad about screwing up the rest of us.

Dick

Members who have read this thread: 0