Ye Olde Pub

Thread: Ye Olde Pub

Ye Olde Pub

Here's a few screens of "Ye Olde Pub" from one of my favorite WW2 books "A Higher Call". It's an excellent story if you haven't read it yet. Highly recommended! Of course the "Pub" looks much better in FSX than it did at the end of it's life. I have a little bit more to do then will upload. My thanks to Baz and Aeroplane Heaven for the great B-17F!

Mike

Excellent work, Mike! Are there any pictures of the original aircraft contained within the book, showing the nose art or markings (or anywhere else)? Although there has been a lot of exceptional paintings and decals made of the aircraft, it seems there are no photos to be found of the original aircraft, and I have heard from others who have found the same problem. The aircraft has become quite well known in recent years with the publishing of that book. After its final mission on December 20, 1943, from the raid over Bremen in which it was too heavily damaged to ever fly combat missions again (very understandable, if the painted-portrayals are faithful), according to the aircraft's records, it seems as though it was repaired-enough to fly back to the US - it is recorded to have arrived at Warton, UK on April 4, 1944, and arrived in the US mainland on April 16, 1944 - only eventually to be sold for scrap in August 1945.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

John: I have also read the book and recommend it. There are not any pictures of the plane after it made it back safe, but there is a very nice oil painting of what it looked like after it was shot at. It's hard to believe it was still flying. The ISBN # of the book is 978-0-425-25286-4 if your book store doesn't have it and has to order it.

WICKED MIKE .. supreme .. love it

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Excellent work, Mike! Are there any pictures of the original aircraft contained within the book, showing the nose art or markings (or anywhere else)? Although there has been a lot of exceptional paintings and decals made of the aircraft, it seems there are no photos to be found of the original aircraft, and I have heard from others who have found the same problem. The aircraft has become quite well known in recent years with the publishing of that book. After its final mission on December 20, 1943, from the raid over Bremen in which it was too heavily damaged to ever fly combat missions again (very understandable, if the painted-portrayals are faithful), according to the aircraft's records, it seems as though it was repaired-enough to fly back to the US - it is recorded to have arrived at Warton, UK on April 4, 1944, and arrived in the US mainland on April 16, 1944 - only eventually to be sold for scrap in August 1945.
    I have seen some details regard to the aircraft , I've been going thru my B-17 library , very Very sure it was a 'Roger A Freeman' author/title , I do know it was not colour information tho , which is a pity.

Thanks for the comments guys! I could find no photos of "Ye Olde Pub" either. The paint is based pretty much on John Shaw's wonderful paintings "A Higher Call" and "In the Presence of My Enemy". The data block is assumed based on other B-17s of the same model.

Mike

Mike , I have seriously been trawling thru the info here, least you got the 8-ball rolling , at least your reference gives and make it it a little easier to research.

Jan Kees Blom did a repaint of Ye Olde Pub for the A2A B-17.
    I would assume that you can still download it at Aussiex.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    Jan Kees Blom did a repaint of Ye Olde Pub for the A2A B-17.
    I would assume that you can still download it at Aussiex.
    You Bloody Cracker ... here I am searching and thinking were have I seen this , spent hours and hours (tho a lotta fun) JK - JanKees , time to step up to the mark

One of the best books ever written about the WWII airwar.

Quote Originally Posted by davido53 View Post
    One of the best books ever written about the WWII airwar.
    Must be another, I need to put this book on my shelf, have plenty about WWII Airwar, regards to the B-17 , I track onto the specific or better well known , .. Maybe 'Bomber_12th' may have word on that subject.

Members who have read this thread: 0