Sound for AI aircraft...

Thread: Sound for AI aircraft...

Icon2 Sound for AI aircraft...

...I thought I would pass along something that I've learned for anyone who doesn't already know this. Make a copy of the airplane's sound folder and rename it soundai. Then rename the sound config file in that folder soundai. Now when you use the aircraft as AI, it won't have that monotonous single sound. It will change sound with changes in throttle settings such as take off and landing, etc. So far, at least, this has worked with all the flyable airplanes that I have used for AI.

I have discovered, however, that not all flyable aircraft make decent AI aircraft.

RD

Always thought mapping AI to flyable a/c with variable sound would't work. Will give this a try.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Always thought mapping AI to flyable a/c with variable sound would't work. Will give this a try.
    I'm using the default DC-3 in one of my sceneries as AI. Works just fine. Be advised, however, not all flyable aircraft are suitable for AI. I've tried some that simply will not work properly. I've had some that just will not land. They just keep aborting the landing and going around until they time-out and disappear. Others want to land way short of the end of the runway. This is at an airport where other AI function properly.

My approach is just plain ole "trial and error" until I get something to work.

RD

"Soundai" is just user the aircraft sound file dumbed down a bit to have less performance impact when used by lots of AI aircraft.

I have a "Sounds" folder containing some lightweight soundsets from early FS9 and FS8 days for certain engine types as well as preconfigured "soundai" folders with aliased soundai.cfgs in them.
    All I need to do when installing a new AI airplane is pick a rough equivalent soundset for its engine type, pop in a copy of a suitable soundai folder and off I go.

Don't forget, if you want to hear the sounds in the 'SoundsAI' folder used by the AI aircraft, then make sure you have the following line set like this in the FSX.cfg file: -

SOUND_LOD=0

If set to = 1, you'll get the basic, and same AI sounds for all aircraft, as per FS9.

And also, make sure the AI internal (cockpit) .wav files are replaced with the external samples in the sound.cfg, otherwise you'll hear them in the cockpit of your aircraft!

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    "... I have a "Sounds" folder containing some lightweight soundsets from early FS9 and FS8 days for certain engine types as well as preconfigured "soundai" folders with aliased soundai.cfgs in them. All I need to do when installing a new AI airplane is pick a rough equivalent soundset for its engine type, pop in a copy of a suitable soundai folder and off I go.
    They certainly sound better than the default AI sounds don't they? Lots of time when I have FSX running, I'll just load up the Willys Jeep to a parking spot and watch the AI traffic. I really enjoy watching some of my AI traffic making touch and goes . I don't have the default AI traffic loaded so all I see is my own AI traffic.

RD

To save space, make a copy of sound.cfg as soundai.cfg in the model sound folder, then under the model make a soundai folder with only a file called soundai.cfg in it, which contains only the text to alias the model sound folder.

Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    They certainly sound better than the default AI sounds don't they? Lots of time when I have FSX running, I'll just load up the Willys Jeep to a parking spot and watch the AI traffic. I really enjoy watching some of my AI traffic making touch and goes . I don't have the default AI traffic loaded so all I see is my own AI traffic.
    Well, it all depends on the soundpack. Sometimes it's too quiet, sometimes it's a bit too loud and I have no motivation to rework the .wavs. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Well, it all depends on the soundpack. Sometimes it's too quiet, sometimes it's a bit too loud and I have no motivation to rework the .wavs. Oh well...
    I couldn't resist ....And sometimes it's just right!

RD

Thanks Paul, explains why I wasn't hearing some recently installed AI Airbus sounds for my FAIB models. I have a few other packs and need to tweak, as at times flying close formation the AI sound overpowers everything. Since I'm 100% MAIW, still trying to find some distinct Viper sounds to include 'burner on take off.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Bradburger View Post
    ..... And also, make sure the AI internal (cockpit) .wav files are replaced with the external samples in the sound.cfg, otherwise you'll hear them in the cockpit of your aircraft! Cheers Paul
    Thank you . I was wondering why I was hearing, e.g., flaps, etc., when I was sitting still.

RD

Members who have read this thread: 1