Autogen density

Thread: Autogen density

Autogen density

I think I need a refresher course on what the autogen settings do and how it might be affected by other scenery settings.

This morning I loaded FSX to take a short hop with the VS P-36A Hawk. When the flight loading bar reached the auto-generated scenery at 80%, FSX stopped responding. I repeated loading FSX and my flight 3 times this morning each with the same failure. Finally, I changed the autogen density settings from dense to normal, and was able to load my flight. After completing my 1st flight, I returned to the menu and reset the density settings back to dense and was able to load and complete a 2nd flight.

I have absolutely no idea as to why I had problems as none of my settinigs had changed and I had been flying under the dense autogen settings for as long as I can remember. I hate it when everything is fine before I retire for the day, and the next day these things surface. Aaarg.. I'll be in and out of the sim for the rest of the day and things will probably load fine for now, but I'd sure like some hint as to what is going on.

Any guidance and ideas would be appreciated? Thanks.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

WH, did you have other programs running at the first time you loaded the flight?

Remember that certain browsers (especially older versions) have memory leaks in them.

When I fly, I only have P3D and Outlook running.

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    I think I need a refresher course on what the autogen settings do and how it might be affected by other scenery settings.

This morning I loaded FSX to take a short hop with the VS P-36A Hawk. When the flight loading bar reached the auto-generated scenery at 80%, FSX stopped responding. I repeated loading FSX and my flight 3 times this morning each with the same failure. Finally, I changed the autogen density settings from dense to normal, and was able to load my flight. After completing my 1st flight, I returned to the menu and reset the density settings back to dense and was able to load and complete a 2nd flight.

I have absolutely no idea as to why I had problems as none of my settinigs had changed and I had been flying under the dense autogen settings for as long as I can remember. I hate it when everything is fine before I retire for the day, and the next day these things surface. Aaarg.. I'll be in and out of the sim for the rest of the day and things will probably load fine for now, but I'd sure like some hint as to what is going on.

Sounds almost like what happened with me yesterday. Booted up yesterday to take a VOR to VOR practice flight in the KC-97. BTW, the 97 is the last addition I made to my sim. It was a very pronounced slide show at around 9 FPS. First time ,that has EVER happened. I have my frames locked at 30 and rarely does it dip below 28.

After a couple reboots without any improvement I lowered the 2 autogen sliders from extremely dense to very dense. Booted up and took the planned flight with frames regid at 30. After the first flight I moved the AG sliders back to extremely dense, took the same flight and frames, like the previous flight, stayed hard on 30.

I hate when this happens, no rhyme or reason. It's almost like the sim is saying, "OK, it's time to mess with him!"

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

and here I thought it was just me - lol
    for the past two or three weeks I have been having trouble loading the initial flight - load bar gets to 83% (loading AI traffic?) and stalls
    task manager says "program not responding" - so I end task and try again - usually it works the second time through but wtfsx?!
    So I turned AI traffic off in FSX and disabled the FTX traffic manager and that worked - so I switched the FTX traffic back on and the sim
    loaded properly, but with zero air traffic...so I turned it off and then activated FSX default GA traffic only - the sim loaded but again zero air traffic
    So I turned the FTX program back on - which for those keeping score is SQUARE ONE - and it works fine...really! wtfsx !

I just bought an upgraded SSD (more space) and was waiting to swap it out until it became necessary....maybe the time has come
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    WH, did you have other programs running at the first time you loaded the flight?
    Johan
    Only the typical ones. Outlook and Explorer !! are typically closed. McAfee, CCCleaner and Dell Concierge are running in the background to monitor things. The event log pointed to ntdll which doesn't tell me much.

And yes, after my initial post I took another flight with my preferred settings (autogen density back to dense) and the MV P-38L loaded just fine. My typical "test" flight is up to Boeing Field where the Seattle scenery (and Orbx PNW) can be a challenge, but my flight was as smooth as butter. Go figure.
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post

Where you loading up a flight in a complex scenery area that you haven't used before? I recently had a similar problem when flying out of a payware airport with quite a complicated aircraft. It seemed to stall at around 83% and stayed there for a long time. As it didn't seem to be responding, I was just about to close FSX in the Task Manager when it finally continued to 100% and the flight opened. How long did it stay on 80%? It could be a combination of the VS P-36A Hawk and the area you were flying in.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    Where you loading up a flight in a complex scenery area that you haven't used before?
    Nope. My default flight is at my local airport in Olympia, WA (KOLM) with the default Cessna and Fair Weather. Most flights I just change the aircraft like this morning. If I want something different or more challenging, I will change the weather and location but this was not the case recently. Like I said, nothing changed. One day its fine, the next day it takes me a couple tries to get things back.
    -- WH

Members who have read this thread: 1