Windows say FS has stopped working

Thread: Windows say FS has stopped working

Windows say FS has stopped working

New install of FS9 in Win 8.1. It was working last night. This morning I get an error message saying FS has "stopped working" and the Windows is looking into it and will notify me when it has an answer. Now my Golden Wings install has the same problem.

Uninstall doesn't work either.

Any suggestions? Other than using the thing for a boat anchor which is being taken into consideration....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error message.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

It worked the day before. It doesn't work now.
    Figure out what could have changed overnight and try to revert said change(s).

Well, I did put in all my goodies from my old install on the old comp. At this point, a restore point and starting over from scratch is starting to look good.

With Golden Wings though, it was working, nothing else was done and now it's doing the same.

Willy,
    Did you happen to move over any saved flights or log files from older install? I can't remember if GW3 and FS9
    share those files or not. I would backup or move those files from My Documents and then delete both cfg files
    and restart the sims and see if that cures the problem before a restore.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

By chance, did W8.1 run any Automatic Updates recently? Perhaps that could be the culprit...

Hope you're able to remedy your difficulties!

Thanks to BB17s suggestion, they're both working now. I'm not sure if I'll be able to save flights, but it's flyable. GW3 is pretty much as I had it on the old comp, but FS9 is a total new install. Although I'm putting an abbreviated version of my old aircraft folder into it at the moment then will test again. Didn't fly most of that stuff anyway.

Thanks BB17!

Willy

Your welcome, I had a feeling that was the problem, as both sims were doing the same thing.
    Do you know if it was the save flights or the log file? I think it would be the log file if you moved
    that over as I had the same problem with a fresh install of FSX SE when I moved my log file
    over from an older install of FSX. If it was the log file you should have no issues with saving
    flights now.

P.S... Speaking of FSX SE you should give it a go next time it goes on sale for 5 bucks at Steam.
    Your new hotrod rig should handle it pretty well. You might be impressed with the Dark Side

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

I did move the old log file over, but I left it in and removed all the saved flights. I'm going to do a little experimentation and see if saving a flight causes the problem.

Had a nice online flight this evening with Moses & Taco. Everything was default but the aircraft, still I'm seeing a lot of potential here. Instead of just dumping all of the old stuff into it like I did this morning, I'm thinking now to just take my time and only use a few bits from the old install (mainly the mesh) and get the latest versions of the rest.

As for FS9 & GW3 sharing files, in the My Documents folders, they have separate folders and won't read each other. However I noticed this evening with the .cfg files, I had changed the settings in FS9, then closed out the sim. Started GW3 and went to changing the settings there from default and quickly found that they were matching what I'd just changed in FS9, but on a new FSGW.cfg that had just been generated. So I think they are talking to each other in that folder.

SOH-CM-2023
    From your screenshot it looks as if you are in full screen mode....FS doesn't like that in W8.1, see a similar problem in the FSX forum, ALT+ENTER (IIRC) toggles window/full screen mode.
    HTH
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    From your screenshot it looks as if you are in full screen mode....FS doesn't like that in W8.1, see a similar problem in the FSX forum, ALT+ENTER (IIRC) toggles window/full screen mode.
    HTH
    Keith
    Thanks! What I did last night was to set up the flight in windowed mode and shift to full screen for the actual flight. When I was through flying, I went back to windowed. It seemed to work fairly well that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    New install of FS9 in Win 8.1. It was working last night. This morning I get an error message saying FS has "stopped working" and the Windows is looking into it and will notify me when it has an answer. Now my Golden Wings install has the same problem.

Uninstall doesn't work either.

Any suggestions? Other than using the thing for a boat anchor which is being taken into consideration....

Funnily enough my Win7 rig just started doing that... right after a critical windows update... and now wont let me remove update.. GRRR

ttfn

Pete

Ouch!

I had a recurrence last night. Apparently there's a gauge for the A-26 that it doesn't like where it was fine before. "A26_engine_start.gau", i's and older gauge that I probably got with the old FS2k2 A-26 that makes the props turn over slow and then speed up as the engine starts with lots of smoke. Nice effect, but if it's going to cause things to have a hissy fit, I don't really need it. Problem is that other than Milton's Beech 18 and the Cal Classic C-46, I don't remember what all aircraft I put it in as I've been using it for a while. With the gauge though, I'm getting an error message naming it.

Members who have read this thread: 0