HMS Bounty for FSX/P3D Going Beta Today - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty for FSX/P3D Going Beta Today

Slater was never in the movie. Gable, Brando and Gibson have played the part of Fletcher Christian.

Thanks I am so excited.

I remember touring the replica with my sons here in Norfolk years ago. Such a shame she was lost and with some of her crew. But this looks to be a wonderful tribute!

Quote Originally Posted by olderndirt View Post
    Slater was never in the movie. Gable, Brando and Gibson have played the part of Fletcher Christian.
    LOL Ya got me! :-) My brain is fried ... :-/

Corrected; thanks :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olderndirt View Post
    And the brilliant, moving portrayal of Lieutenant Bligh, by Anthony Hopkins.

The 1984 movie 'Bounty' finally paid justice to Bligh as a human being, rather than villain and highlighted his spectacular acheivements of navigation and seamanship.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post

Great video, Ted!

Amazing :-)

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Thank you TuFun for the video.
    It convinced me to get rid of the ship's bell when winds are above 34 knots.

Nice move down to the lower deck, well done.

Good display of the helm, animated flags, sail positioning, and of sails and foot ropes.

I appreciate the time and effort required to do the video.

Thank you again
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I just spent the last two hours in complete bliss... I took my first sail up from Friday Harbor (W33), finally anchoring right close to Blakely Island (38WA). Had the thought along the way that turning up all of the boat traffic is easily doable, along with max autogen to get plenty of trees on the shore.

I'm completely hooked. This is wonderful!! The care and attention that has went into this is very evident. I appreciate being able to beta test, but I fear that I'm going to be a poor tester; at this point I'm so smitten with the ship that I'd be blind to any issues!
    Jim Stewart

Folks, please try the A2A Accufeel with this if you have it. I'm getting better ocean spray ambience on deck, and can control the wave speed and height.

Brilliant little Video Ted .. be ideal in New Zealand's Bay of Islands

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Little E meets Big E
    Trust you .. what are the ole cannon balls going to do on that

If there is another passion and pastime I enjoy as much as flying it's sailing. Great work Milton on this - can't wait to try her out.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    If there is another passion and pastime I enjoy as much as flying it's sailing. Great work Milton on this - can't wait to try her out.
    Thanks everyone for the comments and observations.

1) Just wanted to note that the ship's bells ring continuously in winds >34 knots, or in visibility less than 300 meters (fog). You can change the wx to avoid that or temporarily rename "foghorn" in the sound folder. :-)
    We are changing the ship's bells to be simply manual. i.e. you choose when to sound the bell. :-)

2) Initial testers seem to always want to have wind at their back precisely. That is unnecessary. Setting winds anywhere aft is more than sufficient to propel the ship. The no-go zone for headwinds is 50 degrees either side of the bow so you have lots of flexibility as long as you position the sails to catch the wind. :-) Also, crosswinds enhance the sailing experience as the ship keels to one side. Great fun!

3) We appreciate the testers and the feedback is most valuable. I would like to have some DX10 and P3D v2.n testers to sort out some issues there. Aside from that, things seem to be going very well.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post

2) Initial testers seem to always want to have wind at their back precisely. That is unnecessary. Setting winds anywhere aft is more than sufficient to propel the ship. The no-go zone for headwinds is 50 degrees either side of the bow so you have lots of flexibility as long as you position the sails to catch the wind. :-) Also, crosswinds enhance the sailing experience as the ship keels to one side. Great fun!
    I can agree with that! The short jaunt I underwent last night was with real world weather. It was more or less favorable but mild, with the winds coming from starboard at about 100 - 120 degrees for most of my trip. With 8 knot winds, and setting my sails appropriately, I was sailing at 7 knots. Wasn't super fast, but I had a visually stirring lean to port, and even 7 knots gives you the impression that you're moving.

I think the most immersive thing would be to try and use existing weather and still focus on your destination. There's times of course where you aren't going to get anywhere very fast, but that would be completely true to life I would think!

At 7 knots, one interesting thing is that I had lots of interaction with AI vessels. They come to a stop if you're going to cross their path. In one instance, I had a small cabin cruiser stop to let me pass, then it proceeded behind me, came around my starboard side, traveled further ahead before turning off to port, crossing my path and taking off. Pure fluke, but it was like they came out just to check out the neat sailing ship.

I'm already planning a journey northwards along the pacific coast, perhaps as far as Sitka. It'll be an interesting undertaking.

I'm really enjoying this... much more than many recent payware aircraft releases. Perhaps it's the novelty, but this is seriously fun!

I have very high hopes that this might lead to a smaller sailing vessel, perhaps a bit newer than the Bounty but still wood, but one that could of feasibly been operated by one or two crew.

I may yet re-install P3Dv2 just to get stuff like the fancy shadows; would be neat to sail in and out of shadows cast by the clouds on the water.
    Jim Stewart

No words necessary

Very, very stunning!
    Jim Stewart

Very, very cool. Is there a function where we can mutiny and throw the captain overboard?

Now that the dynamics are understood, fast forward a few years and maybe, just maybe we will be able to re-enact the Battle of Cherbourg with the CSS Alabama and the USS Kearsarge. Now wouldn't that be awesome! Well done folks!
    Matt

A few comments.

This is not a jump in the boat and sail simulation, which is good! It helps to have some basic knowledge of sailing as well. That being said, I'm smitten by the simulation. You can get locked in irons quite easily when coming about. So yes, I quickly discovered I could not tack through the 50 degree dead zone! it's a bit of a trick to rotate the sails properly when the helm rolls over if you are not using the auto skipper mode. It's not a America's cup racer, but I've been at 15 knots in 24 knot winds so far close hauled. Accufeel seems to really boost the wave spray sound. I'd like a feature to turn off the bird sounds when at sea. The canon shot is brilliant! Turn up the volume when you do this! I also suspect that a crew will be added when released ;-)

The screen shot possibilities are endless! We'll need a contest!

- j

A few comments.

This is not a jump in the boat and sail simulation, which is good! It helps to have some basic knowledge of sailing as well. That being said, I'm smitten by the simulation. You can get locked in irons quite easily when coming about. So yes, I quickly discovered I could not tack through the 50 degree dead zone! it's a bit of a trick to rotate the sails properly when the helm rolls over if you are not using the auto skipper mode. It's not a America's cup racer, but I've been at 15 knots in 24 knot winds so far close hauled. Accufeel seems to really boost the wave spray sound. I'd like a feature to turn off the bird sounds when at sea. The canon shot is brilliant! Turn up the volume when you do this! I also suspect that a crew will be added when released ;-)

The screen shot possibilities are endless! We'll need a contest!

- j
    Actually, its 50 degrees each side of the bow, common for a square rigged ship like this. You just do not have the speed and agility to move through 100 degrees of head winds. BUT ... if you position the sails to face the head wind, the winds will back you up (up to 4 knots) and you can steer out of the situation, then flip the sails around and be gone. :-)

The bells and the birds are being changed as we speak as we are still tweaking sounds in general. Bells to be used at your discretion, and birds only a few minutes will fade away as your get underway.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton, If you have time I could use you in Teamspeak!

Beautiful work Milton and might I say brilliant as well. I am just now learning the joys of P3D v2.5 and can't wait to sail the Bounty through the Beagle Channel or around the Horn in stormy seas.

The waves in P3D are something else!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Very, very cool. Is there a function where we can mutiny and throw the captain overboard?
    No, but there'll be something or other about a mutiny report in the release version.

Would you like a function where you'll get to meet the gunner's daughter, Sir?

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Members who have read this thread: 1