No more CH-46's flying?

Thread: No more CH-46's flying?

No more CH-46's flying?

Is this a farewell to CH-46's?

Saw this on Facebook this morning:

"Pharewell Phrog :>(( Today this amazing warhorse will fly off into the sunset--to AZ for the last time. Leaving HMMT-164 at Camp Pendelton and leaving a big hole in the West Coast as there will be no more CH-46's rumbling in the sky overhead. Roxane and I had the honor of painting the Vietnam Flying death on the tail. Another sad day in Aviation history." NC

L

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Unless you count the KV-107s of Columbia Helicopters, sadly I think you are right.
    Andy

Blog Entries

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post

Thanks for that. I should have clarified my post, meaning no more U.S. military units operating them. NC

Used to fuel "Phrogs" from New River when they stopped by our FBO. PEDRO (Marine Air/Sea Rescue) HH-46E's were a constant on our ramp, especially during searches for missing boaters or aircraft. Will miss the "Thump of the Phrog" churning the overhead air...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When I was the Aviation Fuels Chief on the gator freighter, we used to refuel 'em all the time along with the CH-53s.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I know I rode in more than one during my career NC

DoS is flying them, some still in USMC TPS colors. During my 2011/12 deployment, heard a different callsign over the radio landing at our FOB. Went out to peak and saw 2x Phrogs landing for fuel. Thinking the Marines were pretty far North, noticed they now had N#'s instead. Had Columbia and DoS 46s all over during my latest deployment. I'm scared of them, so never had a chance to ride in one during my USN career, preferred my own SH-60.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Soon...no more Phrogs ! So long Sea Knight, best tandem rotor helo ever (sorry, Chinook fans)...gone but not phorgotten! Several good buddies and associates were lost in crashes. By the way Navy Chief, I turned wrenches on the one hanging in your museum. The Naval Air Museum is on my bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by phrog_phixer View Post
    Soon...no more Phrogs ! So long Sea Knight, best tandem rotor helo ever (sorry, Chinook fans)...gone but not phorgotten! Several good buddies and associates were lost in crashes. By the way Navy Chief, I turned wrenches on the one hanging in your museum. The Naval Air Museum is on my bucket list.

Am actually at the museum presently Just finished inventorying some old Aviation Week Magazine collections (1940s-1960s). NC

Dang, that's sad to hear. Got some pics, taken from the island of USS Enterprise (CVN-65) while "UNREP'ing" from USS Sacramento (AOE-1), 1982-ish. Got to ride in the back of one once. From the deck of USS Midway (CV-41) to USNS Kilauea (AE-26), and the next morning from the ship to the island of Masirah. That was pretty cool.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

One off those types that really look the part , be time have the old Alphasim/Virtavia upgrade complete internal rebuild.

Used to see the Marines practicing slingloads down near San Onofre when I was head to SD.

My former bass player's son wrenches on the Ospreys. Maybe I'm too old fashioned and thick headed, but if you were looking to design an aircraft more complex and dangerous than a helicopter, it would be the Tilt Rotor.

Obie

Quote Originally Posted by Obie311 View Post
    Used to see the Marines practicing slingloads down near San Onofre when I was head to SD.

My former bass player's son wrenches on the Ospreys. Maybe I'm too old fashioned and thick headed, but if you were looking to design an aircraft more complex and dangerous than a helicopter, it would be the Tilt Rotor.

Obie

Is the Osprey the replacement for the Phrog?

Correct, as most squadrons are now "VMM-xxx". The CH-53D squadrons transitioned as well, the "E's" will be waiting on the new CH-53K.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 0