DH114 Heron Upgrade WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DH114 Heron Upgrade WIP

Err.. WOW!!

ATB
    DaveB

I fly the Apache airlines version quite a lot around the U.S. - it now looks like a completely new 'plane. Absolutely stunning

Allright, I think it is time to install this plane. I bought it from sales last Christmas, but had not enthusiasm enough to install and test it as it looked like a plastic model in the screenshots. Thank You.

Outstanding work I also fly the apache airlines around in my home state of new mexico.

Looking truly excellent.

Standing by, patiently, for one or another of those Prinair paints...
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    Looking truly excellent.

Standing by, patiently, for one or another of those Prinair paints...
    I did manage to find an unconverted Prinair Heron photograph.

I've added more texture to the aluminum panels and subtle shadowing around hatches, hinges and other bits. Also brought the wings to a nice service aircraft appearance. I think the basic kit is close...have a look and hit me with any details I'm overlooking.

[IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/********/DH-114_37_zpszyrwmzu4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/********/DH-114_34_zpsmgzy0r09.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/********/DH-114_36_zpsywgzfsyv.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/********/DH-114_35_zps6sxky0bl.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by gman5250; April 15th, 2015 at 19:54.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

My word "G"... stunning, realistic, and beautiful work! P3Dv2 just makes it look a whole lot better!!!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I did manage to find an unconverted Prinair Heron.
    Oh, that's a beauty!

Was just looking at Prinair Heron photos - had forgotten about the variety of colors. Thought immediately of Braniff, then discovered the Wikipedia entry makes the same comparison. I think mine was one of the red or orange ones, but at 40-plus years remove, I can't be sure. Doesn't matter. This one will do nicely. Am setting aside time to take her down to San Juan whenever you're ready. No rush, but when you're there, I'll be there.

Thanks for taking her on!

-- Saint-Exupery

Blog Entries
    I only had one photo for reference, on this skin. Poor quality, but good enough to get the lines and necessary data.

I've got the kit for the retractable variant almost ready. The fixed gear version is basically the same with a couple of extra parts. That kit can be done quickly.

I've been flying the Heron quite a bit while doing the dev work on the skins. I usually fly a tube once or twice a week to stay proficient, but low and slow is more to my liking. I love these old planes that need to be coaxed to flight speed. They keep you on your toes, rather than dialing in a power rating and watching the instruments.

Glad you liked the Prinair skin. I like the jelly bean colors, but those are all Lycoming conversions, so I thought I'd stay with this variant.

Hey, TuFun...thanks for the encouragement. BTW...great sound on the Strat...
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Glad you liked the Prinair skin. I like the jelly bean colors, but those are all Lycoming conversions, so I thought I'd stay with this variant.
    Ah, that makes sense. Sorry, I'm just coming up to speed on my Heron variants - been trying to master obscure Spitfires just recently (recon versions, field modifications and such) but my Herons are behind the curve. Would much rather stay authentic. I don't even like using Spitfire Mk V paints on the A2A Mk I/II, let alone the later versions, though I'll do it if I have to. So a correctly engined Heron is more than OK.

With you on low and slow. Three things stuck with me about those Prinair flights: the captain finishing his preflight, turning to all of us lined up on the ramp and saying "OK, let's go to St. Thomas"; the St. Thomas-bound flight, where we slowly (it seemed) overtook a big tanker at about 4,000 feet, and the return flight, where we flew out over the harbor at Charlotte Amalie, right overhead a lit-up cruise ship - Carnival's first, the Mardi Gras. A whole different way to fly. Regular airliner flying was never the same for me after that.

So between the Heron and Manfred's C-47, I'm good...

-- Saint-Exupery

I can't be the only person slack-jawed at the quality of these textures - flippin' amazing.....

As an aside, digging around some sound files I have, I came across an old set done my David Copley & Mark Cranston for the Dove/Devon in FS9 back in 2006 and popped them in - really nice they are too. I'm not sure if they're still available but if anyone's interested, drop me a pm and I'll get them to you - file size around 10.7mbs

Again great work. Looking for these repaints to go in my hanger. texture work is great!!!!

Blog Entries
    I added a variation of aluminum textures to individual panels on the fuse, wings and nacelles. This really brought the skin(s) to an almost photorealistic appearance, with subtle flaws and scratches adding to the overall effect. I had been working with 32 bit textures, but they render unwanted patterns in the skin at 4096 resolution. I kept the 4096 and am going to stick with DXT5.

The four basic models are ready to go. These are aluminum service skin, polished aluminum, two tone service skin and two tone high polish. These should be a good foundation for paints. I didn't over do the details...I'll leave that for the painters.

The upgrade kit will apply to all existing skins with new bumps and spec files. I'll release individual skins i.e. Prinair, Apache and RAF as separate releases. If there is enough interest, I'll tidy up the Photoshop PK and post that up as well.

P3Dv2 HDR lighting absolutely loves these skins. They are extremely dynamic when flown on DX11 capable systems. FSX with Steve's Fixer is quite nice as well. Haven't had a look in Steam yet....

Thoughts...opinions....suggestions...all welcome.

Polished Aluminum
    [IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/********/DH-114_49_zpszyqa7yf3.jpg[/IMG]

Service Aluminum
    [IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/********/DH-114_44_zpsduhjxnoy.jpg[/IMG]

Polished Two Tone
    [IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/********/DH-114_48_zpszhd0qmc8.jpg[/IMG]

Service Two Tone
    [IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/********/DH-114_46_zpsfhsrcjdi.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by gman5250; April 17th, 2015 at 19:19.
    Thomas Jefferson

I added a variation of aluminum textures to individual panels on the fuse, wings and nacelles. This really brought the skin(s) to an almost photorealistic appearance, with subtle flaws and scratches adding to the overall effect. I had been working with 32 bit textures, but they render unwanted patterns in the skin at 4096 resolution. I kept the 4096 and am going to stick with DXT5.

The four basic models are ready to go. These are aluminum service skin, polished aluminum, two tone service skin and two tone high polish. These should be a good foundation for paints. I didn't over do the details...I'll leave that for the painters.

The upgrade kit will apply to all existing skins with new bumps and spec files. I'll release individual skins i.e. Prinair, Apache and RAF as separate releases. If there is enough interest, I'll tidy up the Photoshop PK and post that up as well.

P3Dv2 HDR lighting absolutely loves these skins. They are extremely dynamic when flown on DX11 capable systems. FSX with Steve's Fixer is quite nice as well. Haven't had a look in Steam yet....

Thoughts...opinions....suggestions...all welcome.

Polished Aluminum

Service Aluminum

Polished Two Tone

Service Two Tone
    [IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/********/DH-114_46_zpsfhsrcjdi.jpg[/IMG]
    The forward section looks like a different rivet pattern. Is this normal to the aircraft? I didn't notice that in previous shots.

Superb !...looking absolutely great . I am getting really excited here , particularly with the thought of interior textures too ! Many thanks "G"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    The forward section looks like a different rivet pattern. Is this normal to the aircraft? I didn't notice that in previous shots.
    I checked the pattern against available photos and it looks like it's accurate. I did go back and dial up the detail in the bump maps, adding expansion stress and general contouring on all of the surfaces. The last set of photos are showing the new bump files.

I'm still digging about for more reference photos to get the relief profiles as close as I can get them. This is the kind of input I'm looking for...thanks.
    Thomas Jefferson

I know the Dove had a fabric Rudder/ailerons and wondered if the same was true about the Heron . Checked out Wikipedia and she's all metal.

They had this photo of a good looking instrument panel . Maybe some inspiration ?

Jumping the gun , I know !

I know the Dove had a fabric Rudder/ailerons and wondered if the same was true about the Heron . Checked out Wikipedia and she's all metal.
    Not quite sure where Wiki got that information from but the control surfaces on the Heron are fabric covered. The outer wings and tail are pretty much straight off the shelf Dove parts. This was done for a couple of reasons.. a) to keep manufacturing costs down and b) to offer a better degree of commonality of spares for operators using both types. It's going back a bit now but I'm sure this is right

ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries
    That's an outstanding cockpit reference photo. I'll archive that one. BTW... have a look at what is sitting just inside the hangar door...

I'm quite certain that the Dove and Heron did use shared parts and had cloth aileron, h and v stab. I had a helluva time finding reference photos to count the actual ribs....I may or not be absolutely accurate in the art, but I can always correct any bits that need fixing.

Wikipedia is always a good source for information, but bear in mind that all data is contributor based. Checks and balances are built in to the interface so that corrections can be made on the fly.

I did do some quick mods on the cockpit and interior, those will be included in the skins releases.

I'll go have another read on the Wiki site.....

Edit: I read the Wiki entry. I think when the article states that the aircraft was all metal construction, they were pointing out the distinction of the Dove and Heron from earlier plywood aircraft that DH had produced during the war. The description was a bit ambiguous, and not anatomically comprehensive...

Good input though...

G
    Thomas Jefferson

Good spot GMAN. The Heron is G-AOTI at the DH Museum in London Colney. I've been inside her but she was a bit rough and ready at the time. The outside was being blasted ready to accept her original RR colours but they were good enough to let me in. The Mossie you see through the windows is immaculate. It wouldn't take much to get her flying but there is no intention to do so. The team would rather have an immaculate example than have one damaged in an accident.. possibly lost forever. In the hangar around the corner is an original P model. Looking at the field alongside the DHM (which is where the prototype was built) it's difficult to believe it took off from there!!
    The cream panel in AOTI wasn't standard fit and was undoubtedly specified by RR.. it being the company hack and fitted out to match RR's standing

G-AREA is there too.. a Mk8 Dove painted as she was as the BAe hack. You can't get into the flightdeck mind you.. too many folk with sticky fingers taking keep-sakes have seen to that Incidentally.. the panel in Derek Palmers FS9 Dove is based on G-AREA and his FS9 Heron is based loosely on AOTI.

ATB
    DaveB

Ahh, the DH Museum! Spent a good few hours in there.

Blog Entries
    I remember falling in love with the Mossie when I saw Squadron 633 as a kid. Ever since then it has been my unsurpassed favorite. That being said, I would be ecstatic to see a state-of-the-art model of the Hornet/Sea Hornet. If I were to have one wish...it would be to have a go at a real Hornet...just once.
    Thomas Jefferson

I checked the pattern against available photos and it looks like it's accurate. I did go back and dial up the detail in the bump maps, adding expansion stress and general contouring on all of the surfaces. The last set of photos are showing the new bump files.

I'm still digging about for more reference photos to get the relief profiles as close as I can get them. This is the kind of input I'm looking for...thanks.
    Looking at the best web photos, it looks spot on.

d

That's an outstanding cockpit reference photo. I'll archive that one. BTW... have a look at what is sitting just inside the hangar door...

I'm quite certain that the Dove and Heron did use shared parts and had cloth aileron, h and v stab..

G
    I actually replaced the fabric from a rudder of a Dove some decades ago, and just to clarify G's post - trying to remember ! - I thought the fin is metal covered (Dural ) but rudder is fabric , same with wings of course - wing metal, aileron fabric ( Dacron) .
    Confirmed by Mr Google

Gman,
    I think these new textures look great! I just did a couple of skins for the Heron and was not particularly happy with the polished metal portion so I've not released them. I was about to start fiddling with the metal when I saw this thread. I am very interested in your new textures and revised paint kits. I'll gladly redo the work I did so far using your new paint-kits. I look forward to their release. Thanks for all of your work!

Mike

Members who have read this thread: 4