The Belgian WW I ace Jan Olieslagers

Thread: The Belgian WW I ace Jan Olieslagers

The Belgian WW I ace Jan Olieslagers

It is not my habbit to re-do textures which have already been done by other repainters. However in this case I made an exception as this repaint doesn’t really look like the other repaint of the same aircraft.

As pictures from the Great War are always in black & white and often of poor quality. Therefore there is a lot room for the artists own interpretation. This is why there are also many different ideas about the Sopwith Camel flown by the Belgian ace Jan Olieslagers. In the original package of the Classic Wings Camel there is a version of this Camel with a white nose with red triangles. However in the Stampe & Verdongen museum there is a replica which has the white nose with green triangles and other differences. I based my repaint on the profile by James F. Miller in the book “the Belgian air service in the first world war” by Walter Pieters. Which in my opinion comes very close to the well-known picture of this aircraft and its pilot.

The "Antwerp Devil" was the first man to achieve a speed of 100 km/h on a motorcycle. Olieslagers fascination with racing motorcycles led to a world championship in 1902. As his interest shifted to aircraft, he purchased a plane in 1909 and within four years, he'd set seven world records. When the Germans invaded Belgium, he and his two brothers joined the army and donated their three Blériot XI monoplanes to the war effort. In his first aerial combat, Olieslagers attacked an enemy aircraft armed only with a pistol. Throughout the war, he seldom bothered to claim the enemy aircraft he destroyed. Despite a modest score of six confirmed victories, Olieslagers flew 491 sorties and engaged in 97 dogfights. Returning to Antwerp at the end of the war, Olieslagers was responsible for the development of the Antwerp Airport in 1923. (Source : The Aerodrome)

And some additional screenies

Cheers,
    Huub

Brilliant work!
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Excellent!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Gorgeous Huub!!!
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    And some additional screenies

Cheers,
    Huub
    I've studied the Belgian aviators quite a lot. I must say that this looks outstanding.

Here is a pic of the Sopwith Camel replica of the Stampe & Vertongen Museum at Deurne.
    http://www.belgian-wings.be/images/M...seum_01_sv.jpg

http://www.belgian-wings.be/images/M...seum_02_sv.jpg

If you want to know more about the Belgian Aces and aircraft look here.

http://www.belgian-wings.be/
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

very cool!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    very cool!
    Good to see you JanKees, as I might need your help. I have started another repaint of a Belgian Camel. This one time it is the Camel in the Royal Military Museum in Brussels. However there is something painted on the fuselage which I can't read.

This Camel has been built by Clayton and Shuttleworth in Lincoln. I assume the arched text is "Clayton and Shuttleworth" in at the bottom I read "Lincoln", but I haven't got a clue what the word in between is. I hope somebody here knows this logo. Otherwise............ . Yep it is sometimes handy to have friends in Brussels....

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub..

I think the larger word in the middle is actually Clayton. The wording above definitely contains Shuttleworth but there's more I can't make out I'm afraid.

ATB
    DaveB

Thanks Dave, I think you are right. I found several examples of Clayton & Shuttleworth logos at the web which contained an "additional" underlined Clayton in the middle of the logo.

Clayton must have been more important in those days than Shuttleworth

Thanks again,
    Huub

Huub,

A question you probably have seen coming from miles away. Will you be making these paints available??

Oh, and what is the scenery in the first shot??

Cheers,

Johan

Johan, there are still some minor things I want to add/change, but I will upload this one here at the SOH. I also will make the B5747 of the Royal Museum of the army and military History in Brussels available once it is finished.

The scenery is LFTC Korney Tchukovsky Memorial air field which comes with the freeware Neoqb Fokker Dr.1.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Huub! You're a true gentleman!

Johan

OK, quick visit to the museum and all is solved:

they actually switched off the alarm to let me take this pic

While I was there, some more details of the tail:

and there's two of these on either side:
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

and for those that have never been to this museum: whenever you're in Brussels, do visit! It's free, and it has the most amazing collection of aircraft, from pre-WWI to modern, with some pretty unique things. Where else can you see a Fairey Battle, or a Blenheim, or a Voisin?

That's excellent Jan I thought the first word on the small print was going to be Clayton with Ltd after Shuttleworth but couldn't be sure. Some museums are really good about this sort of thing and long may that continue. Others on the other hand can be so unhelpful, it's painful!!

ATB
    DaveB

Thanks JanKees, your efforts are highly appreciated. And I fully agree with you this museum definitely has a unique collection. I think they must have the largest collection of original WW-I aircraft.

Although I don't see anything new, I do see most things have been moved in a different position, so I will try to visit the museum later this year. BTW Is the roof already repaired?

Cheers,
    Huub

With some help from friends

The B5747 from the Royal Museum from the army and military history in Brussels.

Cheers,
    Huub

Excellent Huub

Seeing your earlier paint prompted me to re-visit the Camel. I'll be more than happy to add this to my collection
    ATB
    DaveB

Both repaints are available in the library.

Enjoy,
    Huub

Got the first one.. the second wasn't up at the time. Having some fun with Roy Brown

Cheers Huub
    ATB
    DaveB

Members who have read this thread: 2