Can a Gmax model be opened in 3D StudioMax?

Thread: Can a Gmax model be opened in 3D StudioMax?

Can a Gmax model be opened in 3D StudioMax?

I looked at my choices when trying to Export a Gmax model, but .3ds was not among them. Nor was .obj. But "All Formats" was. Am I right in feeling that it's not possible?
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauksbee View Post
    I looked at my choices when trying to Export a Gmax model, but .3ds was not among them. Nor was .obj. But "All Formats" was. Am I right in feeling that it's not possible?

I'm using 3DS Max 2015 and the P3D SDK successfully including XtoModel. I've got a ton of GMAX models to convert. It's do able.

You can't go directly from GMAX to 3DS, but .mdl files can be converted with texture mapping preserved, even with multiple texture sheets.

Give me more details...maybe I can get you pointed in the right direction.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Give me more details...maybe I can get you pointed in the right direction.
    I just discovered an object-oriented programming language software called ALICE that hopes to teach very basic programming by animating simple objects (animals, humans, vehicles, etc.) with the aim of teaching game structure. They have a fair library of models, but they're pretty crude. I'm hoping to build my own. I got a good textbook on ALICE, but virtually no information on modeling, except that they use 3D StudioMax. I'm now using Gmax to build my first modding models for CFS3 and made to following low-poly models with simple primitives. Thus my question...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ALICE PLANES.jpg  
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Blog Entries
    Check out this thread.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...w-tool.425397/

I have a number of my own gmax projects already in 3DS Max without issue.

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Blog Entries
    Eurostar's link will take you to the FFG tool. The tool works well in my experience if you are trying to convert an existing model

If you have the option to use 3DS Max to create your models I would go with that and save the extra effort of converting GMAX models. The work environment in Max is much more user friendly than GMAX.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by gman5250; April 1st, 2015 at 06:36.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    If you have the option to use 3DS Max to create your models I would go with that and save the extra effort of converting....
    I agree. I will do that. Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0