Help?

Thread: Help?

Help?

I did not play CFS II for a long time but always loved it, with all the great adds on, its still a great sim as many of you know 15 years later.

Despite my search I have been unable to find solution to a few problems.One is how to alter the chance of being killed in a bail out.When I bail out, I am killed more than not, pretty unrealistic.Not sure what file would address that. Also, any AI upgrades so they do not crash so much and follow orders? My wingman seem to always crash and takes repeated orders to get them to attack if they do at all, especially when flying SBD TBF etc. Anyone use the MB mod that makes TBF glide bomb? They seem to collide with one another far too often.Annoying, would like to fix it but not sure how.While old news to many, pretty new to me.

Thanks for the helo.

This should be posted in http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ral-Discussion

Being killed in a bail out likely has to do with speed that your going at bail out.

AI Wingmen and AI in Gen have always sucked in CFS2. AI wingmen are next to useless for any thing but targets and they don't do that well as the AI will kill the player and leave your Wingmen alone.

Addon .air files that make AI only aircraft player flyable are offten not AI friendly. Making the TBF glide bomb for AI use would make it unable to use Torpedeos (this dose not apply to player's wingmen).
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    This should be posted in http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ral-Discussion

Being killed in a bail out likely has to do with speed that your going at bail out.

AI Wingmen and AI in Gen have always sucked in CFS2. AI wingmen are next to useless for any thing but targets and they don't do that well as the AI will kill the player and leave your Wingmen alone.

Addon .air files that make AI only aircraft player flyable are offten not AI friendly. Making the TBF glide bomb for AI use would make it unable to use Torpedeos (this dose not apply to player's wingmen).

Thanks. Well I am aware of the speed, remember reading that in the manual years ago but seems in what should be a "safe" bail out, killed every time.Happen to know the file dealing with that? Well I use two TBF's, the regular overhauled TBF when need torpedoes, use the other when want glide bombers.Glide bombing mod works well, just annoying how the AI crash into one another nearly every time.

The AI attack in pairs I pair the most experienced with the least before a mission (Campaign). And I select the best of them to be the lead pilot of the "second order."

For surface targets, what I do to reduce collisions is to order them to split after each attack order. That way they attack in waves and don't bunch up. After a target is destroyed, recall them quickly to avoid collisions and crashing into the sea or land and designate another target quickly if there is one. Try to keep track of who has bombs or torpedoes left and send those with guns only to attack weaker, secondary targets or again at a primary to soak off some of the flak from the armed ones.

In a dogfight, a general attack order without designating a specific target is best. They will go in pairs after the nearest enemy. When attacking bombers, trying to designate a bomber in a separate formation for each pair works best for me.

Managing AI wingmen takes experience. I have been fairly successful with them and have had some reach the level of ace in campaigns. There is a utility called AI Promoter which works well for 1 campaign/install at a time. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=49&id=2791 It will label and assign skill levels to your wingmen in the "flight setup" window (see screenshot below). Note the rankings. They are assigned to a pilot at the beginning of his career when you reset the AI Promoter.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    The AI attack in pairs I pair the most experienced with the least before a mission (Campaign). And I select the best of them to be the lead pilot of the "second order."

For surface targets, what I do to reduce collisions is to order them to split after each attack order. That way they attack in waves and don't bunch up. After a target is destroyed, recall them quickly to avoid collisions and crashing into the sea or land and designate another target quickly if there is one. Try to keep track of who has bombs or torpedoes left and send those with guns only to attack weaker, secondary targets or again at a primary to soak off some of the flak from the armed ones.

In a dogfight, a general attack order without designating a specific target is best. They will go in pairs after the nearest enemy. When attacking bombers, trying to designate a bomber in a separate formation for each pair works best for me.

Managing AI wingmen takes experience. I have been fairly successful with them and have had some reach the level of ace in campaigns. There is a utility called AI Promoter which works well for 1 campaign/install at a time. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=49&id=2791 It will label and assign skill levels to your wingmen in the "flight setup" window (see screenshot below). Note the rankings. They are assigned to a pilot at the beginning of his career when you reset the AI Promoter.

Thanks for the response.Well I rarely play a campaign, usually build my own single missions. Is there a way to bring up the competence level overall? I always set them to ace and most of my enemies minus the bombers because they want to act like fighters if I do, but enemy fighters except real late in the war are at ace status with various aggression levels.

My wingman and to a degree other AI flights just do a lot of crashing into things and colliding with one another, way more than should. Most common is with the Multi Bomb mod I downloaded, made a glide bombing TBF for AI and can fly it as well.It's great because level bombing in TBF became pretty rare after mid late 42 from what I understand.

I will definitely try more management as you suggested to see how it works.

Members who have read this thread: 1