GAS: In the Works Stampe - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GAS: In the Works Stampe

cockpit panels

Finished the panels for the project. Here's a look at them in the VC for the open and canopy versions. These are in P3D FSX is below

cockpit panelsFSX

Ow, that looks pretty nice! Are you considering doing an AO pass on the fuselage inside (cockpit walls)?
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Looking good. The Stampes I've flown in had three piece windscreens, whilst these here appear to be a one piece plexiglass version. I'm liking it a lot, but sometimes have to look twice at the screenshots to see that there is something actually there. Just a thought.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    Looking good. The Stampes I've flown in had three piece windscreens, whilst these here appear to be a one piece plexiglass version. I'm liking it a lot, but sometimes have to look twice at the screenshots to see that there is something actually there. Just a thought.

Martin

Hi Martin

The aircraft I've been studying all have single piece windscreens albeit with some distortion where the plexi has been folded. Might be able to simulate that effect. See attached. Do you have pictures of a three piece windscreen installed on a Stampe?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SV-4..V29...Cockpit (11).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Spad54 View Post
    Hi Martin

The aircraft I've been studying all have single piece windscreens albeit with some distortion where the plexi has been folded. Might be able to simulate that effect. See attached. Do you have pictures of a three piece windscreen installed on a Stampe?
    Will have a look through my old photos. Both of the ones I flew (a B and C) were rebuild projects, so perhaps the screens were rather on the unique side, but will still have a look. Was a long time ago now, but seem to remember the frames. If they were one off (well two offs) then what you have is correct. Keep up the good work, look forward to the end result.

Cheers,

Martin

Edit: Am asking my Stampe owning friends now, and so far it seems its 50/50 as to framed and one piece windscreens. Here is a photo I took of a friend in one at Vervier, Belgium in 2009. On the original it can be seen to have three pieces as one is chipped and worn.

Last edited by T6flyer; April 20th, 2015 at 10:14.

I hope I do not get crucified for this post! I have always loved the Stampe SV4 (apart fron the 'orrible looking enclosed cockpit - I don't like the enclosed Tiger Moth either! I accept that it should be modelled to cover the Belgian Military/Civil versions).
    I also love all GAS oferings and have the majority of them. As far as the Stampe is concerned, this is impressive stuff and I will no doubt buy it when completed. I have looked at the pictures posted and keep thinking 'something does not look quite right' but have struggled to put my finger on what it is. I have looked at a lot of pictures of the aircraft and it has literally just hit me - the tip of the fin does not look quite rounded enough but more seriously the nose contour appears to curve downwards too soon. It is a straight line from the front of the first windshield to the end of the engine cowlings - the curve down only starts at the nose itself. Why I did not notice this earlier is annoying as I guess it is too late to change now. Apologies for that. I will still get the model whatever, too much work has gone into it.

cheers, Peter Watkins
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1025057F.jpg  

Time for a slice of humble pie...just had confirmation from Matthew Boddington who has worked and flown on Stampes for over 40 years as that the windscreen is a single piece bent into shape. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. Must start taking some memory tablets as was convinced there were three pieces. How wrong could I be?

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by peterwatkins2 View Post
    I hope I do not get crucified for this post! I have always loved the Stampe SV4 (apart fron the 'orrible looking enclosed cockpit - I don't like the enclosed Tiger Moth either! I accept that it should be modelled to cover the Belgian Military/Civil versions).
    I also love all GAS oferings and have the majority of them. As far as the Stampe is concerned, this is impressive stuff and I will no doubt buy it when completed. I have looked at the pictures posted and keep thinking 'something does not look quite right' but have struggled to put my finger on what it is. I have looked at a lot of pictures of the aircraft and it has literally just hit me - the tip of the fin does not look quite rounded enough but more seriously the nose contour appears to curve downwards too soon. It is a straight line from the front of the first windshield to the end of the engine cowlings - the curve down only starts at the nose itself. Why I did not notice this earlier is annoying as I guess it is too late to change now. Apologies for that. I will still get the model whatever, too much work has gone into it.

cheers, Peter Watkins
    You have a point about the cowl. (not yet convinced about how much to modify the rudder) That can be addressed. Good pick up. It pays to have eyes look at the project as it progresses. Thanks for pointing that out.

Charter Member 2015
    Looking forward to the Stampe. There are a couple based at my local field including EI-BAJ..

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

You have a point about the cowl. (not yet convinced about how much to modify the rudder) That can be addressed. Good pick up. It pays to have eyes look at the project as it progresses. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Capt. Miller: " Ryban - pay attention now....this is the proper way to gripe!"
    ..from Saving Private Ryan
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Stampe New Cowl

Here is the plane with the new and more accurate cowl. Again, Peter, Thanks for pointing it out. Looks much better with the new nose

Here is the plane with the new and more accurate cowl. Again, Peter, Thanks for pointing it out. Looks much better with the new nose

Wow! That was quick! Impressive. Looking great

I agree - the improved Stampe looks correct at the nose, compared to the r/l examples provided.

the tail (vert fin and rudder) still look a little different - the r/l example looks similar to what you see on a Stearman - while the GAS version looks more DeHavilland...
    but it is only a very slight difference and not a show stopper to me.
    enter..the Sandman

any updates from the GAS company...?
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    any updates from the GAS company...?
    The rudder has been remodeled to match the actual aircraft. The Cockpit is about 85% complete and if all goes as planned beta in three weeks, maybe less.

The rudder has been remodeled to match the actual aircraft. The Cockpit is about 85% complete and if all goes as planned beta in three weeks, maybe less.

Outstanding!! Really looking forward to this.

@Spad54
    Paul - you fellers are the best
    enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 2