FSX Steam Edition - Over 200,000 Copies Sold.

Thread: FSX Steam Edition - Over 200,000 Copies Sold.

FSX Steam Edition - Over 200,000 Copies Sold.

According to Dovetail Games: -

http://www.pcpilot.net/view_article.asp?ID=8753&pubID=8&t=0&s=0&sO=both&p =1&i=10#continued

Maybe not such a niche market after all?

Cheers

Paul

Reading this, it's hard to imagine that Microsoft "Gave up" on FSX.
    So far I am happy with FSX and have had no interest in Steam. If they make enough improvements over FSX, I may have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    Reading this, it's hard to imagine that Microsoft "Gave up" on FSX.
    So far I am happy with FSX and have had no interest in Steam. If they make enough improvements over FSX, I may have to think about it.
    My next major step is P3D. Im happy with FSX for now.

200k sold... Not playing though

i bought a copy when it was 5 bucks just because... Don't use it
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    200k sold... Not playing though

i bought a copy when it was 5 bucks just because... Don't use it
    Ditto, I'm sure the majority of those sales were 5 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Yeah me too, but will also look at X10 as I am not for or against any one sim and will choose on what suits me best, when i check flightsim for daily new updates I am seeing more and more xplane stuff appear so it maybe slowly taking traction but for now I am happy with fsx and my A2A C182 which was a big buck item and big bucks to buy again if I go to P3D.
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Guess here is one more of those 5 buck guys that has not done anything with it so far.

Who is that, you wonder???? Well ME of course

My 'Boxed" FSX is still running great, and as they say: "Don't Fix What Ain't Broken!!"
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Wish I had got the $5 deal . Roll on the Easter sale . Damn my cynicism.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Icon12

....... but they cannot get the name of our company right.... should be simple: FSAddon Publishing...... LOLOL !!
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

I have FSX-SE and P3DV2.5, and like them both. The SteM developers are truly interested/active in improving their platform. I still maintain there will be some cool things to come with Steam! NC

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    I used to be happy with FSX, but then I got P3D v2.x. And I saw the difference. The future of FS is called Prepar.

At least L-M got it better than the JSF! ROFLMFAO!!!!

I think the updates are the real issue and headache for developers as far as SE or P3D is concerned. I can't imagine devs being able to "keep up" long term and actually turn a decent profit with 3 versions of the same sim all needing different updates at different times to kick out the same product. Seems like insanity to me from a ROI standpoint. I'm definitely going P3D route no questions asked. As for FSX, I won't uninstall it, but I'm not going to get SE as my legacy FSXA discs are all in perfect shape. From my POV, it seems that LM will be making updates and long term investments into P3D, the kind we've not seen and only heard noise about until now. Considering it will be it's primary sim platform for commercial use, seems like a good wagon to be jumping on to. That's where my time and money will be going as far as support goes. Not that FSXSE is isn't probably a great platform, it must be, with 200K DL's. I just know that my P3Dv2.5 install is flawless right now...it's like ACES got together and fixed everything that was supposed to be fixed and introduced the great new features that would have been FSXI. Once TacPack Premiers later this year, for me, there's no reason to make the switch almost indefinitely.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

FSX has always been a pain to uninstall and reinstall plenty of threads on the subject. The beauty of Steam is that you can uninstall and reinstall as and when you please without issue, verify game files and save settings to the steam cloud, does anyone know if this has been made painless now?

I've recebtly found a few of my games that I can put onto Steam via the original CD key and it's well worth doing as it future proofs the game from disc issues/losing, easy new PC installations and more. And I was thinking about getting it purely to have it uninstalled in my games library, just in case.

I simply brought the Steam FSX as we might call it simply as backup, already heard word, bits and pieces have been update, good thing with my five dollar purchase, the DVD's pack a sad I already have a fix.

I can't get my boxed copy of FSX to install completely so I may end up activating my Steam copy. Registry issues after having to refresh the drive. Moved FSX out of "Program Files (x86)" to the root in the process. Too much at once I guess.

Anyway, good for Steam. At this point I am also one of those who bought and have not installed. To them it will never be more than a front end game by which to sell DLC. Much like Microsoft tried to do with Flight -- control and monetize add-ons. This is something Steam knows how to do and with a whole crop of new users. Microsoft was battling their legions of loyal users who liked things as they were and didn't want the game doled out piecemeal and based on achievements. That model fits Steam perfectly.

The only problem they will face - and this is my personal view - is that they will also need to find new developers...... because the pricing and fee model of Steam will make it impossible to develop new quality titles.... unless they can indeed have us sell 10's of thousands of cheap copies. Most devs are hardly making money on the classic add-ons for FSX and P3D and I bet 90% do it as 'retirement hobby' or have at least some other form of income besides the add-on market.
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

I read somewhere the other day, not sure where as I'm getting towards the end of my 4 week rotation and things blur but the big boss from orbx said that FSX was maxed out from what they can do but there is some stuff on the horizon that he wasn't able to talk about yet using P3D that allowed them to go even further in what they can develope, might have been over at avsim realy not sure.
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Members who have read this thread: 0