Realistic Comm chatter?

Thread: Realistic Comm chatter?

Realistic Comm chatter?

Hi All;

I was watching a YouTube video of an Alabeo Piper PA38 Tomahawk flying in Hungary a few minutes ago and noted that the vid featured what sounded to be some real life general aviation communications and was just wondering if there's anything that recreates some of the sounds, patterns, and ideosyncrasies of real air to ground comm chatter in FSX, perhaps local to New Zealand, the US, and Canada as well?

N.

RadarContact has an option to play static, real-life comm chatter in the background. I'm no fan of it at all.

Other than that, just tune to a kiwi tower on LiveATC.net and have it run in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    . . . . . .Other than that, just tune to a kiwi tower on LiveATC.net and have it run in the background.
    I do the same. . .if I can find an active Comm close to where I'm flying I've got it in the background.

Unfortunately its not possible in the UK, but when flying outside of the home nation I'll just say SNAP. Live ATC website playing in the background for me too, with appropriate tower tuned depending where in FSX land I am flying.

OK, guys, thanks. I'll look into those...

N.

I realised no one posted the link so here you go; http://www.liveatc.net/

cheers,
    Lewis

I wrote a program awhile back that monitors your currently tuned nav channel on both nav 1 and nav 2 from the sim, and then loads up anything you pre-configure: recorded mp3's, playlists, or... liveATC streams.

I'd configure a list of liveATC feeds relevant to the area I was flying in, matching them up to the appropriate ATC feed. If I was flying without ATC, I'd have my program monitor nav 1, but if I wanted to fly with in-sim ATC, then I'd set my program to monitor only nav 2 so that I could quickly mute it to hear in-sim ATC.

Or I'd use it to play internet radio, or albums from my mp3 collection.

Worked well, but I never bothered to release it. I posted about it on a few forums at the time, and no-one seemed interested, so I figured 'oh well, it's neat for me I guess!'.

If there is interest for something like that, I'd be happy to package it up and release it.

edit: My description about feeds didn't fully make sense. It can be configured to have a list of various feeds, mp3's etc, each tied to a specific in-sim frequency. It then monitors the sim, and when you select that frequency, it begins playback of whatever you've got configured. Limited only by the finite amount of tunable frequencies in the sim.
    Jim Stewart

No one interested? Yes please Jimmy
    Anneke

I'd be up for it.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

I'll ask the ubiquitous question here... Jimmy, would your Program also work with FS9?

Sounds like an awesome add on!

Indeed, whack that to a good easy to use GUI and you have quite a neat little program jimmy. Would certainly be interested in seeing it, esp if easy to link up to streams quick before a flight, tuning into correct towers on cross countries would just blow my mind

cheers,
    Lewis

Well now... I guess there is a bit of interest.

I'll put something together in the next few days and post a link to a beta version in this thread. It really needs some sort of a readme or a manual, and I kinda hate writing those.

The GUI is basic windows stuff, nothing super-duper. I wasn't going to bother for fancy when it was just for myself, just functional. If it turns out that people like it and want to see it improved, then perhaps I might implement an idea or two that I had.

ViperPilot, I'm sorry, but it's written from the ground up for SimConnect. It's been a long time since I've had FS9 installed!
    Jim Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis-A2A View Post
    Indeed, whack that to a good easy to use GUI and you have quite a neat little program jimmy. Would certainly be interested in seeing it, esp if easy to link up to streams quick before a flight, tuning into correct towers on cross countries would just blow my mind.
    cheers,
    Lewis
    Same here Lewis, despite it's not being an in-sim ATC, it would be far more realistic to listen to than the default ATC which is sorely lacking. I use liveATC in the background when I'm flying in regions where there is active ATC available. This utility would be a great addition.

Sounds great Jimmy, I look forward to giving it a go. Its great to hear theres so many of us Live ATC/Sim users out there. I too btw got the idea years ago when I saw a youtube video showing a sim with the audio from some real ATC.

cheers,
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyRFR View Post
    Well now... I guess there is a bit of interest.
    yep, register me interested as well

Sounds cool.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

No worries, Jimmy!

Like falcon 409 and the others, I use LiveATC from my Tablet from time to time, turn on a MLB game, or put on a YT video. It's a nice addition on a long flight.

Members who have read this thread: 3