Airport Elevations and FTX Vector

Thread: Airport Elevations and FTX Vector

Airport Elevations and FTX Vector

From time to time I run into elevation problems with the Orbx Global/Vector setup. I fly into mostly smaller private or local airports and sometimes I'll get one that's on a plateau. Most times I can "disable" that elevation change and it goes back to normal but I flew into Albuquerque this morning and that was also on a very high plateau (kinda dampens the immersion factor a bit, lol). So I disabled the elevation change in Vector and went back to that airport. . .now the ground has dropped out from under it several miles and there are peaks jutting up all over the place around the airport. I guess the 100' high plateau wasn't bad after all.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    From time to time I run into elevation problems with the Orbx Global/Vector setup. I fly into mostly smaller private or local airports and sometimes I'll get one that's on a plateau. Most times I can "disable" that elevation change and it goes back to normal but I flew into Albuquerque this morning and that was also on a very high plateau (kinda dampens the immersion factor a bit, lol). So I disabled the elevation change in Vector and went back to that airport. . .now the ground has dropped out from under it several miles and there are peaks jutting up all over the place around the airport. I guess the 100' high plateau wasn't bad after all.
    I have complained about this on the orbx/fullterrain.com boards before (including now.) It would be nice if you could adjust airport elevations manually through the tool. There are many airports not in their database for the vector AEC tool and no way to update it. I love the realair spitfire and would like to use their West Malling airport scenery. However, it sits in a trough because of these issues.

Truth be told though I am not sure whats caused by Orbx vs the Pilot Mesh I use. I just wish I could make height adjustments manually through the tool.

I am not at home right now, but if I recall correctly there is an option in the FTX Central where you can enable or disable the elevation correction for FTX Vector.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

For me some of these issue of airport elevation appeared right after FTX Vector came on board. With the upgrades we now have FTX Vector Configurator. You can add or remove different airfields from FTX Vector using this tool. If you don't see your airfield in the configurator you can test if Vector is causing your problem by disabling Vector AEC in the Scenery library. If there is no change in the problem the elevation difficulties are not caused by Vector. One can adjust the elevation with Airport Design Editor.

On the FTX/Orbx site you will find instructions on how to uncheck Vector AEC in the Scenery Library. I find Vector a great addition the both FSX and P3d. Hope this helps.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

lol, guys, just a reminder (for those who mention the AEC Tool for "Vector"), I did mention in my initial post that I did disable it and it got worse. So I had a choice of sitting 100' up on a plateau (enabled) or having the ground sink to a mile into the ground with huge peaks all over the place (disabled). Not much of a choice.

Ed, I saw that you disabled the airfield using the configurator but did you also uncheck Vector AEC in the library? If FTX Vector is causing the problem disabling FTX Vector AEC should return the elevation of all default airfields to their original levels. This is just a way of getting to the root of the problem. I am making some photo real scenery of Nellis AFB in Nevada with a similar but not as noticeable problem with elevation. Just trying to help. So far I have not solved my problems with my project elevation either. Working with polygon vectors with different elevations to try to smooth the rough edges.

For those wanting to disable Vector AEC you will need to go into your scenery.cfg file and find the entry for FTX Vector AEC and change required=True to required=False.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Members who have read this thread: 0