2015 Daytona 500

Thread: 2015 Daytona 500

Lightbulb 2015 Daytona 500

Seems fitting to have Gordon take Pole Position....
    http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...-season-021515

Watched qualifying on the TV today. It's cool that Jeff G is on the poll. Agree - fitting. Boyer and a couple others we not as impressed with the qualifying format as Jeff was... It's hard not to sympathize with Boyer in this case. Apparently other racing series out there have been doing this type of qualifying for years. Fine. It still seems a bit of "artificial drama" for NASCAR to adopt it. Sort of like the Chase itself, and the new "Elimination Chase". Why does NASCAR have to be like all the other forms of motor sports? Felt bad for Boyer, anyway, and can see his point.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Hey All,

That qualifying was absolutely insane. Go park for awhile - even back up - just don't be the first car out. Crazy - I don't know what to think. I get it - where you are in line is critical so that you can drive through a hole in the air rather than make it. Anyway good pole for Jeff and Jimmie right beside him.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

The qualifying system for this year's Duel races was absolutely stupid. Of all the idiotic things I've seen Brian France and his NASCAR come up with, this one takes the trophy. Clint Boyer is right. Teams work for months to build cars just for the Daytona 500. They should come to Daytona, offload, run 4 laps and the average speed of the 4 laps determines your place in the Duels. All that elimination racing did yesterday was eliminate some good cars and a lot of money.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    The qualifying system for this year's Duel races was absolutely stupid. Of all the idiotic things I've seen Brian France and his NASCAR come up with, this one takes the trophy. Clint Boyer is right. Teams work for months to build cars just for the Daytona 500. They should come to Daytona, offload, run 4 laps and the average speed of the 4 laps determines your place in the Duels. All that elimination racing did yesterday was eliminate some good cars and a lot of money.
    Agreed. Qualifying is supposed to line the cars up from fastest to slowest, not luckiest to unluckiest.

Lightbulb

Great win by Joey!
    Penske/Ford showed just how far out to lunch that Roush is....

Biffle finished 10th, seems they found some speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Great win by Joey!
    Penske/Ford showed just how far out to lunch that Roush is....
    The difference between Penske and Roush cars is amazing.

The actual race was really, really good, best Daytona 500 I've seen in a while. Lots of side-by-side and three-car-wide racing all day long. I hope Brian France does not introduce any new rules to change the cars for the super speedways.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Icon5

So are the cars too fast?

I doubt most people would know the difference if they ran 175 mph. The question is how that is achieved without ruining the competition.

I don't think so. Daytona and Talladega are the two tracks where you expect the cars to do 200 mph. Would the racing be the same at 175 mph? Probably, but the race would also take more time. With the way the rules are now, the super speedways will be a test of the driver's skills at high speeds. I'm sure Brian France will make some changes as the 500 was such a good race, but there was not the 25-car pile up that some people just have to have.

pay attention to the speeds at Autoclub,Vegas and texas..theres another one as well...all can produce 200+ mph.

Members who have read this thread: 0