Forrestal Class Carrier
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forrestal Class Carrier

Forrestal Class Carrier

Spotted this over at one of the SOH sister forums. Looks pretty good! I wonder if with the right credits to the original modeler (who cannot be reached it seems despite best efforts) this could be uploaded?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Class-carriers!

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Give credit in the readme file and that's it. If the original author rings your doorbell wielding a baseball bat, you can still work out a deal.

Wish it was the Forrestal. My late father is a plank owner of the Forrestal.

This is a project I have been working on for some time now. I actually remodeled the hull and a lot of the island to resemble the CV-62. I am going to use the updated hull as a base to make all of the Forrestal class carriers.

Thanks for the interest.

Here is a progress shot from the other night.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Independence1.jpg  

I am going to use the updated hull as a base to make all of the Forrestal class carriers.
    I can't tell you how great it is to hear those words! Looks good and looking forward to it. As you say, this is a big gap that has been in need of filling for a long time.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

The FID

USS Forrestal near Mayport - former homeport * This works with AI Carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    USS Forrestal near Mayport - former homeport * This works with AI Carriers.

That is a Nimitz Class carrier. Forrestal Class carriers has their port elevator at the front of the landing deck. A poor design, but definitely something that needs to be different to have a Forrestal Class.

Quote Originally Posted by WombRaider78 View Post
    That is a Nimitz Class carrier. Forrestal Class carriers has their port elevator at the front of the landing deck. A poor design, but definitely something that needs to be different to have a Forrestal Class.

Yeah, I though the island and a few other areas looked a bit wierd too. Thanks for the catch.

Just an update

The models are all done. I went with the circa 1965 era for all of the ships. There are not any CIWS or missile systems. I added the rear gun sponsons with 5 inch guns, but did not add the as-built forward ones. There is a hangar bay now as well.

List of items left:
    1.Attachpoints (Cables/Cats and Runway area)
    2.Harden the deck
    3.Export to .MDL
    4.Testing/tweaking
    5.Assemble a package for download.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CV-60.jpg   CV-59.jpg   CV-61.jpg   CV-62.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Spotted this over at one of the SOH sister forums. Looks pretty good! I wonder if with the right credits to the original modeler (who cannot be reached it seems despite best efforts) this could be uploaded?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Class-carriers!

One of my former residences...the "Sucking Sixty from Dixie". Good and bad memories.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    One of my former residences...the "Sucking Sixty from Dixie". Good and bad memories.

She is being broken up in Brownsville, Texas.

The models are all done. I went with the circa 1965 era for all of the ships.
    Awesome news, and that you are doing the whole class in this time period!

I'd rather be there at this moment. Very cold where I am. I'm looking forward to a few simulated cats / traps on the Sara. Glad I won't be living in the simulated "JO" bunk room below cat 2. Man your battle stations and hope the chains don't snap!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Got the models exported!

I exported all 4 models to FSX. Now I need to add attach points. I wanted to more, but my turd of a Honda decided to take a lot more of my time.

Here are some pics of all 4 ships in FSX.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ForrestalClass1.jpg   ForrestalClass2.jpg   ForrestalClass3.jpg   ForrestalClass4.jpg  

As a former ships company Sailor on the Sara it broke my heart when I found out she was going to be scrapped. When the news broke my wife asked why I was crying, and I am not ashamed to admit that I cried over her, I told her that my ship was being cut up in Texas. Instead of making fun she told me that she was sorry that it was going to happen. At least I can have her in FSX as well as my memories.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Uploaded!

I finished the ships today, and they are now ready to be downloaded.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=114&id=19489

WHOO HOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a million for these!

Island change

I was able to edit the color of the island dds file to match the haze gray of the hull.

Now the Numbers need to be changed to a white color like on the pointy end of the boat, some how.....

The numbers must be in the mdl. I looked at the dds files and saw no numbers.......

Blog Entries
    Looks great - many, many kind thanks.

I have to admit, I far prefer the island colour matching the way GE has done - hope that can be incorporated somehow/sometime.

Can't wait to try tonight.

thanks again,

dl

Can't find the d/l here or in the link in this thread?

The link is in WombRaiders 'finished' post

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I was able to edit the color of the island dds file to match the haze gray of the hull.

Now the Numbers need to be changed to a white color like on the pointy end of the boat, some how.....

The numbers must be in the mdl. I looked at the dds files and saw no numbers.......

Edit: I fixed the island so that the number are in white.

See thread here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tal-island-fix

Updated original file

I fixed the island to all grey and edited my original post in the download library. There is a backup file called island.dds.bak in each texture folder that you can rename to island.dds to get the black color back.

Thanks Gray Eagle.

I fixed the island to all grey and edited my original post in the download library. There is a backup file called island.dds.bak in each texture folder that you can rename to island.dds to get the black color back.

Thanks Gray Eagle.
    Excellent! Now would you be interested in the mods I started on SARATOGA? It is not usable yet, but it includes CWIS, a SLQ-32 on Starboard side of the island and a few other small mods.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USS SARATOGA ship Alts.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by simulloyd View Post
    Excellent! Now would you be interested in the mods I started on SARATOGA? It is not usable yet, but it includes CWIS, a SLQ-32 on Starboard side of the island and a few other small mods.

Looking good. Perhaps we can team up and make a 1980s-1990s edition of the ships. I made the hulls unique. I just did not renumber the same hull. There are a TON of geometry and 3d issues with William T's model that I had to fix before it would look good.

Members who have read this thread: 6