Can a Mallard float?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a Mallard float?

Icon5 Can a Mallard float?

Has anyone come up with a set of contact points that will allow Gary Davis' FS2002 Grumman G-73 Mallard to float on water in FS9?

It seems that it should be a matter of contact points but I fiddled in vain trying to add float points. But I'm strictly a dilettante when it comes to contact points, so I hope someone who knows more than me has worked it out.

SOH-CM-2023
    Try turning crash off & see if that helps.
    Keith

No, don't think that will help - see below. Would die for a new Mallard for FSX.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...wl-won-t-float
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Does anybody know a site where I can download Gary Davies' Mallard?

Thanks,

hertzie

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    Try turning crash off & see if that helps.
    Keith

That won't change anything. It doesn't crash, it just sinks.

I thought a set of float points in the Contact Points section would make it float, but I couldn't make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by hertzie View Post

Thanks,

hertzie
    My copy came from Avsim. Alas, it's no longer there. An update is there, but not the original plane. It must have been lost in the Great Avsim Hack a few years ago. The update includes a new model with reflections enabled, one skin and the flight files, but no sounds or panels. Methinks that a Goose or Albatross panel and sounds would be acceptable substitutes.

The update for reflectivity is curious, as neither the original skin nor the one included with the update requires a reflective model. Anyway, grab it for the 3D model and the flight model, as well as the skin.

Then you could go to the Cal Classics site and download AI Aircraft File 7, which includes the Mallard as an AI plane, with several more paints for it. (Still no panel or sounds, an apparently simplified 3D model, and an AI-optimized flight model, but worth grabbing for the paints, which I don't think are available anywhere else.)

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    No, don't think that will help - see below. Would die for a new Mallard for FSX.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...wl-won-t-float
    Ah ha! I started that thread with the same question four years ago, before my hiatus from the hobby. I'd forgotten that I'd asked the question way back then, and that the answer was that it can't be done.

I guess the Mallard will have to remain a landplane.

What brought it to my attention again is that I'd setting up my FS9 installations and when I downloaded the latest Cal Classics AI packages, I saw that the Mallard is included.

Thanks for jogging my memory.

I have never left the hobby but more than once embarrass myself googling a flightsim problem solution, finding someone asked the EXACT question a few years back, only then to see it was ME as the OP on the SOH boards!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by hertzie View Post

Thanks,

hertzie
    The Mallard can be found at http://www.tradewind.org/oldhangar/seabirds.html

Andre
    www.arpaints.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    The update for reflectivity is curious, as neither the original skin nor the one included with the update requires a reflective model.
    If I remember right, FS2002 models didn't have Dynamic Shine, which is part of the model and not dependent on the alpha reflections in the paint. I suspect that's what was updated here.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks André!

I have an FS2002 Mallard by Rey Lopez and Gunther Kirschstein and though it crashed at the beginning I now have it full amphibian by replacinging most of the data of the aircraft.cfg with data of a Goose. But it has no VC.

hertzie

Ah ha! I started that thread with the same question four years ago, before my hiatus from the hobby. I'd forgotten that I'd asked the question way back then, and that the answer was that it can't be done.

I guess the Mallard will have to remain a landplane.

What brought it to my attention again is that I'd setting up my FS9 installations and when I downloaded the latest Cal Classics AI packages, I saw that the Mallard is included.

Thanks for jogging my memory.
    If it can set on land, it can set on water. Send it to me and I will fix it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Thanks Milton!

I'll send it to you as soon as you reply to my PM and tell me where to send it. I've already made up a condensed, e-mail friendly version with no sound set and just one skin, zipped up and ready to send.

I'm already glad that I forgot I'd posted the question back then.

Thanks Milton!

I'll send it to you as soon as you reply to my PM and tell me where to send it. I've already made up a condensed, e-mail friendly version with no sound set and just one skin, zipped up and ready to send.

I'm already glad that I forgot I'd posted the question back then.
    Thanks; replied :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    If it can set on land, it can set on water. Send it to me and I will fix it.
    Well, I got it to set above the water, just not "in" the water.

The issue with this model is that the FS reference point (also know as the "water line", and may be at the CoG) is at the bottom of the hull/fuselage.

Anytime in FS if your plane/boat or any craft goes beneath the water line, you get an unavoidable FS crash.

So, folks, if you are going to build a boat or aircraft that floats, be sure you set the model in gmax or other tool so that the reference point is at the appropriate level, near the CoG or specified waterline on the aircraft.

So, for this model, she will sit above the water, but not "in" the water.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Well, I got it to set above the water, just not "in" the water.

The issue with this model is that the FS reference point (also know as the "water line", and may be at the CoG) is at the bottom of the hull/fuselage.

Anytime in FS if your plane/boat or any craft goes beneath the water line, you get an unavoidable FS crash.

So, folks, if you are going to build a boat or aircraft that floats, be sure you set the model in gmax or other tool so that the reference point is at the appropriate level, near the CoG or specified waterline on the aircraft.

So, for this model, she will sit above the water, but not "in" the water.
    Oh, how very annoying!

So it really can't be made to float properly in FS9.

Thanks for your efforts Milton! I really appreciate it.

Mick

It is a real shame. As a long time FSX-er, to me it is still a very good looking model. I was able to get it to work as an AI plane, runway landings only. It is the only Grumman amphib missing from FS (and the only one Jimmy Buffett has never owned!). A very elegant design. Bill Lyons started a Turbine G-73 that looked amazing in screenshots posted years ago but he sadly never released it before retiring from flight simming.

The reference point possibly can be moved into the proper position with ACM. (Aircraft Container Manager). I have ACM and have been able to shift FS reference points to their proper places which then balanced things properly.

I think it can be done with the Mallard too by shifting the reference point to the correct waterline level with ACM. It might be worth a try to see if this can work.
    Mark

Oh, how very annoying!

So it really can't be made to float properly in FS9.

Thanks for your efforts Milton! I really appreciate it.

Mick
    Mick, if someone knows how to change the FS ref point in the model file, we can probably make it work. I just do not know how to do that.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    The reference point possibly can be moved into the proper position with ACM. (Aircraft Container Manager). I have ACM and have been able to shift FS reference points to their proper places which then balanced things properly.

I think it can be done with the Mallard too by shifting the reference point to the correct waterline level with ACM. It might be worth a try to see if this can work.
    Try! Try!

I hope you can do it!

I know I'm not the only one who will be rooting for you!

Maybe these lines would help.

I found these lines under Weight and Balance but I have been unable to float on water.

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    //reference_datum_position = 0.0, 0, 0 // (feet) distance from FlightSim Reference position: (1/4 chord, centerline, waterline)
    //empty_weight_CG_position = 0.0, 0, 0 // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from specified datum
    //--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you can adjust the reference with this.

Icon9

Suprising as it is, when the installer for the Mallard package is running, the background picture shows the Mallard 'skimming' along the water surface, making bow waves, yet the hull and floats are not in contact with the surface!!

Not wishing to be a party pooper, but I was thinking of ripping it, re-doing a few things including the reference point, but read the README and....'ALTERATIONS: You may alter any file that is part of this package for your own exclusive use but you can not make it available to any 3rd party without my permission in writing. I reserve the right to check the files and documentation and limit distribution of altered files as I see fit.'

Unfortunately the email address and site are dead and Gary Davies is not about..unless you know otherwise??

Funny as someone posted a request to contact Gary back in 2002, and no reply then.....prob the same issue!?

Soooooo.....

Shessi

Soooooo.....
    I think you should just go ahead and do it and make it available for download. Worst that can happen is Gary Davies suddenly comes out of the woodwork and demands you take down the modified Mallard, in which case you explain your good intentions, apologize for making the improvements to the plane and take it down. It's not like you're modifying a payware product or a recent freeware plane from an active designer, the plane is from FS2002. Just my two cents, Shessi.

I tend to agree. It started out as freeware and now it's abandonware. After much thought, I've decided that in my humble opinion, abandonware is up for grabs.

I'm just opining on that, but I know for sure that if I ever get so completely out of this hobby that I can't even be contacted, (not to mention if I should wind up dad) I wouldn't care what anyone did with my old freeware releases (of which there are many.)

The only time I got really annoyed at someone messing with one of my releases was when he didn't bother to try to contact me (he said he didn't try because he didn't know if the contact information in my ReadMe file was still good; I guess it never occurred to him to try it and find out. Then he released it on a site that I specifically stated in the ReadMe that none of my work must ever be uploaded to. I guess it was in response to that bit that he simply removed my name from the credits.

But I digress. Anyway, I think it's reasonable to treat the Mallard as abandonware.

Also, sharing between folks on a semi-private site like this isn't exactly like publishing to the world on a big download site like AvSim or FlightSim. And should that still be a bit much, it would be even more private to simply post the modified MDL file as an attachment to a post in this forum thread. Even less public, it might be shared among those involved in the thread via e-mail.

As has been mentioned, it's not like we'd be ripping off a payware publisher, or even messing around with someone's stuff who's still in the hobby.

As for it floating in the screen shot, remember that the plane is an FS2002 model and the screenie was taken in FS2002, where the Mallard does float. Water in FS2002 is completely different from water in FS9.

...treat the Mallard as abandonware
    Abandonware is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no product support is available. Although such software is usually still under copyright, the owner may not be tracking or enforcing copyright violations.
    Just because the owner may not be tracking or enforcing copyright does not mean it ceases to exist.

cheers,
    Lane

Members who have read this thread: 0