a2a Spitfire paintkit help

Thread: a2a Spitfire paintkit help

a2a Spitfire paintkit help

Hello,

The painting of Spitfires used by the 2 Norwegian squadrons during w.w.2 have turned out to be a major project and a very interesting undertaking. I have a rather large collection of IXc's paint for the Realair Spitfire and I'm looking into turning my attention to the II and Va/Vb. The A2A Spitfire II could be good model for both. Before I commit I need to master the a2a spitfire paintkit. Sadly it has been a no go so far. My problem is that the paintkit is in PSD format. I'm from the paintshop side of painting and have no experience or skills using photoshop. Most PSD files open without problems in PSP, but not the Spitfire paintkit. I have downloaded the trailversion of PSD, but I cannot save the file as any other format. And my skills are lacking for doing anything meaningful in PSD with the paintkit.

My question to the SOH crowd; Is there any way of getting the Spitfire paintkit saved in a format which I can use in PSP? Any help is much appreciated!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

My wife just called me for diner, but after dinner I will send you the layered files is a format, which even I can open......

Cheers,
    Huub

Thank you so much!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I use GIMP for repaints so i started to look this up in Bing

This help any? What they say works doesn't always i know.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5883339_conv...age-corel.html

Thanks for helping, the problem is that I don't have the pspimage format option in the latest photoshop. When I open up the psd file in psp, all the layers open up as separate files and crash psp....

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Would the MW Graphics DXTBmp program be any use, or am I revealing yet another alpha layered level to my ignorance?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

DXTbmp is just for saving the bmp textures with alpha layer in FS format (if I have not totally misunderstood), my problem is to open the paint kit file which is in psd format in paintshop pro for painting.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Blog Entries
    DXT BMP can also open them up.....
    I have used it a couple of times to open stubborn files.....Just open and save as BMP.......Once your work is done, simply save as DDS, from your paint program....
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

But then I assume you get a single layer bmp file and not the layered paint kit file? I want the paint kit file with layers for further painting.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I had a similar problem (I'm a PSP user also). My problem turned out to be that (JASC) PSP 9 would not open PSD files that had been saved using GROUPED LAYERS. PSP could not read the grouped layers and would return an unrecognized format error. Tried lots of suggestions to get the files to translate but noting worked. Gimp could open the files but once the layers were ungrouped the saved PSD from Gimp still would not be recognized by PSP as a valid file type!

Ultimately I upgraded from JASC PSP 9 to Corel PSP 6X (64). It eliminated lots of little bugs to do with 64 bit processing and it would open the GROUPED PSD files...HOWEVER, it will not save them as grouped. If you open the grouped layered PSD files, did some work and closed/saved them without eliminating the groups, it would merge the grouped layers into one layer and it was not reversible!

So, with new PSD files I first check for grouped layers. If grouped layers are present then I ungroup them (fairly simple) and then save the PSD. All is well after that. If there are no grouped layers it is business as usual.

BTW, I picked up the new Corel PSP 6X from Amazon for $29.00 USD. It may be less by now.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

With repaint kits these days I had to learn Adobe Photoshop and in my honest opinion it's the only way to go. I used to be a Corel user but now I only make vector grapics of sqn markings in Corel Draw.
    For the future Jens-Ole, learn Photoshop and download the NVIDIA DDS plugins for it and get rid of all the old stuff. There are so many cool layer effects in Photoshop, for instance. Just an advice.

Best regards
    Dag

Members who have read this thread: 2