Christmas Flight

Thread: Christmas Flight

Christmas Flight

Hey folks,

Last year I imported an old SimHQ tradition of a Christmas flight to SOH.

The rules are simple:

1. Plane of your choice.

2. From the airfield nearest your home.

3. To the northernmost airfield available to you.

4. And back by Christmas,

As before, if you don't celebrate Christmas, then any other flight of significance to you. Disaster relief. Visit Mecca. Trip to Jerusalem. Angkor Wat. Tibet. All good. It's all for fun and if someone decides to bring Egg Nog to Pango Pango, it would be a nice change from all the snow us north bound pilots are likely to see.

Last year we didn't have any takers, but I hope at least a few people decide to make the trek. It was a fun diversion and always interesting!

Hope to see you there!

Deacon

Edit: Here's the link to last year's flight...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ight=christmas

I'm in. Will this be online, or single player?

I'll fly from KLTS to Greenland & back via C-17 or KC-46.

Jeff
    I pass gas!

This is a fun idea. Seems like some sort of cargo type would be appropriate... Have to take a walk through the hangar at KSUS and see what's not due for a 40 hr inspection, and has most of the big pieces still attached...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Flight from Altus AFB toKangerlussuaq Airport, Greenland. Beginning the return trip shortly.

Merry Christmas!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OWNER-PC-2014-dec-24-014.jpg   OWNER-PC-2014-dec-24-013.jpg   OWNER-PC-2014-dec-24-011.jpg   OWNER-PC-2014-dec-24-007.jpg   OWNER-PC-2014-dec-24-002.jpg  
    I pass gas!

Nice Storm!

I had some FSX problems this time around...lot's of crashes to desktop. I'm wondering a bit if the combination of ASN and the CaptainSim 707 was just too much for my computer.

I eventually threw in the towel over Hudson Bay. But it was worth a try and I'll try again next year.

Merry Christmas everyone and please feel free to post your shots if you decided to try this little adventure!

First attempt Sunday afternoon

Started off OK until my first crash to desktop over the Great Lakes

Attempt two, Christmas Eve Morning...off at the crack of dawn!

My last screenie before the final crash of ten or so.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-12-24_8-12-32-321.jpg   2014-12-24_5-50-1-948.jpg   2014-12-21_17-11-26-9.jpg   2014-12-21_16-54-17-918.jpg  

Christmas Flight !

The only aircraft I had in my hangar suitable for such a flight was a Canadair CRJ-200. All others are low-slow prop jobs. Even then I had to plan on a fuel stop.
    Home airport is KLKU. Not long enough runway for a CRJ. So on 12/24 at 0610 (1110Z) I hopped in my Tri-Pacer and flew over to KCHO and pulled my CRJ out of the hangar (it was still painted in Air Canada colors. I had just gotten it from them while they were up grading their fleet.)
    Full fuel, no passengers, just me and two others and a pallet of Christmas gifts and other goodies for the troops stationed at CFB Alert (CYLT - further north than Thule).
    We lifted off KCHO at 0701, headed north.
    Over the finger lakes of New York at FL340

Four hours or so later we descended to our refueling stop at Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada (getting close to calling "bingo" on fuel).
    NOTE: I cheated and set the weather and winds aloft to give me a fairly good 'tailwind'.

After refueling and a 'potty' break, we headed for Alert (logging some night hours in the middle of the day!).
    Another NOTE: It got DARK. The remaining pix are dark. - On to post #2 >
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot819 NY.jpg   screenshot819.jpg   screenshot820 CYFB.jpg   screenshot821 CYFB.jpg   screenshot824 CYLT.jpg   screenshot822 CYFB.jpg  

screenshot825 Alert fuel.jpg   screenshot829 USA.jpg   screenshot830 KCHO.jpg  

On final into CFB Alert.

Refueled, unloaded Christmas pallet, and wished the troops Merry Christmas.

Darn it's dark and cold up there! We were advised to some traffic they had been monitoring to the north and west; something about sleighs and reindeer in the vicinity.
    After a short time on the ground we lifted off headed to La Grande Riviere (CYGL) for our third refueling.
    Still headed south (and still in the dark) we crossed Lake Ontario and passed over Rochester, NY.

At 2313 (0413Z) we touched down back at KCHO. Never did see the reindeer !

I hope the troops at CFB Alert and all the troops away from home, no matter what country they serve, had a happy holiday.
    Merry Christmas !

(hope my wife doesn't see the credit card bill for the fuel !)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot830 KCHO.jpg  

Nice one. I recall from last year that Thule got very dark indeed!!!

Members who have read this thread: 2