New version of Bookmark SAAB 35 Draken released - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New version of Bookmark SAAB 35 Draken released

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Here's a simple import from version 3.2 for FS9 that contained the Austrian model and paints. All I've done is file-name changes and a new roundel on 'fsx_detail.dds'. But the whole thing needs re-doing to get a good clean exterior. Sadly the Austrian model does not port well and needs to be converted to FSX. Any volunteers???

DaveQ
    Beautiful shot!!! Unfortunately I know Nothing about modelling and painting
    The more you do, the less you dream

Download completed at last!

I'm expiring an CTD when trying to change the aircraft in P3D 3.1, any ideas for a fix?

I have started on remaking the textures, but it is a major undertaking since the original textures are so low res and have very little details (except for some decals which are attached to the front fuselage and intakes. Looked up the old FS9 Alphasim Draken and texture wise it is far more advanced. Don't get me wrong, it is a great model, but a lot of work to bring the textures up to standards.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by menef View Post
    But now the Bookmark website is working...
    https://simulations.bookmark.se/
    And.....possibly not again.
    IIRC from when he had his forums up and running, Thomas had a bandwidth limit to the site,
    to prevent drive by downloading, and sites like fsplanet /fsdome hotlinking his files

Once the site and server load reduces it comes back on.

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    I'm expiring an CTD when trying to change the aircraft in P3D 3.1, any ideas for a fix?

I have started on remaking the textures, but it is a major undertaking since the original textures are so low res and have very little details (except for some decals which are attached to the front fuselage and intakes. Looked up the old FS9 Alphasim Draken and texture wise it is far more advanced. Don't get me wrong, it is a great model, but a lot of work to bring the textures up to standards.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    And.....possibly not again.
    IIRC from when he had his forums up and running, Thomas had a bandwidth limit to the site,
    to prevent drive by downloading, and sites like fsplanet /fsdome hotlinking his files

Once the site and server load reduces it comes back on.

Ttfn

Pete
    Good to know!

Some progress shots of making a new HD textures together with Dave (he has done most of the stencils). Most if not all details are reworked and the camouflage scheme has been completely redrawn to match the real scheme.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    This really is a big improvement over the already beautiful original, JensOle. Will you also turn your attention to the cockpit textures or do you confine yourself to the outside?

It'd be good if Tom could be persuaded to TacPack this one.

I've been trying to get him to do a Viggen for years.....

Dave

Well done JensOle! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    It'd be good if Tom could be persuaded to TacPack this one.

I've been trying to get him to do a Viggen for years.....

Dave
    Actually the Viggen is a big and beautiful beast missing from our FSX, I fully agree with you !!!

Meanwhile back in Austria......

Still work to do on the stencils but otherwise looks OK. Very many thanks go to JensOLe for translating stencils and to Henk Schuitemaker (hschuit) who has done us new models and spec files for this beautiful old girl (reminds me of the wife....!). We will publish when complete and with permissions.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Looks great guys, thanks for all the efforts you are putting in this special model.

Cheers,
    Huub

Great works. I've noticed that Austrian and Swedish Draken in gray scheme are very polished, like these :

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35556-sweden-air-force-historic-flight-saab-j-35j-draken_PlanespottersNet_285804.jpg   11549128.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by menef View Post
    Great works. I've noticed that Austrian and Swedish Draken in gray scheme are very polished, like these :
    The images are from a special jet, the Swedish Historic Flight J35J Draken serial 35556 when it was displayed at airshows. Drakens in operational use were not polished like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    The images are from a special jet, the Swedish Historic Flight J35J Draken serial 35556 when it was displayed at airshows. Drakens in operational use were not polished like this one.
    Ok, I didn't know it...

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Even the Ostarrichi Draken were not polished

( 1996 celebration of 1000 years Austria )

Roland

It would be sort of dumb to have an aircraft which had got a new grey low vis air superiority scheme to be polished as it would reflect light much better. But for a warbird I suspect it would be a lot easier to keep clean.

A question for the crowd about the J35F:
    If I understand correctly so was the intake pylon stations not standard on the F-series, but was retrofitted as part of the J-update program. The forward pylon also start to show up on Finish 35S and J35FS models at around the same time. Does this mean the pylon actually was a feature build into the F, but not used in service before on the J?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Great work guys. There are some excellent screenies and photos here.

Cheers,

[QUOTE=JensOle;1006473]It would be sort of dumb to have an aircraft which had got a new grey low vis air superiority scheme to be polished as it would reflect light much better. But for a warbird I suspect it would be a lot easier to keep clean.

This is obvious, the fact is that many years ago I saw a real Austrian Draken at Ghedi AB (Italy) and I remember very well the semigloss skin, it was an operational bird not polished for an airshow.
    IMHO line-aircraft were both matt and semigloss. ( except airshow-prepared Aircraft). Anyway thank you for the work you are doing !!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails saab_j-35a_35067_090_of_105.jpg   draken_srkdla.jpg  

This will be well worth waiting for.

Dave

Menef, most if not all metal have a certain level of shine when viewed in the correct angle with the light source, even when painted in matt paint. I don't know the Austrian Drakens enough to say, but generally I don't think many operational fighter aircraft have a semi gloss paint.

Finnish J35FS Drakens

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Even if someone managed to apply a 'true' matt paint to a plane it wouldn't take too much airtime before it was no longer matt.
    Airflow and weather would see to that soon enough...

It's nice to see some Danish paints on the Draken.
    People tend to overlook them.

Dave

Members who have read this thread: 2