FSX: The 1940 Fokker T.5 bomber released - Page 4
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: FSX: The 1940 Fokker T.5 bomber released

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Looks great Daan, but I don't think the bulkheads were visible behind the second cockpit? From drawings it seems there's a cover with a gun slot above an open space between the radios and the second cockpit.

http://i.imgur.com/lFt3QVI.jpg

BTW Do you know what the contraption below the nose is in this drawing?
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Thanks Ferry!

It's a good drawing, from a good resource. Herman Somberg was a factory artist for Fokker in the '30s. The drawing is not accurate at some points though. The contraption is, I believe, a measurement instrument's frame for the prototype, not present on the production models.

About the gun cover: thanks! You might have seen my request at NLV, it was also for information on this point. I have the drawing, but I totally missed it to use it for the rear gunner's station. I believe a same kind of cover was used on the C.X... There are AFAIK no photographs of the T.5 that show this place from above, sadly. So I think I'll adopt the drawing.
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Daan,

That Eindhoven is from NL2000? The stock airport must be completely gone as far as I know.

Cees

Finally I have been able to assemble the truss structure in the rear fuselage section. I want to thank my Dutch friend Mathieu for this.

Looks really good, but when I look at this tube construction, I have the feeling it doesn't match with the way the fabric looked at the aft part of the fuselage .
    Was there a sub-frame to the horizontal lines in the fabric?

A puzzled Huub

Good observation Huub! In fact, the truss I'm showing here, is the complete structural rear section. Around this truss, oval former ribs were mounted to create the oval fuselage shape. And stringers of course.

Ah that explains things!

Huub

I keep going, at the moment with texturing. I unwrapped most parts of the exterior before. The first result of texturing is seen here. I've taken pieces from the D.21, easy as it is.

This is the nacelle (partly) with main landing gear assembly.

Detail of the wheel. With respect to the D.21, I improved the threading as well as the transition between threading and tyre wall. Looks awful on the D.21.

View to the front, main landing gear leg. As you might observe, I already made an AO pass.

This is looking so good!

Cees

The tire is looking great Daan! Don't forget to make the wheel and under carriage dark brown. (I always wonder what the Dutch Military Aviation Section tried to achieve with aircraft with dark brown under surfaces.)

Cheers,
    Huub

This is soooo sweet!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Thanks guys! Yes Huub, it jumped into my mind this morning. I wonder whether the gear bay was painted grey or brown. Grey, I assume.

It is told in the D.21 manual that the walking zones on the wing were marked with a black border. Never confirmed by a photograph though...

Daan, I can't recall any pictures from the wheel bay of a T-V. However there is a picture from a brand new bay of a G-1 which was painted grey, including the inside of the doors. However when you look at pictures of operational G-1s and T-Vs It seems the inside of the doors were painted in a dark colour (it can also be dirt/oil). Based on the edges of the doors from bomb bay I assume these where painted grey.

Cheers,
    Huub

Yes, same flow I was thinking in. Thanks for this photograph Huub, I see some nice things, new things (oh noooo!), like:

- The gear cylinder cover is missing here (good for me, since I won't be able to animate the thing yet)
    - The chin of the plane. This is the first photo showing the chin. Not good for me unfortunately, I should change some things here (and redo the mapping, nooo!)
    - Wheel rim looks dark. Hmmm, I have a grey one now. I like that more because, well, because it's nicer

Have a look at the tailwheel, it's rotated 90 deg...

Outstanding photograph!

Looking extremely nice Daan!
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

Hi all,

The exterior is painted with the LVA base color: camo brown. I also made an AO pass, looks good. Next step is to finish panellines on metal parts.

I totally forgot about the color of the landing gear. I earlier showed you grey, but it should be brown. The rim was also dark according to images, but I like this texturing here...

I've a few questions about the panellines/rivetlines here. Is it true that the red-marked lines are panellines or are they rivet lines? And the blue dotted outline, is it a rivet- or panelline? I think a rivetline...
    I also don't believe my assumption on the red circled area...

So, if there's any advice...

Hi Daan,

Too difficult to answer your question in English, but logical thinking brought me to the conclusion that the red lines as rivets and not panel lines. I will e-mail you some pictures which show the nose section had a pattern of hardly visible rivets, most likely to attach profiles at the back of these panels to give them sufficient structural strength. The blue line is definitely one of the rivet lines.

Cheers,
    Huub

Finished the riveting, what a job :P

Also, started fabric shading. Big job due to the curved lines. The D.21 had only a few fabric 'panels', in a straight direction, but the T.5 has around 30, all curved...

Daan, that's looking fantastic!

Cees

OMG. I LOVE IT!
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

Blog Entries
    The work of a true MASTER Daan.......
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

Finished basic effect texturing and camo schemes. The Dutch LVA regi of this T.5 will be 856. I've only 3 photographs of 856... And a basic layout for 850-857... Modelling and painting the old Fokkers will remain a challenge. Sooo, if someone has (no, impossible, I don't dare to ask, hmm I yet do) photographs...

In the meantime Cees Donker sent me a beta of Schiphol 1940. Beautiful Cees! Reasons enough for trying the textured bird on your creation. It is beautiful, feels like the last piece of the puzzle.

This is the T.5 with running engines in front of the Fokker hangar.

And next to the civil Fokkers. Nice uh?

On the runway, top view.

Ah, you disabled scenery shadows?

Cees

Members who have read this thread: 3