Zeijava AB, Yugoslavia, scenery

Thread: Zeijava AB, Yugoslavia, scenery

Zeijava AB, Yugoslavia, scenery

Always on the look-out for intresting military airfields in Europe to fly a Mig from, ive become facinated with Zeijava AB, Originally built in the former state of Yugoslavia,now on the border of Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovia. Built almost entirly underground in the side of a mountain, Zeijava was able to house,support and maintain up to 3 squadrons of Mig 21's of the Yugoslav airforce within 4 kilometers of tunnels with five runways (two modelled by me) visable outside. It was claimed that the complexe was stronge enough to withstand a direct hit from a 20-kiloton nuclear weapon and was probably the most expensive military construction project in Europe.
    Much of the base's surface structure's including runways were destroyed by retreating Yugoslav force's in 1991 and the tunnels dynamited by Serbian force's in 1992, more info can be found on---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDeljava_Air_Base, there are some great you-tube clips of Mig 21's operating from LYBI

and another site i found with great info and clips here---

http://www.zeljava-lybi.com/

Im afraid its only the runways and taxiways that are available with this scenery, almost all
    the airfield infrustructure we are used to on military airfields were placed almost entirly underground, even the control
    tower was built into the mountain side with very little visable. This is a great base for exploring some pretty spectacular Balken scenery but you'll just have to imagin those 4 Kilometers of tunnels im afraid

You will need to install my East German airfield pack---"Cottbus-Derwitz and Preschen for FSX.zip" found in the SOH library
    and at Flightsim, as ive used some of the object and Vehicle librarys from that scenery

There's also a traffic file for 10 Yugoslave Mig 21's, you'll need----

"mpai_mig21_ai_traffic_05.zip" by Mike Pearson, found at Avsim

My FSX install at the moment is stock with no sdd-on mesh or landclass, if you use third party mesh for this region, there may be issue's with the airfield not fitting properly.

cheers ian

Thanks for sharing Ian. I've always had a fascination with the extremes taken through the Cold War; this base appears to be one of the better examples of such!

Is there an underground hangar that you can taxi in/out of? Nice looking scenery! NC

Is there an underground hangar that you can taxi in/out of? Nice looking scenery! NC
    Im afraid not NC, i wish there was a way but i think its one of the few areas of the FS series that cant be modeled, the only thing i can think off is constructing the mountain and the tunnels within as a scenery object, you'd have to lose the existing mountain with flat areas or something, i can remember someone doing something similar in CFS1, looked pretty cool for 13 years ago, but i dont think it would cut it today.

cheers ian

Blog Entries
    Very cool.

This reminds me of a Swiss scenery package featuring Meiringen for FS9. Couldn't get it to work in FSX - but the idea of such bases is very intriguing, even if not truly "underground" in FSX.

If/when you release this Ian, I'll be all over it.

cheers,

dl

edit - just saw you posted it up in the library - thanks!
    Last edited by delta_lima; October 9th, 2014 at 13:41. Reason: updated info

Thanks Ian!!

Underground airbases are very exotic. I wish that in the future we can enjoy full underground airbases developed for FS/P3D.

If there was some way to flatten part of the mesh, then model the mountain... You could texture it to match the rest of the mountain... Would be neat!

[QUOTEIf there was some way to flatten part of the mesh, then model the mountain... You could texture it to match the rest of the mountain... Would be neat!][/QUOTE]

And there lies the problem, making a 3D object that seamlessly blends into the surrounding mesh, and it would have to be a huge object also, well beyond my capability,

cheers ian

Will have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Members who have read this thread: 1