New Spielberg/Hanks WW2 series in the works!

Thread: New Spielberg/Hanks WW2 series in the works!

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

New Spielberg/Hanks WW2 series in the works!

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-...spielberg.html

Joining an oeuvre that already includes 2001’s Band of Brothers and 2010’s The Pacific, the untitled miniseries will explore the aerial wars through the eyes of enlisted men of the Eighth Air Force — known as the men of the Mighty Eighth. The project will use as its source material historian Donald L. Miller’s nonfiction tome Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Don't get HBO, oh well. Will have to wait for the dvd release in about 6 years.

It's interesting that the article mentions that HBO is just confirming it now, since the project has been reported on many times over the past couple years already (as being in the works), since it was initially announced in 2012. Other articles I've read this year and last mention that the budget is set at $500 million (...CGI certainly costs a lot )! Other reports have mentioned that the miniseries is slated to air in 2015 (though I wonder if this will be pushed back?), and that much of the filming will be taking place on location in England and Germany.

I know such a miniseries has been Spielberg's dream since he was very young, having grown up with an interest in WWII aviation - his father was part of the USAAF and briefly served aboard B-25's in the Pacific during WWII.

I've been looking forward to when the first reports/photos come in from the sets and whichever parties (organizations, warbird owners/collections if any, cast, etc.) will be involved with the production. Knowing "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific", no detail is too small to overlook for those involved with these productions in getting everything absolutely historically accurate.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Well I hope so. Considering they totally cut out the aerial aspect of the "Pacific". Don't get me wrong loved the Pacific but would be lying if I said I wasn't more than a little disappointed having already read the book by the time I watched the series.

I own the Band of Brothers dvd set. In my opinion, it is one of the finest series of its kind ever produced. Didn't like the Pacific series as much though. Too much drama. NC

We actually flew several of the Spielberg/Hanks people on Movie Belle last year...... in Savannah.
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.

Members who have read this thread: 2