NAS Lemoore scenery! - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: NAS Lemoore scenery!

Henry, you've made a real gem here. I've always used KNLC as my "home base" in FS, and now I have some beautiful and accurate scenery to go with it. Terrific stuff.

To the folks thinking about AI packages, there were never A-6s or F-4s based at Lemoore. It was "Light Attack" (as in, "No Slack In...") in A-4 and A-7 days, then in the 1980s, the Hornets started arriving, gradually replacing the ugly but adorable A-7s.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Hi Eric,

Eras? I'd be at the mercy of the repainter as to what they'd like. I'm picturing picking an era (eg: late 60s) and then it in phases. Doing the A-7s in one go, the A-4s in another, etc. Then when those are done, move on to say, the late '80s (full TPS). That would give you two distinct periods, roughly 20 years apart. Of course, the scenery is "pegged" to the current/modern period, but again, there's limits to everything.

There are at least a couple of decent FS9 naval AI F-4s available, so the F-4 component has virtually no barriers to progress.

A-4s are easy - I've already used the Mike Pearson models in a quick MCAS Beaufort population I did a while back. They work superb, and can be used in decent numbers.

A-6s are hard; apart from the FS9 Alphasim Enterprise A-6, not aware of another A-6. In either case, though, even remotely appropriate repaints are the missing factor. And of course, A-7s - we'd need the MAIW model repainted.

So there are options, for sure. Maybe I'll bang about tonight with the lovely Martinez AI F-4, and Pearson A-4, and see what I can do ...

dl
    I'll volunteer to slap some paint on the A-7...after the first of the year. Was the Jake Burris AI A-7 ever released outside of the MAIW package?
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    This new KNLC works great!! beautiful job! I had been using the FS9 MAIW version, but this is much better. FYI, the MAIW FS9 AI, converted to FSX works great on this airport. I fired it up and was pleased to see FA-18's lined up in all the covered parking spaces. :-)

Only one minor issue. When taxiing from the covered parking on the north side of the main ramp to RWY 32R, the progresive taxi markers take you on a taxiway, but right through the middle of a couple of small buildings and a construction barrier! Dont know if thats a result of a leftover afcad from the MAIW version, or an error in this new scenery?

Otherwise the parking and the AFCAD markings seem to fit the base perfectly. I did deactivate the MAIW KNLC before launch, so the main base doesnt conflict.

Gonna take a helicopter tour of the base now! KNFL and KNLC are my two "go to" favorite west coast Navy bases.
    Eric and Henry,

Unless I'm missing something, it appears that none of the parking spots in the KNLC AFX file are linked to the taxiway network, so all of our MAIW NBAI F-18's are relegated to being static aircraft that disappear when they are scheduled to taxi out. I'd connect all the parking spots up, but I don't have AFX and so far I haven't figured out how to do it with ADE to an AFX bgl file without losing all of Henry's fine NAS Lemoore scenery objects.

Despite this AI problem, I really like Henry's NAS Lemoore scenery and all those parked MAIW NBAI F-18's are very impressive.
    Mike M.​

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    I'll volunteer to slap some paint on the A-7...after the first of the year. Was the Jake Burris AI A-7 ever released outside of the MAIW package?
    Oh yeah! No matter how long it takes, it would be awesome to see the Lemoore flight line filled with Corsair IIs, and perhaps someday a redo of NAS Cecil Field as well. But as a flight simmer who appreciates the work of others, I learned a long time ago how important it is to be patient!

For my part, I am able to provide data. And since I will soon be spending one day a week, volunteering at the Naval Aviation Museum Library, I foresee having access to a lot of great information that will surely help all the SOH talented scenery designers, aircraft painters, and flight simmers in general! NC

Blog Entries
    Good reminder PRB regarding the a/c types. Makes things easier. A-4s circa 1966, High-vis A-7s circa 1975, TPS A-7s circa 1988. I'll start pottering about with the A-4s tonight and see how I get on. That said, I assumed the AFCAD "worked" - so that'll have to get run through ADE's fault checker. Can't be too hard to connect up the taxiways to the parking.

Stay tuned ...

dl

Great Gift for the holidays!

You guys are great, downloading this now. Looking forward to seeing an updated AFCAD so we can populate the place with MAIW package Hornets.

Blog Entries

test ... Lemoore '68.

Ok - as promised ...

First, a few caveats....

1) Buildings era and aircraft era are out of sync - doubt they had the portable shades in '68. I get and respect the authours had a current/modern period in mind when this scenery was made. I'd love Lemoore retro'ed to the 60s ... but hey, this is already a gift, so let's roll with it.

2) Unit (VA-93) might have staged through Lemoore, enroute to Westpac '68 cruise in Vietnam - may or may not be accurate for a Lemoore unit per se.

3) I'm not that great with the aircraft assignment, so instead of being all nicely in a row, they're scattered.

4) There's likely some "incompletable" flight legs, due to AFCADs in the MAIW Lemoore pack that I chose not to install, as to not bugger up this Lemoore scenery. So there's fewer planes than there should (I counted 8 scattered around the various aprons, as opposed to the 15 in the traffic bgl).

Basically, I was trying to triangulate between the units Mike Pearson modelled, the repaints of the FSX Virtavia A-4s, we had, of those, which were (possibly) based at/staged through Lemoore ... all while waiting for the dinner soup to cook and feed my kids - a paltry 40 min worth of pathetic work - but as a test, it gives you a sense of what is possible with this scenery, particularly for us "retroheads".

I'll play around with some more units, possibly try some F-4s out of Oceana, just for fun ...

Enjoy!

dl

Only one minor issue. When taxiing from the covered parking on the north side of the main ramp to RWY 32R, the progresive taxi markers take you on a taxiway, but right through the middle of a couple of small buildings and a construction barrier!
    umm..making notes for update

Quote Originally Posted by mikewmac View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, it appears that none of the parking spots in the KNLC AFX file are linked to the taxiway network,
    Yes this is the case right now. Using AFX instead of ADE will not affect the scenery objects. Remember there are 2 AFCAD's, one for normal night ops and one for FCLP. If you make mods for AI, let me know and happy to include in next upload.

1) Buildings era and aircraft era are out of sync - doubt they had the portable shades in '68.
    Check the scenery configurator...there is an option to turn off the shelters.

That said, I assumed the AFCAD "worked" - so that'll have to get run through ADE's fault checker. Can't be too hard to connect up the taxiways to the parking.

Stay tuned ...

dl
    DL,

Although very tedious, it is easy to link up all the parking spots to the taxiway network with ADE, but when you compile the new ADE bgl file you lose all of Henry's beautiful scenery. Unless there is a workaround for this that I haven't been able to find, AFX will have to be used to link up all the parking spots to the taxiway network. Of course this is only necessary if AI flights in and out of NAS Lemoore are desired. If one only wants some parked static aircraft, then the current AFX files are fine.
    Mike M.​

As I mentioned, if you use Flight1's AFX, you won't lose the scenery objects. With ADE you must preload all the object libraries into ADE before editing the AFCAD or you will lose the object placements.

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    As I mentioned, if you use Flight1's AFX, you won't lose the scenery objects. With ADE you must preload all the object libraries into ADE before editing the AFCAD or you will lose the object placements.
    Henry,

I've already loaded the KNLC_Objects.bgl into ADE. What others would have to be loaded into ADE?

BTW...Does AFX have an option to compile the airport and the object placements into separate bgl files?
    Mike M.​

SOH-CM-2023
    Great job, Henry. Thanks to you and anyone who helped for your efforts. Happy Holidays.

A friend and contributor, Bill D., has the MAIW Hornet package flying in and out without mods to the AFCAD.

Unless there is a workaround for this that I haven't been able to find, ...
    Getting in and editing the resulting XML file to suit your needs? Get rid of all the scenery object placement and exclusions at the top would be a good first step.

Blog Entries

Check the scenery configurator...there is an option to turn off the shelters.
    Thanks for the tip Henry!

That'll certainly take the "really modern" edge off it and make it work a bit better to represent an older period.

Great scenery - just love it.

dl

A friend and contributor, Bill D., has the MAIW Hornet package flying in and out without mods to the AFCAD.
    Henry,

I'm very puzzled by his results, since AI have to have a continuous taxi path to and from the runway in order to taxi out, takeoff, land and taxi back.

When I used your unmodified AFX file I had MAIW NBAI F-18's flying in from other airbases that landed, but they disappeared as soon as they slowed to turn off the runway and any that were scheduled to depart disappeared as soon as they were cleared to taxi out.
    Mike M.​

Henry,

I'm very puzzled by his results, since AI have to have a continuous taxi path to and from the runway in order to taxi out, takeoff, land and taxi back.

When I used your unmodified AFX file I had MAIW NBAI F-18's flying in from other airbases that landed, but they disappeared as soon as they slowed to turn off the runway and any that were scheduled to depart disappeared as soon as they were cleared to taxi out.
    Mike, I confess total ignorance to the configuration and use of AI. The type of flying I do is either specific maneuver based or MP of some type.

Will ask Bill about your comment to see if the AI are disappearing but he didn't mention it.

There are continuous taxi paths from runway to runway thru all the taxiways and aprons...just not to parking spaces.

Will let you know if I find anything out from Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post

To the folks thinking about AI packages, there were never A-6s or F-4s based at Lemoore. It was "Light Attack" (as in, "No Slack In...") in A-4 and A-7 days, then in the 1980s, the Hornets started arriving, gradually replacing the ugly but adorable A-7s.
    Paul, Ima stealing your screenshot for my FB page

Retro NAS Lemoore

Hi PRB,

Like a number of us Naval Aviators "of a certain age", I remember the days when NAS Miramar was "Fighter Town" and Lemoore was the west coast's light attack capital. As such I will use it as my home for my Razbam A-7's and Virtavia A-4's. I have three questions:

1/ If you compare the doors on the REAR of the hangars with either of these aircraft's pilots, you should be able to see that they would be too tall to fit thru the doors. This leads me to speculate (with the MOST constructive of intentions) that either a) the aircraft are scaled too large (unlikely, as the situation is the same with two independent modelers). b) The hangar doors are too small, or c) the entire hangar set is not tall enough.

2/ I will want to remove the new tower and add a new control tower top to the existing original control tower base. Can anyone refer me to a couple of good photos of the upper glass portion of original tower. I'll share my results (a friend of mine and myself tackle projects like this) - with PRB's permission.

3/ I would also like to consider making one replacement hangar that has an open hangar door (on the aircraft side). Anyone know of applicable reference photos for this?

PRB: I love this scenery! Congratulations of a job well done ("BZ" in Naval parlance)!

Merry Christmas to all of you,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Hi PRB,

Like a number of us Naval Aviators "of a certain age", I remember the days when NAS Miramar was "Fighter Town" and Lemoore was the west coast's light attack capital. As such I will use it as my home for my Razbam A-7's and Virtavia A-4's. I have three questions:
    1/ If you compare the doors on the REAR of the hangars with either of these aircraft's pilots, you should be able to see that they would be too tall to fit thru the doors. This leads me to speculate (with the MOST constructive of intentions) that either a) the aircraft are scaled too large (unlikely, as the situation is the same with two independent modelers). b) The hangar doors are too small, or c) the entire hangar set is not tall enough.
    2/ I will want to remove the new tower and add a new control tower top to the existing original control tower base. Can anyone refer me to a couple of good photos of the upper glass portion of original tower. I'll share my results (a friend of mine and myself tackle projects like this) - with PRB's permission.
    3/ I would also like to consider making one replacement hangar that has an open hangar door (on the aircraft side). Anyone know of applicable reference photos for this?
    PRB: I love this scenery! Congratulations of a job well done ("BZ" in Naval parlance)!
    Merry Christmas to all of you,

Bill
    Hi Bill,

My name is Henry and I am the creator of the Lemoore scenery. Glad you are enjoying and using it! Regards your questions and comments:

1) As I noted in the manual, there are many parts of the scenery that are generalized and depicted in a fashion, either for performance or my technical limitations, that are not a direct replication of the actual location. The rear of the hangars is just such an example. If you do an image search, you will definitely see this. The dimensions of the hangars and the size of the front doors are, however, as accurate as I could make them without a set of plans. In another life, I was a photogrammetrist and mathematician, the measuration of aerial photography for both horizontal and elevation data was my profession for a couple of decades. While I wouldnt bet the hangars are with 5 inches of actual height, I certainly would be willing to bet they are within 5 feet of actual height. If you do come across any plans or dimensional drawings, I would absolutely love to make any adjustments incorporating that information.

2) It would be a pleasure to incorporate a model you might create for the top of the old control tower. With the scenery configurator tool, it would be relatively easy for me to "turn off" the new tower and "turn on" the top of the old tower. After you get it created, let me know and we will fix it up. Please note that there are many more differences to the airbase in the time period you mention than just the tower. Several folks, including some dear friends, have asked me about a retro version. Honestly, without good aerial photography from the time period, anything I create would be a "hack", a mix of several miscellaneous non-aerial photographs, and a lot of artistic speculation to hold the differences together. Details such as the stiping, the refuel pits, and the jet engine shop area are were all very different in the past from what they are now. If you come across good vintage aerial photography, please let me know and I will do it "right", my promise to all that have asked me for such a version.

3) As with the top of the old tower, if you make a hangar model with open doors and interior detail, I would be more than happy to incorporate into the scenery. I purposely did not model the interior of the hangars for performance reasons. Many of the folks I fly with do not have the "latest and greatest" computers and I wanted to create a scenery that they could enjoy as well. You can see my intent in the options of the configurator tool. If you provide such a hangar model, I would add it as an option to the configurator.

I am very open to mods, additions and corrections to the scenery that can be incorporated and distributed for all folks to use. As of the v1.00 version, I am collecting community feedback, just like this thread, for an update sometime late in Q1 2015. Please keep me abreast of your progress on the options you mention so we can coordinate a distro.

Thanks again for using and enjoying the scenery.

Henry, that FA-18 will sit there on 32R and then disappear. However, I have AI coming in and landing no problem, but they dont taxi. I have the MAIW stuff installed as well.

Henry, that FA-18 will sit there on 32R and then disappear. However, I have AI coming in and landing no problem, but they dont taxi. I have the MAIW stuff installed as well.
    Thanks for the update, I have not gotten any answer yet from my other folks. Do you think they need the parking connected in order to taxi? As I mentioned, the taxiway/apron links are all continuous (that is how the night lighting is generated).

henrystreet, they do need the links connected. The AI will currently spawn at the parking spots, but will not taxi without connected links. One of the ways to tell, well in the AI world, if you have a parking issue or taxi link issue when adding new airports. The other way is the disappear after landing, it's either no links or properly sized parking node for that model. The MAIW jets are also using a standard parking code in addition to the MIL_COMBAT spot, ie VFA-122 will be coded V122.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

[QUOTEHenry, that FA-18 will sit there on 32R and then disappear][/QUOTE]

I think that means that there's no parking-spot for that spacific FA-18 at the destination airfield in the flightplan.

cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Henry, that FA-18 will sit there on 32R and then disappear]
    I think that means that there's no parking-spot for that spacific FA-18 at the destination airfield in the flightplan.

cheers ian
    Ian,

Actually in this particular case at Henry's NAS Lemoore it means that there is no taxi route for this or any other MAIW NBAI F-18 all the way back to a parking spot since none of the parking spots are linked to the taxiway and apron route network. It also means that all of the parked MAIW NBAI F-18's will disappear when their scheduled ETD occurs since they have no linked route from their parking spot to the active runway.
    Mike M.​

Members who have read this thread: 2