Battle of Britain

Thread: Battle of Britain

Battle of Britain

Fighters from the movie to be restored to flyable.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/502...-years-in-barn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battle-of-Britain-fighter-jets-502635.jpg  

Seen better days hasn't it?
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Even if they fail in the flyable stakes, just to get them looking good or even better in taxi condition is better than them rotting away in a barn.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

It was interesting to read this, as it is exactly what I predicted would happen with them - a European buyer and with the Buchons sent to MeierMotors due to their experience with the type.

The article continues to describe these aircraft as being 'barn finds'. The truth is that they've been known about for years by warbird enthusiasts and friends of Connie Edwards (a prolific guy in the warbird community) and the aircraft were stored indoors in a very dry, basically desert climate since the 70's. These all are the best warbird restoration projects someone could hope for (the Spitfire, Buchons, and the yet to be sold Mustang), as they are all there, and with very little/minor at most corrosion (whatever corrosion is present would have likely only initiated before Connie Edwards got them). Most warbird projects these days start with very, very little, where as these are complete in every regard. I know a couple restoration experts who have stated that they would love to work on the Spitfire, for instance, as, for a change, it would be starting with an absolutely complete aircraft with everything still there (unrestored since original manufacture), rather than having to start with a corroded wreck and having to build almost everything from scratch (as has been the case with some various warbird 'restorations' in recent years, as it is getting to be just about all that is left). The Buchons, being in the number they are, should also be a great cost-savings measure to have them all restored in a sort of production-line method. Even if just cleaned up (water and soap), these aircraft would be display-ready for any museum - they just have a lot of dust and dirt collected on them over the years. Most sellers would have had these aircraft cleaned up ahead of putting them up for sale, in which case they would look great, but it was all part of keeping the appearance of them as being 'barn finds'.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 27th, 2014 at 14:46.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Members who have read this thread: 4