P3D v2.3 vs FSX Graphical question

Thread: P3D v2.3 vs FSX Graphical question

P3D v2.3 vs FSX Graphical question

dear Community

May I ask a graphs question?

I have FSX and P3D v2.3 installed.basically I use same settings with my Nvidia GTX 670 card-->so far all fine

Only point is that all P3D's so far are much darker in appearance then FSX

Is that same for you?(as i guess most of you come from FSX)
    Is there any cure?
    Or different necessary setting?

Do I need to set it differently with the Nvidia inspector

Thanks for help

Roland

Members +
    Maybe adjust your monitor's brightness settings?

I don't own Prepar3d, but I'm following all the forums with interest because I am considering making the switch from FSX. I remember reading somewhere you have to turn of HDR in the graphic settings to get a brighter sim.
    Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

The "darkness" problem comes from the HDR effect in the graphic options of P3D.
    But before you deactivate this option, I would really recommend you to take more time to investigate about it, to see what it really does.
    The HDR will attempt to simulate the reactions of your eyes when transiting between very dark areas and very bright areas.
    If at first the picture seems dark, wait a little bit. You'll notice it gets progressively brighter.

Also, the could shadows now play an important role on the amount of light around you and the vibrance of the surrounding scenery. If you are in a shadowed area, with a big could right above your head, the cockpit might seem very dark and the surrounding scenery quite colorless. But as soon as you get out of the shadow, the illuminted scenery will look colorful, making a nice contrast. The HDR emphasizes this.

That being said, there were some discussions on the LM forums (or avsim, I don't remember) about the transition (adaptation) time of the HDR effect. Someone explained how to make the transition faster, by editing some line somewhere in the shaders code. I haven't done it yet, I like the HDR myself.

Also, you might want to install and properly configure SweetFX, which offers some nice effect to make the color more vibrant. When I deactivate it (it's done in game with a single key), the picture on the screen looks like black&white

Thanks

Ill try that out

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    That being said, there were some discussions on the LM forums (or avsim, I don't remember) about the transition (adaptation) time of the HDR effect. Someone explained how to make the transition faster, by editing some line somewhere in the shaders code. I haven't done it yet, I like the HDR myself.
    It is a sticked post at AVSIM. I changed the 'transition time' such that it is barely a second delay between changes, and have found it much more pleasant to use...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Members who have read this thread: 2