Launching Flights in P3D_2.2

Thread: Launching Flights in P3D_2.2

Launching Flights in P3D_2.2

Am I correct in assuming that unlike FSX, there is no way to setup a desktop shortcut to launch a saved flight in P3D?

Blog Entries
    You could always set your default flight to the one that you use most and have it load straight into the flight. I find setting up a flight in P3D a pain. You have to go through the entire airport/Country list to find your airport, unlike FSX which automatically has your last airport there for you. It would be good if they had a "favourites" facility for airports as they have for aircraft.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    You could always set your default flight to the one that you use most and have it load straight into the flight. . . . . .

Ian
    Yep, that's what I've been doing lately. . .Thanks

You have to go through the entire airport/Country list to find your airport
    You can just type in the ICAO code or the start of its name and it should come up straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Am I correct in assuming that unlike FSX, there is no way to setup a desktop shortcut to launch a saved flight in P3D?
    Works just as it did in FSX, C:\Users\xxxxxx\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files, send to desktop (create shortcut).

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    Works just as it did in FSX, C:\Users\xxxxxx\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files, send to desktop (create shortcut).
    FSX had an "application" file, for each saved flight, you could send that to the desktop. Double clicking it would put you back into that flight. P3D saved flights are not done that way.

I just gave it a try.
    Launched P3D, my default flight is with the C172 in some airport I don't remember where, with fair weather theme.
    I created a new scenario, with the Mirage standing at the parking in Bowerman, with building storms theme, but i didn't launch it. I simply saved the scenario with name "Mirage in Bowerman".
    Then I killed P3D, and went into the \My Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\ folder => a new file "Mirage in Bowerman.fxml" appeared.
    I double-clicked on it, and P3D launched automatically. It didn't go to the cockpit though, it went to the main menu, but all parameters were set as per my scenario: the plane, the time, the location and the weather were all set, and I just needed to click on the "OK" button to launch the flight.
    So it's not a direct access to cockpit, but it's quite convenient already.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I just gave it a try.
    Launched P3D, my default flight is with the C172 in some airport I don't remember where, with fair weather theme.
    I created a new scenario, with the Mirage standing at the parking in Bowerman, with building storms theme, but i didn't launch it. I simply saved the scenario with name "Mirage in Bowerman".
    Then I killed P3D, and went into the \My Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\ folder => a new file "Mirage in Bowerman.fxml" appeared.
    I double-clicked on it, and P3D launched automatically. It didn't go to the cockpit though, it went to the main menu, but all parameters were set as per my scenario: the plane, the time, the location and the weather were all set, and I just needed to click on the "OK" button to launch the flight.
    So it's not a direct access to cockpit, but it's quite convenient already.
    Problem solved. The FXML files had been associated with "Notepad" . . .I assume from the time of the original installation. I changed that to associate with the P3D Application and it worked fine. Never gave that a thought because all the way back to my original FSX installation the saved flights files were always able to load with a double click. When I saw that the FXML were not, I assumed that was how they were supposed to be and didn't attempt to change them. . .no reason for me to assume otherwise. With your post, I thought I'd try to change one and see what I got. . .success. Thanks Daube!

Great !
    Just a warning though: I have made another test, by saving a flight while flying the aircraft (airborne).
    Of course, it worked, P3D launched when double-clicking on the saved flight, and it reached the menu, then I clicked OK and I reached the cockpit of the aircraft that was at the same place.
    However:
    - the flight was not paused (it was when I saved the flight), so I had to quickly hit Pause to wait for the scenery around me to load.
    - some of the instruments where not active... I suppose this is due to specific, non-standard gauges.
    - the engine died immediately... I suppose this is once again because of the specific gauges.

So, looks like you'll have to test, aircraft by aircraft.

Members who have read this thread: 0