USS Midway - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: USS Midway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    BTW, if you're ever in San Diego and have the chance - do a tour of the real deal. Well worth it!
    Agreed. Took the Midway tour and had a wonderful time! Also visit the 'Maritime Museum of San Diego' just up the street from Midway. Another great stop in San Diego.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Dave.. the beta is available on this thread if you go back through the pages

ATB
    DaveB
    Beta2 - found it - many thanks!
    Cheers,
    Dave

Just thought i'd give an update on progress.

Based on the number of requests for both a model with clear deck and one with static aircraft, I have now managed to compile the model so that the user can select whether they want a clear, or populated flight deck from AI carriers. Testing is going okay however the IFOLS no longer works so i'll need to look into that (I may have added the attachpoint incorrectly). I've also reworked the nose of the static phantom so it looked less like the F-4E

And added some static aircraft to the hanger without too much impact on frame rates.

Hopefully another week and i'll upload another (final with a bit of luck) version to test.

Cheers
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Nice to see some F-4's on the deck.
    Did this carrier ever serve with A-4 Skyhawks? if so, some A-4's would be schweet for mid-late 60's operations. And maybe a sky raider or two.

Midway made a single Vietnam cruise with Skyhawks and Spads (1965) prior to a lengthy overhaul at Hunters Point Naval Shipyard.
    Air Wing was:
    VA-22 (A-4C)
    VA-23 (A-4E)
    VA-25 (A-1H)
    VF-21 (F-4B)
    VF-111 (F-8D)
    VAH-8 (A-3B)
    VAW-11 (E-1B)
    VFP-63 (RF-8A)

One more comment - Gary, Does adding textures to the phantoms and Corsairs make a hit on frames?

This is really very nice!
    Deke

I have used ai carriers, but prefer to not use it and play back the carrier using fsrecorder. Will the option to have a clear or busy deck be just for ai carriers, or will it work for fsrecorder too?

Quote Originally Posted by gp183601 View Post

Based on the number of requests for both a model with clear deck and one with static aircraft, I have now managed to compile the model so that the user can select whether they want a clear, or populated flight deck from AI carriers.
    Cheers
    Gary

Nice !... Waiting for the final version to come out...
    My Military Flight Videos :

Midway made a single Vietnam cruise with Skyhawks and Spads (1965) prior to a lengthy overhaul at Hunters Point Naval Shipyard.
    Air Wing was:
    VA-22 (A-4C)
    VA-23 (A-4E)
    VA-25 (A-1H)
    VF-21 (F-4B)
    VF-111 (F-8D)
    VAH-8 (A-3B)
    VAW-11 (E-1B)
    VFP-63 (RF-8A)
    Wow! That's quite the "dream cruise" - with 6 different aircraft types represented.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

First test in FSX, hopefully with a close approximation to how she looked in the early to mid 70's. Still loads to do on the texturing, hanger, static crew, aircraft etc etc but i'm slowly getting there. The recent phantom threads have spurred me on to get this finished.

Attachment 8876Attachment 8877

ATB
    G
    hello everybody....just wants to say thank to gp and all people that worked on the midway......just downloaded, i go to try it now

is there any ils frequency that works????????? thanks

If you mean the RFN TACAN frequency, yes, you can assign one and find the Midway using the RFN Tacan gauge. It also pops up on the ARS4 AI plane/ship radar. For the RFN gauge, you will need to assign a frequency in the RFN xml gauge, per the instructions that come with it.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

With all due respect to the OP and everyone else....to all carrier fans the USS Essex is 96% complete at this time.

http://deltasimstudio.com/

I do not work for the above team....just FYI for everyone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSHQ View Post
    With all due respect to the OP and everyone else....to all carrier fans the USS Essex is 96% complete at this time.

http://deltasimstudio.com/

I do not work for the above team....just FYI for everyone.
    Nice looking LHD class carrier, and could be something some of us might spring for if/when complete. So, for that, appreciate the heads-up

That said, it'd have been better in its own thread, as a "FYI/heads up item" - because bringing up a payware, modern period assault VSTOL/STOVL carrier has zero to do with the mid-60s Midway CTOL carrier Gary has been toiling on - just a thought ... Indeed, a whole thread of recommended/proposed ideas for Deltasim could be a very interesting discussion - just maybe not here, no?

Back to the scheduled programme, Gary, thanks for the update, and more so for the kind consideration given to the "clear deck option" request. I'm sure the obnoxious crank who requested it will appreciate it too ... oh, wait, hang on, that was, uh, um ...

In the meantime, the obnoxious crank is getting some great thrills with your USS Oriskany. I get a about a 10FPS drop from my pegged 30, but it's more manageable than the Midway - that one drops by about 15-20FPS. The non-rotating radars never bothered me much, but am wondering if opening JBDs might oneday happen. Just curious ...

Again, thanks for your work!

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Nice looking LHD class carrier, and could be something some of us might spring for if/when complete. So, for that, appreciate the heads-up

That said, it'd have been better in its own thread, as a "FYI/heads up item" - because bringing up a payware, modern period assault VSTOL/STOVL carrier has zero to do with the mid-60s Midway CTOL carrier Gary has been toiling on - just a thought ... Indeed, a whole thread of recommended/proposed ideas for Deltasim could be a very interesting discussion - just maybe not here, no?

Back to the scheduled programme, Gary, thanks for the update, and more so for the kind consideration given to the "clear deck option" request. I'm sure the obnoxious crank who requested it will appreciate it too ... oh, wait, hang on, that was, uh, um ...

In the meantime, the obnoxious crank is getting some great thrills with your USS Oriskany. I get a about a 10FPS drop from my pegged 30, but it's more manageable than the Midway - that one drops by about 15-20FPS. The non-rotating radars never bothered me much, but am wondering if opening JBDs might oneday happen. Just curious ...

Again, thanks for your work!

dl

To my knowledge, you cannot add animations to Google Sketchup models. I wish I could, so I can animate the radars on this ship...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3xMZ9JM.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	15325

Based on the number of requests for both a model with clear deck and one with static aircraft, I have now managed to compile the model so that the user can select whether they want a clear, or populated flight deck from AI carriers. Testing is going okay however the IFOLS no longer works so i'll need to look into that (I may have added the attachpoint incorrectly). I've also reworked the nose of the static phantom so it looked less like the F-4E

And added some static aircraft to the hanger without too much impact on frame rates.

Hopefully another week and i'll upload another (final with a bit of luck) version to test.

Cheers
    Gary
    I just took the time to go through this thread. Great work! Are you using Sketchup to make those static planes? I also use it for static scenery objects and made a gate guardian F-84 once but nothing so complicated as an F-4 or A-7. Have you checked the "smooth edges" option? It will make the edges between polys look smoother on your planes.

Quote Originally Posted by WombRaider78 View Post
    To my knowledge, you cannot add animations to Google Sketchup models. I wish I could, so I can animate the radars on this ship...
    If someone did a collection of animated radars, JBDs etc. They could be merged into the ship MDL using MCX.

For the static planes etc, if they were placed on the ship as attached library objects. Then disabling the relevant library would clear the deck. This may work ok for the animations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dave76 View Post
    I used 114.60 in RFN_Carrier.xml
    <carrier Name="USS Midway CV-41"

Carrier Name="USS Midway CV-41"
    <carrier <="" strong="">Name="USS Midway CV-41"
    Sim_Name="USS_Midway"
    CarrierType="1"
    Frequency="114.60"
    Language="US"
    RunwayAngle="12.45"
    GS_Angle="3.99"
    ILS_Xcoord="-5.05"
    ILS_Ycoord="16.80"
    ILS_Zcoord="-115.50"
    TCN_Xcoord="20.00"
    TCN_Ycoord="66.45"
    TCN_Zcoord="-29.00"
    Sim_Name_Helo="none"
    Helo_Bearing="0"
    Helo_Distance="0"/><carrier Name="USS Midway CV-41"

Note: There is a Missing "<"<carrier Name="USS Midway CV-41"
    in front of Carrier Name. Quote brackets cause some oddities and Code brackets didn't work either.

I also adde a helo to mine<carrier Name="USS Midway CV-41"

Sim_Name_Helo="VEH_SH-3H_Seaking_Midway"
    Helo_Bearing="250"
    Helo_Distance="100"/>

It's a repainted Team SDB SH-3 that came with their USS Enterprise CVN65 package(payware)

Name:	Midway RFN ILS.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	15459

The hook is inches off the deck, just beyond the 2nd wire. Keep the ILS cenetered and grab "3"...Don</carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Midway RFN ILS.jpg  
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP wet), EVGA GTX 970 FTW, 16GB DDR3-2400,
    128GB SAMSUNG 830-Win 7 Ult x64, 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro-FS9/FSX/P3D, WD 1TB Black-FS98, ROF, etc. WD Black 2TB-Storage/Backup,

Rfn tacan gauge

Would appreciate a link where I can D/L copy of the latest RFN Tacan gauge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Would appreciate a link where I can D/L copy of the latest RFN Tacan gauge.
    Thanks
    La Royale French Navy

English LSO voices

Thanks for the link ^ . Are there LSO voices in English available? If so, where can I find them?

Quote Originally Posted by fxsttcb View Post
    I used 114.60 in RFN_Carrier.xml
    <carrier name="USS Midway CV-41"

Carrier Name="USS Midway CV-41"
    <carrier <="" strong="">Name="USS Midway CV-41"
    Sim_Name="USS_Midway"
    CarrierType="1"
    Frequency="114.60"
    Language="US"
    RunwayAngle="12.45"
    GS_Angle="3.99"
    ILS_Xcoord="-5.05"
    ILS_Ycoord="16.80"
    ILS_Zcoord="-115.50"
    TCN_Xcoord="20.00"
    TCN_Ycoord="66.45"
    TCN_Zcoord="-29.00"
    Sim_Name_Helo="none"
    Helo_Bearing="0"
    Helo_Distance="0"/><carrier name="USS Midway CV-41"

Note: There is a Missing "<"<carrier name="USS Midway CV-41"
    in front of Carrier Name. Quote brackets cause some oddities and Code brackets didn't work either.

I also adde a helo to mine<carrier name="USS Midway CV-41"

Sim_Name_Helo="VEH_SH-3H_Seaking_Midway"
    Helo_Bearing="250"
    Helo_Distance="100"/>

It's a repainted Team SDB SH-3 that came with their USS Enterprise CVN65 package(payware)

Name:	Midway RFN ILS.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	15459

The hook is inches off the deck, just beyond the 2nd wire. Keep the ILS cenetered and grab "3"...Don</carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier>
    Now I especially like this . A Marine squadron with F-8's . Now you have the " Old Gunfighters " on board .

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Based on some of the feedback, I've been working on another update to the USS Midway. Attempts to create animation have failed and i'm really reaching the limit of my abilities. However for those of you that are still interested I have attached V0.3 to this thread.

Changes i've made:

-Added some more antennas, wires and general 'stuff' to make the island look more cluttered
    -Remodeled the rear of the island to more closely resemble the real thing
    -Moved the IFOLS position to match the attachpoint so that the floating meatball isn't as obvious (not 100% perfect but best I could do)
    -Added A-6 intruders to the deck (thanks to Mike at MCDesigns for supplying me all the static aircraft models included)
    -Made the F-4, A-6 and A-7 aircraft separate mdls so that the number of aircraft on the deck can be configured through aicarriers (thanks to jagl04 for that tip)
    -General tidy ups to the texture mapping

Included in the zip file is an example aicarriers config to add a clear deck version, and a full flight deck version. To customise the aircraft on deck simply create a new formation and configure the unit entries accordingly.

USS Midway 1975_V03_beta.zip

I've tested on my Quad Core and don't see a foreseeable hit on frame rates but I can't guarantee 100% 'stutter free' model. Best advice I can give is to tweak the number of aircraft on deck.

Any of you excellent repainters wishing to make the aircraft colours more accurate to the period and distribute amongst the community - feel free.

I know a lot of peops were looking for me to create an all singing animated ship but I just don't have the skills....hopefully that will come with time and practice. Simworks WIP USS Midway looks pretty cool and I for one will be buying that F-4B package when it comes out. Hopefully my attempt will plug the gap in the meantime.

Finally a big thanks to all the members of the sim community who have supported me on this little project. I only really had a passing interest in the US Navy and the older generation of carriers. In building the Midway i've had to do a lot of research and learned a lot about how you guys 'across the pond' operated these behemoths in the 60's and 70's. It's been enjoyable!

Cheers
    Gary

Cheers Gary.. downloading now

ATB
    DaveB

Gotta have a look at this, limited time at the Mo BUT, aircraft carriers and specific the Midway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Cheers Gary.. downloading now

ATB
    DaveB
    Hay Dave-I took some of your advice 'Gary will learn to add moving bits....aerials and lights'. Added the aerials....lights and moving bits were much harder!

(Haven't posted on CBFSIM for a loooooong time but still and avid viewer on the site)

Members who have read this thread: 23