removing "paints"

Thread: removing "paints"

removing "paints"

im going to remove some the paints within some of my planes ill never use,i rarely if ever fly "outside",it becomes to arkade for me,i prefer to pretend im flying the real plane..and for me it can only be done from inside the VC,

so,

if i remove the "texture" folders,should i also modify the .cfg?...either "//" out that texture?..or delete the entry entirely?

I think it's best to delete the entry altogether (after saving a copy of the original cfg 'just in case').

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    im going to remove some the paints within some of my planes ill never use,i rarely if ever fly "outside",it becomes to arkade for me,i prefer to pretend im flying the real plane..and for me it can only be done from inside the VC,

so,

if i remove the "texture" folders,should i also modify the .cfg?...either "//" out that texture?..or delete the entry entirely?
    Yes, Dave - you will have to modify the corresponding entries in the .cfg file using either of the two methods you mentioned (either will work). You will also have to make sure the [fltsim.x] numbers for the remaining entries, i.e., the ones you want to keep, are sequential which will require renumbering the entries below each deleted or commented out entry.

Just an FYI (as I had to figure this out the hard way), if you use // to remove an entry form your aircraft.cfg you have to renumber the ones below it or they won't show up either...

very good intel..thanks guys..ive got some work to do...

Dave; I am another one who spends 95% of my flying time in VC.
    I usually don't have more than a couple paints for a plane.
    There are two reasons why I don't download a new plane,
    1. It comes with 25 different textures.
    2. It comes without a VC.

If someone wants to release a plane with a lot of textures, I would prefer a release with maybe two textures and then a separate download with another 10 textures for those who want them.

If you remove or rename the texture folders, the repaints won't show.
    There is no need to edit the aircraft.cfg file.

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    If you remove or rename the texture folders, the repaints won't show.
    There is no need to edit the aircraft.cfg file.
    This is what I do. For example if the texture folder is "texture.sg", I rename it to "texture.sg.INACTIVE". It does not show up the list of planes.

Don't forget to delete the aircraft entry in the hidden file "yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SimObjects \
    Failure to do so can cause problems as FSX seems to hang on to the settings of the original entry with some aircraft.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Don't forget to delete the aircraft entry in the hidden file "yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SimObjects \
    Failure to do so can cause problems as FSX seems to hang on to the settings of the original entry with some aircraft.

to remove from that appdata/roaming/blah blah,do i need to just uninstall each item?.....theres crap in there from years back i no longer even have saved..planes i just didnt like and deleted...but its all there...including an FS9 set which i havent had in this pc for many moons.can i delete averything and will it regenerate the one that should be there??

It is safe to clear out the whole caboodle. It is rebuilt with every launch of the sim. The only thing it maintains is the amount of hours each plane has flown.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

You should be able to delete all and it will generate new entries for aircraft and AI traffic objects (cars, boats, animals, etc.) as they are used/encountered in the sim.
    (suggest you copy folder to a backup folder first just in case)
    I could be wrong, but I believe the primary function of these items is to track the accumulated time flown in an aircraft to display in the Hobbs meter if your aircraft has a display for that.
    If you don't care about time shown, delete all of them if you don't want to pick and choose.
    I'm pretty sure that the folder is empty on a fresh install of FSX.
    I have found that deleting removed planes I no longer have seems to reduce FSX load time.
    Unlikely, but if things go wonky, you still have the backup folder you can copy back in and manually delete old planes, cars, etc.

Oops, Naismith beat me to it. Good to hear an equal opinion.

thanks guys..i really appreciate it all.

Members who have read this thread: 43