Spitfire Mk.Ia N3200 Flies!

Thread: Spitfire Mk.Ia N3200 Flies!

Spitfire Mk.Ia N3200 Flies!

Spitfire Mk.Ia N3200, assigned to 19 Squadron, Duxford, was shot down on May 26, 1940 over Dunkirk. The aircraft made a forced-landing by Sqd Ldr Geoffrey Stephenson on the beach at Sangatte during the Battle of France. There the aircraft remained until its recovery in the mid-1980's. Beginning restoration in 2007, through a combination rebuild by the ARCo (Aircraft Restoration Company) and HFL (Historic Flight Limited), the aircraft made its first post-restoration flight yesterday, restored to the exact configuration and paint scheme as the aircraft had in May 1940. Like the restoration of the Mk.I P9374 (which is also a Battle of France veteran, and was also shot down in May 1940), this aircraft joins it in having the early hand-pump landing gear system, propellers, and Merlin III engine of the early-mod Spitfire Mk.I - these two aircraft being very different than any other Spitfire flying, with obviously no expense spared.

Here is a news article with photos and more descriptions: http://www.globalaviationresource.co...a-n3200-flies/

More photos here and on the next page: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...ry-2014/page17

Not only is this a very rare and special aircraft, restored to absolute exacting standards, but what an amazing thing to see an original 19 Squadron vet operating from Duxford again! As of now, there are four airworthy Spitfire Mk.I's (and not to mention the BBMF's Mk.II), with more under restoration.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Rather pretty, wot?

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

The prop blades look so thin...
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Thanks for sharing this news John. I didn't realise the project was already this far.
    (Time seems to go faster when you are getting older......)

Cheers,
    Huub

She looks absolutely stunning!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members who have read this thread: 38