My first repaint
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first repaint

My first repaint

My first repaint is VP-4 Skinny Dragons -High Viz for the KBT V3 P-3C.

You can view more info over here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ntinued/page18

go thru post #435 - #437. (I added more detail to the tail section.)

After completion, I wanted to add a little more detail to the top of the tail section.

Looking great!

You might want to remake the US roundel to get the right dimensions on the bars.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ro...f_the_USAF.svg

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Looking great!

You might want to remake the US roundel to get the right dimensions on the bars.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ro...f_the_USAF.svg
    Thanks, I used the paint kit and they were already painted.

Very well! My first repaint was of the BSMP Saab 2000 in the Etihad Regional Colours.
    Can we exchange our experience via PM?
    Thanks
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

Off to a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Research, research, research.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Yes, the paintkit has a us roundel which should be replaced/reworked. This error is also on most of the other P -3 repaints. Easy to fix though!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Yes, the paintkit has a us roundel which should be replaced/reworked. This error is also on most of the other P -3 repaints. Easy to fix though!

Oh well, I'm happy with it for now. I just wanted to see what I could do and how far I can go with it.

Sorry, I just noticed that I did not change the roundel on the wing when I made the paint kit. The one on the fuselage of the paint kit had been changed and is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post
    Sorry, I just noticed that I did not change the roundel on the wing when I made the paint kit. The one on the fuselage of the paint kit had been changed and is correct.
    JMBiii,

Could you please send me a PM with what is corrected so I can make the changes. Thanks.

GE

Edit: or send me the corrected paint kit with info as to what was corrected.

Roundels for P3

I've done some research research research and also noticed that their stock US Navy textures do not have any wing bmps included in there texture folders, yet when you choose say
    VP-5 (one of KBT's own), the wings appear when you select and fly it. Where are those wings coming from? Also, their (KBT) wings roundels do not measure up to the same as
    the US Military standard of what a roundel should look like

Now both left and right start tips are touching the white bars on their respective sides.

Now hold that thought..... and look what KBT uses.....

This is KBT's VP-5 texture

Thats why It might be a good investment of time to change the roundels on the textures as it will improve the accuracy compared to the real world orion schemes. Roundels are on most aircraft among the first details the eyes focus in on and getting them right is a good start for any repaint :-)

if the wing textures is not in the spesific paint folder, there is probably a shared texture folder which holds all common textures.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

GE;

Jens is correct. Also check your PM. I'll upload a revised .psd file of the wing textures with a correct version of the roundel in a bit.

Joe

Thats why It might be a good investment of time to change the roundels on the textures as it will improve the accuracy compared to the real world orion schemes. Roundels are on most aircraft among the first details the eyes focus in on and getting them right is a good start for any repaint :-)
    That's exactly right!

P-3 PaintKit Wings

Here's the two wing .psd files for the P-3 paint kit for those who have it.
    The roundels have been corrected. The roundel layer on the wing bottom can be copied and pasted on a fuselage layer wherever needed.
    I did not include one in the paint kit on the fuselage as the position varies on the different (hi-viz, lo-viz, gray/white, orange/white) paint schemes.

Joe
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is this P-3 For FSX? :beer: lol very amazing! You are very good!!!!
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

Here's a site with downloads of many templates of national markings and such for use in repainting.

http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/foru...hp?do=cat&id=3

Cheers;

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by mirage3 View Post
    Is this P-3 For FSX? :beer: lol very amazing! You are very good!!!!
    Yes for FSX. see this thread for availability - http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...read-continued

I also think it's on AVsim or Flightsim recently.

Uao! Then i can add this to my future fleet of my MilVA. infonavyvirtual.wix.com/home
    Are you a member of FS KBT?
    Can i add you to my friends list?
    Miro

Wing Roundels

As you can see I fixed the wing top/bottom roundels. I did not use Joe's corrected PSD as I made the changes before the corrected PSD was released. I used Paint.net and added the correct roundel as a layer and resized it on top and bottom best I could. The sides - fuselage is a PITA as the roundels for the fuselage are applied over two different bmp files. Part of the roundel in on one and the remainder is on other bmp file. Wish I knew how to make the fix easier.

Attachment 5649

Attachment 5650

This one is a bit hard for me to fix:

Attachment 5651

Good to hear!

there are no easy fix for that, only try and error to you get it right..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Use the full body file of the paint kit first to place the roundel and other features of the fuselage then select and paste the portion that fits the rear and middle part of the fuselage onto the other .bmp. I believe I had reference marks on the full body to line up on the front and back fuselage .bgl. Sort of hard for to me to explain zackley how to. I'm not conversant with paint but if it does layers, make a new one, line up the ref marks and then merge the layers.

Joe

ps: just got back from work sorry I'm a bit late answering.

Red wine with meat, right ? Then "Ripple" and hot dogs is okay ?

I have submitted a the replacement files that will correct the display of the US roundels on the upper/lower wings. Should be out soon.

Joe, I am really really trying to get my arms around what you are 'splaining to me about the fully monty repaint. I was so hoping that there was an easier way without going
    thru so much minutia.

Essentially we have one roundel (Both sides of fuselage) that is split between two bmp's

Attachment 5677
    Attachment 5678
    As you can see The KBT guys engineered the roundel so that about 75% of it is in one section and the remainder on the other. So it is Russian roulette getting the the
    two sides to dovetail together. Gotta be easier way to do this then do a complete repaint. If the correct roundel were plastered on the two halves in the first place.
    Bummer......

trial and error, but of course here you can use the original wrong roundels to position the new one correctly
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    trial and error, but of course here you can use the original wrong roundels to position the new one correctly
    Not sure I follow, I keep reading and re reading what you say and nothing clicks. Only thing I get from what you say is to reposition the wrong roundel
    and then, layer correct one over it. But to do so, would have original roundel located in area that is not true to real plane.

I was wondering if roundel that I want to layer could be modified where both sections would align correctly with guide marking (On fuselage or roundel) to help.
    That's the whole issue here with one image that is split over two bmp files.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Of course :-) But even so it will probably be a bit of trial and error to get all the pixels aligned.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Members who have read this thread: 79