How Long

Thread: How Long

How Long

How much longer do we have to wait for the IRIS F-4 Phantom FGR2. I really want this aircraft.

Here is the only answer you're going to get, I'm afraid. I'm not saying that it's been this way for years - although it does seem like it.

Never mind. You can make do with the Alphasim/Virtavia offerings until things change - especially if you get the Pack 3 paintkit, as there are extra models in there.

Dave

How long is a piece of string...?

Depends on the string...

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

This the one?

Perhaps this one?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by stuartcox View Post
    How long is a piece of string...?
    Twice as long as half of it's length.
    Andy

Not for sure on this one but I think Matt Wynn still paints for IRIS. He did at one time... maybe he could shed a bit of light on the subject, or contact Dave Brice and ask him what's what with the FGR.2.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    Twice as long as half of it's length.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYGyAez5_MI
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Nobody wants to guess whose model is which above?

Dave

It's the IRIS model. I recognize the paint scheme. I had that plane, bought it when it was first released, but lost it in a HD crash a few years ago.... She had a really nice VC, but a basic 2D, if any. I remember what sold me on that "Toom"... a screenshot of a Fleet Air Arm painted bird, doing a low pass over a lake in the mountains.
    Last edited by Blackbird686; February 24th, 2014 at 12:18. Reason: Saw my mistakes an hour later... corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    It's the IRIS model. I recognize the paint scheme. I had that plane, bought it when it was first released, but lost it in a HD crash a few years ago.... She had a really nice VC, but a basic 2D, if any. I remember what sold me on that "Toom"... a screenshot of a Fleet Air Arm painted bird, doing a low pass over a lake in the mountains.
    Not exactly. The first two shots are indeed the Iris offering, but the lower two are the Alphasim/Virtavia model.
    An easy way to tell is to look at the port window between the two lids. The Iris shows a clear Perspex, but the Alphasim/Virtavia shows the later fit of a periscope.

Hello Sailor!

Dave

Actually the periscope was not common to every RAF Phantom, having fitted a few myself, the dual control airframes aka twin stickers , retained the quarterlight glazing. Still got the Monte Carlo stopwatch bracket blocking the view tho!

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Have just transferred some files.....
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Looks as if the FS9 Classic Phantom re-release might not happen, if I'm reading a thread about it in the FSX Forum correctly. It appears that the original IRIS Phantoms for FS9 are being upgraded to FSX and will be released as a full package later. There is a WIP version that has been released to the community, but there isn't a VC. Not sure if it'll be payware or freeware. I have the WIP version in my dark side sim... and it is very nice so far.

BB686

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    A couple of days ago I did sent the original installers to David, so he has them now. Let's hope he puts 'em up soon.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Members who have read this thread: 23