C-97 wip - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: C-97 wip

Here's the video of a R4360 startup sounds I used for the startup sounds. As for the fan slap not included at this time still focusing on radial sounds. This is still an early wip version.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Here's the video of a R4360 startup sounds I used for the startup sounds. As for the fan slap not included at this time still focusing on radial sounds. This is still an early wip version.

Holy Smokes!!! No pun intended.

That corncob really makes a noise. Didn't realize that you were working off a non wing mounted version. When it gets down the road to the final smooth version, I'll bet it will
    really be awesome

I love this video just because of the announcer and the guy sitting up front having a ball!

Here's an interesting story of a KC-97 R-4360 engine mechanic by "jetstar".

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/316675/

I love this video just because of the announcer and the guy sitting up front having a ball!

Neat stuff. I can imagine the watery eye and coughing from the smoke and the near deafness experienced from just that one big engine.

The startup sounds so bloody disorganized and disharmonic that one wonders how this pinnacle of piston engine development can run smoothly at all. And then it starts to purr...

All I can say is... effin epic!

Hey guys, I got in contact with a PW R-4360 mechanic on KC-97's and explained to me that there are two version. The KC-97 had turbochargers with collector type exhaust. The other version has just stacks and was used on the C-119's and C-124's. So I will be working on a quieter deeper exhaust sounds as he explained to me (JetStar).

Here he (JetStar) is discussing his knowledge of the R-4360's.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/316675/

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    The startup sounds so bloody disorganized and disharmonic that one wonders how this pinnacle of piston engine development can run smoothly at all. And then it starts to purr...
    That cacophony is music to my ears!

Wirrrrrrrrrclack-clack-thump-clack-clack-thump-clack-clack-thump-pop-pop-pop-brap-pow-pop-brummmmmmmmmmm
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    That cacophony is music to my ears!

Wirrrrrrrrrclack-clack-thump-clack-clack-thump-clack-clack-thump-pop-pop-pop-brap-pow-pop-brummmmmmmmmmm
    Cacophonic, low frequency...like fingernails on a chalkboard. It's not as bad as a large two stroke engine on a motorcycle or one of those typically american 6L V8s with that bloody awful low-key "blob-blob-blob-blob", but still enough to make me cringe. And believe it or not, I get these arsehats quite often here in my part of the city. A kingdom for a sniper rifle and a 100% hit rate on motor blocks!

Cacophonic, low frequency...like fingernails on a chalkboard. It's not as bad as a large two stroke engine on a motorcycle or one of those typically american 6L V8s with that bloody awful low-key "blob-blob-blob-blob", but still enough to make me cringe. And believe it or not, I get these arsehats quite often here in my part of the city. A kingdom for a sniper rifle and a 100% hit rate on motor blocks!
    To each his own, I suppose. Shall we agree to disagree on what sounds nice?
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    To each his own, I suppose. Shall we agree to disagree on what sounds nice?
    Yes, please. I shall disappear from this thread and let the bad taste roam free.

Update video

My second attempt at engine creation is a monster. So much more to do than the first one I did that's #4 on the "What's hot list"! Thanks everyone for making that a dream!

Still a lot of tweaking to do on this one.

There's a lot of pickups that sound like that around my area. No bumpty bump cam makes them sound like that. Then they put pipes on that and makes it worse. No thunder becomes mumblers!

TuFun, great work on such a great Cold War icon. The sounds you captured sound like many of the radial startups I've heard over the years at airshows and tarmacs. I think Bjoern's just having a bad day for him not to appreciate what you captured in the sound likeness. Are those type engines loud and cacophonic, absolutely. I think you nailed it on the head.

How will you incorporate the jet engines with this model? were you able to overcome the FSX limitations of 2 different engine types on one airframe?
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Really great sounds so far! Just feeling the power when listening to it!
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    TuFun, great work on such a great Cold War icon. The sounds you captured sound like many of the radial startups I've heard over the years at airshows and tarmacs. I think Bjoern's just having a bad day for him not to appreciate what you captured in the sound likeness. Are those type engines loud and cacophonic, absolutely. I think you nailed it on the head.

How will you incorporate the jet engines with this model? were you able to overcome the FSX limitations of 2 different engine types on one airframe?
    Good question! I always wondered how to model the engine setup on the C-123K Provider correctly - same problem. How were the jets on the C-97 operated - unthrottled, like in the Provider, just on / off?

I love the brutish sound of of the big radials, and large cui V8s or Harley engines. And I admire your work and dedication to bring those lovely sounds into the sim as well as possible, Tufun. Cheers to you!

Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Hi Tufun,

The sounds are awesome! (understatement) Makes me wish to put the volume extra high. My poor neighbours.

Cheers,
    Maarten

That sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Good question! I always wondered how to model the engine setup on the C-123K Provider correctly - same problem. How were the jets on the C-97 operated - unthrottled, like in the Provider, just on / off?

I love the brutish sound of of the big radials, and large cui V8s or Harley engines. And I admire your work and dedication to bring those lovely sounds into the sim as well as possible, Tufun. Cheers to you!

Mark
    Hi Mark, that is the question of the day. There are no KC-97 video examples of how that sound either. Hopefully Manfred has some ideas on this on the programing end.

I think Bjoern's just having a bad day for him not to appreciate what you captured in the sound likeness. Are those type engines loud and cacophonic, absolutely. I think you nailed it on the head.
    The sounds on the virtual thing is actually kind of pleasant. The blessing of a simulated environment.

I don't think that this can ever be done. Either boost all four props without having the gauges give it away by means of FSX' WEP function or artificially boost aircraft speed when the jets are running.

Grab some parts and heading out to the MJ Tanker. Sorta reminds me of the "The Sims" games. A little fun on the side before banging on the 4360's!

Grab some parts and heading out to the MJ Tanker. Sorta reminds me of the "The Sims" games. A little fun on the side before banging on the 4360's!

Hi Tufun,

What a great wee Jeep. And a super sound of the Go-devil engine.

Cheers,
    Maarten

I don't think that this can ever be done. Either boost all four props without having the gauges give it away by means of FSX' WEP function or artificially boost aircraft speed when the jets are running.
    Yep, the MS flightsim engine does jets well enough, piston engines not quite as well, but good enough, turboprops seem to be the worst, but mixed power capability was never incorporated into the sim. If you want mixed power, you have to fake it.

Yeah, mixed engine systems aren't supported in SDK, so it has to be just faked (like in Virtavia B-36). I've been wondering, that with heavy external programming (read Accusim) something like working mixed propulsion could be perhaps achieved. I'd pay a good sum of money for working Ryan Fireball, for example.

Nonethelss, C-97 looks and sounds awesome

Members who have read this thread: 94