Attention all DC-3 fans ! - Page 32
Page 32 of 75 FirstFirst ... 22242526272829303132333435363738394042 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention all DC-3 fans !

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Jankees actually,
    Oh, what's in a name Jan Kees. As a matter of fact my name is Jan Gerbrand ( the latter is my granddad )

But you're right of course, it should remain clear who does what.

Masterful repaint ! I did truckloads of liveries for the earlier DC-3 models, starting from FS5 onwards, including Frontier naturally. Great fun ! I'd almost say 'those were the days! '...I've always found repainting very relaxing and very rewarding. Kinda really miss that... Actually i envy you...

Thanks a lot for all your superb repaint work, Jan Kees ! I'm off to Orbx to grab some of your latest from your new paintwork thread. Thanks again !

cheers,
    Jan

Manfred's, Jan et al-

This thread, more than any other, has kept my attention riveted for over a year now. Since discovering Manfred's C-47 THROUGH THIS THREAD ACTUALLY, I have resurrected my love affair with the DC-3. Mostly, for a decade now, I fly big Boeings for fun. For the past year, I have interrupted the normal schedule of EGSS-VHHH or WSSS or RJAA or..... well you get the idea.... with Misty Fijord meanderings and the run into Bettles.

I agonize over spending time in Villavalencia, or Ketchikan? Should I learn the intricacies of Hump flying or concentrate on the inter-continental routes of the 30s and 40s when the DC-3 set the world on its ear? Will I ever not smile at the feeling of relaxation that hand flying a grand piano produces? Light as a kite and as solid as a rock- all in one? London City to the Royal Suite as a Kittyhawk flight in the RAE scheme has resulted in moments of self-actualization. All this mind you WITHOUT the VVC! Can you imagine the insanity once I can revel in the glorious vista unveiled?

I CAN

A thousand thank-yous for what is, and for WHAT IS YET TO BE!

C

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Manfred's, Jan et al-

This thread, more than any other, has kept my attention riveted for over a year now. Since discovering Manfred's C-47 THROUGH THIS THREAD ACTUALLY, I have resurrected my love affair with the DC-3. Mostly, for a decade now, I fly big Boeings for fun. For the past year, I have interrupted the normal schedule of EGSS-VHHH or WSSS or RJAA or..... well you get the idea.... with Misty Fijord meanderings and the run into Bettles.

I agonize over spending time in Villavalencia, or Ketchikan? Should I learn the intricacies of Hump flying or concentrate on the inter-continental routes of the 30s and 40s when the DC-3 set the world on its ear? Will I ever not smile at the feeling of relaxation that hand flying a grand piano produces? Light as a kite and as solid as a rock- all in one? London City to the Royal Suite as a Kittyhawk flight in the RAE scheme has resulted in moments of self-actualization. All this mind you WITHOUT the VVC! Can you imagine the insanity once I can revel in the glorious vista unveiled?

I CAN

C

A well known feeling, finalized with a most agreeable expression of gratitude, and all this delicately put into words of poetic quality :-) A big cheers for that, C :-)

Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

The very embodiment of FSX magnificence. Truly astonishing.

​.

Well, here's another paint for you explorers:
    http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...defence-force/

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Now there is a rarely seen Dak in PNGDF suite jankees. Thank you off to DL her.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Members +
    Still would love to get one of those tri-motored turbo daks as flown by Polarair. That woul really complete our collection.

Thanks Jankees,

As usual another great paint job from your hands.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Manfred's, Jan et al-

I CAN

C
    If you feel so inclined to try your hand at some of the flights you mentioned, there is a place where that can be achieved...

http://dc3airways.com/

There aren't many 'virtual airlines' that cater to a specific type of airplane, but then again, DCA isn't your typical VA.

You can learn all about the unique challenges flying the Hump offered, and try out the actual Flight routes. It's the same with many of the Airlines that
    operated the Three; you can get Flight Routes and Timetables from the 30's to the 60's!

Thanks Alan!

I have that site bookmarked, however, I'm just not sure VA flying is for me (again). I've been there, and done that, and am hesitant to repeat the experience.

I will go through the site more thoroughly to see what I can glean towards fully experiencing the "Three".

Ta!

Carl

@Carl - I've been exploring that site as well. From what I can tell, it's possible to use a lot of the resources (routing information, timetables and such) without participating in the VA. The main challenge is that a lot of the downloadable material is for FS9, so operations that depend on downloads, like radio range flights, would have to be translated "by hand" into FSX or P3D. Still good reference, though.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    @Carl - I've been exploring that site as well. From what I can tell, it's possible to use a lot of the resources (routing information, timetables and such) without participating in the VA. The main challenge is that a lot of the downloadable material is for FS9, so operations that depend on downloads, like radio range flights, would have to be translated "by hand" into FSX or P3D. Still good reference, though.
    I totally agree. There are many resources that can be used for Flight Planning, and for reference when flying The Three. One advantage of joining the VA is access to the Forums, where even more useful information can be found. Perusing through them, I found a link to a book called Flying the Hump, written by Gen. William Tunner. Not only is it an invaluable source of information about operations @ the Hump, but also about the Berlin Airlift.

Most of the Downloads are structured around FS9 or FS2002, but again, could be useful from a general Reference standpoint.

With the amount of time I spend flying The Three, it's not hard to log two hours of flying time a month; that's DCA's only REAL requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPilot2 View Post
    With the amount of time I spend flying The Three, it's not hard to log two hours of flying time a month; that's DCA's only REAL requirement.
    Do they allow and recognize flights in Manfred's C-47? The fleet page lists only the FS9 default and MAAM-sim versions among those that work (sort of) in FSX. Or is that page just a source for repaints in their livery?

BTW, thanks for the Flying the Hump reference. Have been thinking of trying the Hump routes - that's the main thing I've been exploring on their site. Will head off now and track down the book.

EDIT: for those interested, here's an Amazon link to the most recent edition. Title is actually Over the Hump - but there's also a Flying the Hump by Jeff Ethell that people seem to like.

-- Saint-Exupery

Do they allow and recognize flights in Manfred's C-47?
    Yes they do and even the C117d. They are actually quite thrilled with Manfred's creations.

Quote Originally Posted by Alky View Post
    Yes they do and even the C117d. They are actually quite thrilled with Manfred's creations.
    I should definitely think about joining, then. Will have to read up more about the requirements, the flights, etc.

-- Saint-Exupery

I should definitely think about joining, then. Will have to read up more about the requirements, the flights, etc.
    They're a pretty easy going friendly bunch, some of the founders actually flew DC-3's before they were a classic.
    If you don't file a pirep in three months, you become an inactive pilot, as soon as you file one, you're active for another 3 months.

Hard to beat that. On my way to check them out.

-- Saint-Exupery

I goofed on the title... it's Over The Hump.

Sorry 'bout that!

Not a problem - thanks to your post I found both that book and the Jeff Ethell, so it's kind of a two-for-one deal...

-- Saint-Exupery

Today is the 80th Anniversary celebrating the 'first flight' of the "Douglas Sleeper Transport", or DST. Seven frames later, the first airplane known as the DC-3 rolled off the Douglas assembly line...

AND THE LEGEND BEGINS.

Happy Anniversary!

Try Flying the Hump!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Now that is a tempting screenshot.

This threat has gotten me interested in Flying "The Hump". I have started collecting information on this subject, and am actually downloading the cbix package.

I have recently gotten back in to flight simming, and jumped straight in to participating in the "London to Melbourne Race". As a rookie I did manage to reach Melbourne in time, but have decided to continue the flight as a "round the world" trip, since we already gotten this far. That adventure will continue after the holidays.

So, once I have completed that one, I will be going for the Hump experience. Might be fun to do this on a multiplayer level, but let me stop my mind from taking off right here. One thing at a time!
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

@Jankees - that's exactly the paint I was planning to use for a Hump flight.

I know that shocks you...

-- Saint-Exupery

@Hani-

Thank-you so very much for your. aircraft.cfg modification. I have applied it to my C-47 and now I can sit back and enjoy my slow starts, with confidence that a start is usually possible. It has made a world of difference mate- Ta!

BTW I'm in Stornway and it was a miserable run in, with horrendous weather- sleeting rain , breaking out at 800'. I had a smile plastered on my face for two days . I fly back to Duckie tonight .

Best- Carl

Members who have read this thread: 133