Attention all DC-3 fans ! - Page 29
Page 29 of 75 FirstFirst ... 19212223242526272829303132333435363739 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention all DC-3 fans !

I am thrilled to hear this project is back in the works!

Good news ☺

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Glad to hear it!
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Brilliant news! Jan and Mike on a project together, it doesn't get any better than that.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to further developments guys.

Fantastic news. I love my MJ C-47, but there's still room for a bit more love.

Thanks for all nice and inspirational comments, guys ! It's highly appreciated !

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Explanation for you Jan and Mike why the cowl flaps and controls were missing - takes the confusion out. While photoing the insides I noticed the cowl flap controls missing, it stumped us both, so 'Barf' at RNZAF Wigram Museum dug up this information.
    Great information, Ian, thanks, mate !

I have sent you a PM...

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Great information, Ian, thanks, mate !

I have sent you a PM...

Cheers,
    Jan
    Information and photo's incoming , wonder if Mike would like or need the sets as well.

Best wishes to Hansi

Self interest leaves me delighted, but there's a dark place in my heart for Hansi.

My wife and I are dealing with a loved one who has cancer, and there are even worse scenarios I can imagine, so my thoughts are with Hansi.

Thank you, man, for what you've given us. Thank you for showing the way.

"On the shoulders of giants..."

I second that. Hope you are OK.

Anthin.

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Jan-
    Ian, if you would consider providing a link to your high-res Dakota photos it would be much appreciated mate!
    Carl , sorry took a little whiles to post, this will only last ..
    Files (1.4 GB total)
    DC-3.zip
    DC-3A.zip
    Will be deleted on
    16 November, 2014
    Download link
    http://we.tl/l9wysc3Djf

Some extra photos from Wigram's RNZAF Museum

Files (712 MB total)

DC-3B.zip
    Will be deleted on
    17 November, 2014
    Download link
    http://we.tl/Mmn0owHDJR

Many thanks! Will get them tonight.... Looking forward to a peek at our old lady

C

Hey guys,

Artificial Horizon time. First time for me to really have a go at 3D gauges. This is the one i could pick up for next to nothing in a dump store so this one goes into our VVC :

I'm almost sure i have seen an innerworks drawing of this instrument but can't seem to track it down anymore. I'm almost sure too that someone here can enlighten me about the working of the needles.

Isn't it true that the needle that represents the horizon in this particular instrument is actually not a needle but painted on part of a tube or sphere ? I suppose the little pointer that shows the bank angle IS a needle that works independently from the representation of the horizon ( naturally ).

I've seen a couple of this type of AH in FSX ( f.i. default DC-3 ) and it is obvious that only a horizon needle is programmed in a 2D gauge rather than a tube or sphere but i haven't seen anything like that in a 3D programmed AH neither.

Just wondering about that piece of tube or sphere. Anyone knows ?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tailspin45 View Post
    Self interest leaves me delighted, but there's a dark place in my heart for Hansi.My wife and I are dealing with a loved one who has cancer, and there are even worse scenarios I can imagine, so my thoughts are with Hansi.
    Thank you, man, for what you've given us. Thank you for showing the way.

"On the shoulders of giants..."
    Thanks a lot for your concern, tailspin. Of course i am not 100% sure either but i wouldn't worry too much about Hansi struggling with his health. I *am* 100% sure that, if such was the case, he would've told me. What he told me after he had gone missing the first time ( this was during the time of my (recalculated) retirement from FS aircraft design so it was normal we weren't in contact that much anymore) concerned family matters rather then his own health situation. His favourite uncle died and his father got seriously ill. During that time he lost all inspiration and enthusiasm for anything having to do with computers, programming or flight simulation all together. He didn't even touch his computer keyboard for months.

I think it's fair to believe that his enthusiasm for our VVC project must've been only temporarely. He tried but failed. It might very well be that things got very worse with his father and if it's only a bit of programming to keep enthusiasm going it is not hard to understand for him to throw in the towel a second time, maybe for good...

I still cannot loose hope he might come back some day, probabely not this year but maybe later. This is also what Manfred thinks.

I have learned that it is the things that inspire me the most - the things I love to do, that I have always had a passion for, that doing those things can help me the most through troubling times.

Obviously everyone is different, but it seems natural as rain that a person needs to offset emotional and spiritual hardship with some positive emotion or spiritually refreshing task to stay strong.

Giving up on these things for any length of time and letting sorrows drive the bus only leads to prolonged sadness - this has been my personal experience anyway

I hope for the best for Hansi -
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Hey guys,

Artificial Horizon time. First time for me to really have a go at 3D gauges. This is the one i could pick up for next to nothing in a dump store so this one goes into our VVC :

I'm almost sure i have seen an innerworks drawing of this instrument but can't seem to track it down anymore. I'm almost sure too that someone here can enlighten me about the working of the needles.

Isn't it true that the needle that represents the horizon in this particular instrument is actually not a needle but painted on part of a tube or sphere ? I suppose the little pointer that shows the bank angle IS a needle that works independently from the representation of the horizon ( naturally ).

I've seen a couple of this type of AH in FSX ( f.i. default DC-3 ) and it is obvious that only a horizon needle is programmed in a 2D gauge rather than a tube or sphere but i haven't seen anything like that in a 3D programmed AH neither.

Just wondering about that piece of tube or sphere. Anyone knows ?

Thanks!
    The part that the horizon line is applied to on these old gauges is more like a paper roll cut in half length wise. I think that the hemisphere type was introduced in the late 1940's ore early 1950's.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Carl , sorry took a little whiles to post, this will only last ..
    Files (1.4 GB total)
    DC-3.zip
    DC-3A.zip
    Will be deleted on
    16 November, 2014
    Download link
    http://we.tl/l9wysc3Djf

Ian- got the photos- thanks so very much. Spent the evening admiring the old girls. If anything, this makes me look forward to the VVC even more . Your efforts are appreciated mate!

C

Its a pleasure Carl, one thing I did do was watch the Band of Brothers a few days before and I mentioned to 'Barf' at the Wigram Museum when sitting in the pilots seat how vulnerable it must have felt during the D-Day assault as a I peered out over the nose .... something that sprung to mind course discussing the little chance of getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    The part that the horizon line is applied to on these old gauges is more like a paper roll cut in half length wise. I think that the hemisphere type was introduced in the late 1940's ore early 1950's.
    Thanks,Stan, i had that impression too, good to know for sure !

Cheers,
    Jan

I still cannot loose hope he might come back some day, probabely not this year but maybe later. This is also what Manfred thinks.
    I share that hope, and I am very grateful for all that Hansi has given us; my very best wishes to him, and many thanks for his work.
    MikeW

Its a pleasure Carl, one thing I did do was watch the Band of Brothers a few days before and I mentioned to 'Barf' at the Wigram Museum when sitting in the pilots seat how vulnerable it must have felt during the D-Day assault as a I peered out over the nose .... something that sprung to mind course discussing the little chance of getting out.
    EZ company will live forever!

C

As a matter of fact, yes... Hold on a sec..

Actually i wanted to do a bit more work but since you ask i guess this will do too for the moment. Almost all gauges have been added as well as more cosmetics. Gauge faceplates are a mix of the first of Hansi's plates, some from our Connie panel, some from photos of the restoration panel and some i've cobbled together myself. (row with the oars at hand so to speak. Not unworthy for a DC-3 cockpit i should think ;-). Shadows are working in FSX/DX10 but more investigating is needed. In a day or two i'll send this off to Mike for him to have a look at and maybe make a start with the first coding. I have wrapped up a couple of screenies for you here beneath. A full screen version is here if you like :
    http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3...c_wip_full.jpg

Happy to say that after Hansi gone missing the fun is back to try and make something worthwile of this DC-3/C-47 vintage virtual cockpit. I hope the screenshots confirm that.

Until later,
    Jan

the fun is back to try and make something worthwile of this DC-3/C-47 vintage virtual cockpit. I hope the screenshots confirm that.

Until later,
    Jan
    Beyond words sir. She's gorgeous!!!

Members who have read this thread: 133