C-47 from Manfred Jahn and team - Page 17
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 791011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: C-47 from Manfred Jahn and team

I wanted a darker cockpit with leather seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanimichal View Post
    I have reworked my previous paint of the American Airlines to full HD (4096 x 4096)
    Will be available for download soon

Wonderful! Those jaggies on the strips around the nose are long gone. Amazing work!

But, just noticed, it says "AMERCAN" on the nose?

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    But, just noticed, it says "AMERCAN" on the nose?
    I really don't remember what happened, because after notice this post I looked at the paint kit and all is right!

Fixed

I'll upload soon
    Last edited by Hanimichal; February 28th, 2015 at 03:16.

Splendid, many thanks for this HD rendition.

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Splendid, many thanks for this HD rendition.
    full fixed version https://e-nautia.com/hanimichal/disk?p=5696437

Quote Originally Posted by Hanimichal View Post
    Slowly, but sometime I'm painting
    Just got your spectacular American Airlines Hi-Def 4096 paint, and it's amazing. Thank you so much for doing it.

I've been looking everywhere for a livery that I experienced as a teenager- my Dad flew these:

This is a slightly newer version of the livery, with EAL in English and Amharic lettering on the tail feathers, and the full 3-word airline name in Amharic above "Ethiopian" on the fuselage.

This newer livery is available for a Convair 240 here, but "we" didn't fly the Convairs- they arrived shortly before we returned home to the U.S. from Ethiopia, so my heart is really yearning for a high-quality version of it for my C-47.

Would you have any interest in applying your considerable talents to doing this colorful paint for MJ's great C-47 V2 if someone begged and said "pretty please?"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EAL-AAQ_1963.jpg   EAL-AAP.jpg   EAL-ABY.jpg   EAL-AGO.jpg  

Can't Find Pax Cabin Lights!

Firstly, heartfelt thanks to Manfred Jahn and the team for this C-47 V2 aircraft. It is simply spectacular, especially with the TW sounds, Shockwave Lights and Exhaust Flames, and has moved me to double my average daily flying time in FSX. Adding Hani Michal's stunning 4096 American Airlines texture is just the icing on the cake.

Sadly, I haven't found a way to make my passenger cabin windows light up in exterior views at night. I have read the manual but haven't seen any way to "turn them on," nor can I find any switch for them in the VC, although I could have easily just missed it somehow... I've been told that this "feature" is part of the "night textures," but I'm not knowledgeable enough to find the file(s) containing the "night textures" for the HD American Airlines paint, much less examine them to see if they have a "cabin lights on" variant...

Does anyone know how I can get glowing passenger cabin windows at night, particularly (but not limited to) when using Hani's 4096 American Airlines paint?
    Last edited by HoggyDog; April 29th, 2015 at 08:14. Reason: typo

Cargo doors

I'd like to know if just using the SHIFT + E key will open BOTH cargo doors? As of late, it only opens the one door on the left.

I've restarted FSX and reselected another C47 at a different location and it's the same results. I am not near any refueling stations.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I'd like to know if just using the SHIFT + E key will open BOTH cargo doors? As of late, it only opens the one door on the left.

I've restarted FSX and reselected another C47 at a different location and it's the same results. I am not near any refueling stations.
    Someone went to a LOT of trouble to give this amazing model, which is better than a lot of payware airplanes, a lot of features and realism. So, of necessity, it is more complex to fly and operate than a default FSX airplane. When in doubt, read the manual. Here's a direct quote:

"The port passenger/freight door can be opened/closed by pressing Shift-E. The second freight door opens on Shift-E-2. Steps appear on Shift-E-3 (parking brake needs to be set). Paratrooper door opens/closes via Shift-E-4."

Quote Originally Posted by HoggyDog View Post
    Someone went to a LOT of trouble to give this amazing model, which is better than a lot of payware airplanes, a lot of features and realism. So, of necessity, it is more complex to fly and operate than a default FSX airplane. When in doubt, read the manual. Here's a direct quote:

"The port passenger/freight door can be opened/closed by pressing Shift-E. The second freight door opens on Shift-E-2. Steps appear on Shift-E-3 (parking brake needs to be set). Paratrooper door opens/closes via Shift-E-4."

Thanks for the info, I tried the SHIFT + E + 2 and it would not work on the C47. I went to the C117 and it worked on that aft door but could not get it to close using same keys.
    I went to another aircraft then went back to the C47 and tried the doors again. And the silly front cargo door would open and close when I used the Shift + E + 2 key.
    Wierd huh? So I dunno what's up with that.... I think this beast is getting temperamental on me.

Thanks for the info, I tried the SHIFT + E + 2 and it would not work on the C47. I went to the C117 and it worked on that aft door but could not get it to close using same keys.
    I went to another aircraft then went back to the C47 and tried the doors again. And the silly front cargo door would open and close when I used the Shift + E + 2 key.
    Wierd huh? So I dunno what's up with that.... I think this beast is getting temperamental on me.
    Hmm, for some reason, Shift+E then 2 isn't working for me either today. So yeah, I guess she is getting a bit temperamental.

On page 2 of the control panel (Shift+2 then Shift+3) there is an item on the left, toward the top of the page, marked "Door." Middle-click it and both doors will open at once, and steps will appear. Middle-click it again and steps will be stowed away by an invisible crew member and both doors will close.

Doors work

Previously I had installed an addon by David Robles

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...las-DC-3-N3006

Now it added exhaust effect to the C47 V2 and added an another livery.

To make a long story short, I removed the David Robles addon and used my backup aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files and now the doors open and close like they
    are suppose to when you use the assigned keys. I talked to Manfred about it and he thinks that it is possible that there was something in the addon cfg files that could of given
    the door situation the hiccups.

Interior cabin lights

Would like to see interior lights illuminating from the passenger windows while in spot view.

Previously I had installed an addon by David Robles

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...las-DC-3-N3006

Now it added exhaust effect to the C47 V2 and added an another livery.

To make a long story short, I removed the David Robles addon and used my backup aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files and now the doors open and close like they
    are suppose to when you use the assigned keys. I talked to Manfred about it and he thinks that it is possible that there was something in the addon cfg files that could of given
    the door situation the hiccups.
    I have the same repaint and exhaust effects, plus the N90079 "Silver Bird" skin from David Robles, but neither one of those repaints overwrote panel.cfg or aircraft.cfg. I know that adding skins does nothing to interfere with programmed keyboard commands, and I don't see how adding the exhaust effects, which are categorized as "lights" and enumerated in the [LIGHTS] section of aircraft.cfg and not at all in panel.cfg, can interfere with the operation of a programmed keyboard control. Unfortunately, although I would love to get your doors, and my doors, working via the keyboard shortcuts, I have no way of troubleshooting "door situation hiccups." Did MJ actually look into this problem and find a solution, or was it just a passing remark, based on nothing but "suspicion" that an addon effect or skin "might have somehow" interfered with a keyboard shortcut...???

Would like to see interior lights illuminating from the passenger windows while in spot view.
    Been there, done that. You will find what you are looking for in this thread. Basically, there are two problems with the 4 standard passenger cabin lights, spaced 6 feet apart down the centerline of the cabin roof:
    1. This is a C-47, not a DC-3. As such, it does not have any overhead bins or individual passenger lights; all the lights are on the roof of the cabin, so they don't show up very well from outside unless your viewpoint is below the airplane, looking up at the cabin roof.
    2. The effects used in the standard cabin lights, fx_vclight.fx, are very dim, as cockpit lights should be. If you change to a brighter light, they will be more visible from outside. I used fx_R4D_Cabin_7.fx, but there are many others that you could try.

Here is the [LIGHTS] section from my aircraft.cfg:
    Code:
    [lights] //Shockwave Lights config for this model, belly beacon removed because it did not look right to me
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=logo, 10=cabin
    light.0 =   3, -27.65,  -46.92,  0.93, Fx_shockwave_navred_nl,
    light.1 =   3, -27.65,   46.92,  0.93, Fx_shockwave_navgre_nl,
    light.2 =   3, -61.84,    0.00,  2.13, FX_NAVWHI_nl ,
    light.3 =   2, -27.65,  -46.92,  0.93, fx_shockwave_strobe //left wingtip strobe
    light.4 =   2, -27.65,   46.92,  0.93, fx_shockwave_strobe_3 //right wingtip strobe
    light.5 =   1, -57.80,    0.00, 13.70, FX_SHOCKWAVE_BEACON_ROTATING_RED,
    light.6 =   5, -17.10,  -18.10, -1.99, FX_SHOCKWAVE_LANDING_LIGHT_TAIL_OLD,
    light.7 =   5, -17.10,   18.10, -1.99, FX_SHOCKWAVE_LANDING_LIGHT_TAIL_OLD,
    light.8 =  10, -6.05,     0.00,  2.50, fx_c47_vclight , //cockpit light
    light.9 =  10, -20.00,    0.00,  3.28, fx_R4D_Cabin_7.fx , //pax cabin light
    light.10 = 10, -26.00,    0.00,  3.28, fx_R4D_Cabin_7.fx , //pax cabin light
    light.11 = 10, -32.00,    0.00,  3.28, fx_R4D_Cabin_7.fx , //pax cabin light
    light.12 = 10, -38.00,    0.00,  3.28, fx_R4D_Cabin_7.fx , //pax cabin light

//------------ ExhaustFlames--------
    //index,type, long, lat, vert, fx_filename
    light.13=   3, -19.985,  11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_IDLE_starb,
    light.14=   3, -19.985,  11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_MAX_starb,
    light.15=   3, -19.985,  11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_Exhaust,
    light.16=   3, -19.985, -11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_IDLE_starb,
    light.17=   3, -19.985, -11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_MAX_starb,
    light.18=   3, -19.985, -11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_Exhaust,
    Cabin lights are easier to see, but still not prominent unless you get the right view angle on them... I might just install landing lights in there to see if they show up better. Alternatively, I might play with doubling the number of cabin lights and moving them down the interior cabin walls on both sides to a point just above the windows so they cast a more direct light near the windows.
    Last edited by HoggyDog; May 1st, 2015 at 09:43. Reason: typo

Hoggydog

This was sent to me by manfred :
    Main thing is you got it to work. Yes, adding those effects and changes in the cfg's could cause the hiccups. You could test this by adding Robles's files and see what's happening. Personally, I have seen many cases where smoke effects had a bad influence, and normally I stay well away from them.
    Best,
    Manfred

I removed all entries as per David Robles:

The DC-3 livery is in Esther Mae (N3006) livery...

1. Place the following text in your aircraft configuration file replace the XX with the corresponding number of your entry.

[fltsim.XX]
    title=Douglas C-47 N3006
    sim=Douglas_DC3_v1.2
    model=C47_1
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=N3006
    kb_checklists=Douglas_DC3_check
    kb_reference=Douglas_DC3_ref
    atc_id=N3006
    atc_id_color=0xffffffff
    ui_manufacturer="Douglas"
    ui_type="DC-3"
    ui_variation="N3006"
    ui_typerole="Twin Engine Prop"
    ui_createdby=Manfred Jahn
    description=Privately owned N3006 DC-3 Army surplus clean and rebuilt with modern avionics and GPWS. Repainted by David Robles

2. There is a folder named "Light and Smoke Effects Configs" in it you will find the maps for installing the A2A Shockwave lights and the exhaust effects to update the C-47v2. Copy and paste these items to their corresponding file in order for the items to work. NOTE: Must have A2A Shockwave lights for item to work!!!

3. Copy and place the 18 gauge folder (The entire folder) and place in the main FSX Gauge folder for the smoke effects to work.

What I did was made a aircraft.bak then reinstalled a clean aircraft cfg then cut/past the other liveries that were building up in the bak file + reinstalled the panel folder, this gave me
    a clean configuration that was free from any entries from that I made for the Esther Mae. In all fairness, I might of bummed up the entries, (I dont think I did 'cause I could see exhaust effects)

But it is strange that when I redid my aircraft.cfg and Panel folders that the doors work like a champ. Strange - Coincidence or what? To paraphrase Manfred, the doors got the "hiccups" from
    somewhere......

I don't know is Manfred looked into the situation, think it was just a passing remark.

I have the same repaint and exhaust effects, plus the N90079 "Silver Bird" skin from David Robles, but neither one of those repaints overwrote panel.cfg or aircraft.cfg. I know that adding skins does nothing to interfere with programmed keyboard commands, and I don't see how adding the exhaust effects, which are categorized as "lights" and enumerated in the [LIGHTS] section of aircraft.cfg and not at all in panel.cfg, can interfere with the operation of a programmed keyboard control. Unfortunately, although I would love to get your doors, and my doors, working via the keyboard shortcuts, I have no way of troubleshooting "door situation hiccups." Did MJ actually look into this problem and find a solution, or was it just a passing remark, based on nothing but "suspicion" that an addon effect or skin "might have somehow" interfered with a keyboard shortcut...???

Been there, done that. You will find what you are looking for in this thread. Basically, there are two problems with the 4 standard passenger cabin lights, spaced 6 feet apart down the centerline of the cabin roof:
    1. This is a C-47, not a DC-3. As such, it does not have any overhead bins or individual passenger lights; all the lights are on the roof of the cabin, so they don't show up very well from outside unless your viewpoint is below the airplane, looking up at the cabin roof.
    2. The effects used in the standard cabin lights, fx_vclight.fx, are very dim, as cockpit lights should be. If you change to a brighter light, they will be more visible from outside. I used fx_R4D_Cabin_7.fx, but there are many others that you could try.

Here is the [LIGHTS] section from my aircraft.cfg:
    Code:
    [lights] //Shockwave Lights config for this model, belly beacon removed because it did not look right to me
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=logo, 10=cabin
    light.0 =   3, -27.65,  -46.92,  0.93, Fx_shockwave_navred_nl,
    light.1 =   3, -27.65,   46.92,  0.93, Fx_shockwave_navgre_nl,
    light.2 =   3, -61.84,    0.00,  2.13, FX_NAVWHI_nl ,
    light.3 =   2, -27.65,  -46.92,  0.93, fx_shockwave_strobe //left wingtip strobe
    light.4 =   2, -27.65,   46.92,  0.93, fx_shockwave_strobe_3 //right wingtip strobe
    light.5 =   1, -57.80,    0.00, 13.70, FX_SHOCKWAVE_BEACON_ROTATING_RED,
    light.6 =   5, -17.10,  -18.10, -1.99, FX_SHOCKWAVE_LANDING_LIGHT_TAIL_OLD,
    light.7 =   5, -17.10,   18.10, -1.99, FX_SHOCKWAVE_LANDING_LIGHT_TAIL_OLD,
    light.8 =  10, -6.05,     0.00,  2.50, fx_c47_vclight , //cockpit light
    light.9 =  10, -20.00,    0.00,  3.28, fx_R4D_Cabin_7.fx , //pax cabin light
    light.10 = 10, -26.00,    0.00,  3.28, fx_R4D_Cabin_7.fx , //pax cabin light
    light.11 = 10, -32.00,    0.00,  3.28, fx_R4D_Cabin_7.fx , //pax cabin light
    light.12 = 10, -38.00,    0.00,  3.28, fx_R4D_Cabin_7.fx , //pax cabin light

light.13=   3, -19.985,  11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_IDLE_starb,
    light.14=   3, -19.985,  11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_MAX_starb,
    light.15=   3, -19.985,  11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_Exhaust,
    light.16=   3, -19.985, -11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_IDLE_starb,
    light.17=   3, -19.985, -11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_MAX_starb,
    light.18=   3, -19.985, -11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_Exhaust,
    Cabin lights are easier to see, but still not prominent unless you get the right view angle on them... I might just install landing lights in there to see if they show up better. Alternatively, I might play with doubling the number of cabin lights and moving them down the interior cabin walls on both sides to a point just above the windows so they cast a more direct light near the windows.

Thanks for the Tip, here is picture of MJ C47 aka R4D with the installed cabin lights. Looks way better:

Thanks for the Tip, here is picture of MJ C47 aka R4D with the installed cabin lights. Looks way better:
    Can't find whatever picture you're referring to. I guess you're saying you used the R4D cabin light effects and are happy with the result. If so, glad to be of help.

What I did was made a aircraft.bak then reinstalled a clean aircraft cfg then cut/past the other liveries that were building up in the bak file + reinstalled the panel folder, this gave me
    a clean configuration that was free from any entries from that I made for the Esther Mae. In all fairness, I might of bummed up the entries, (I dont think I did 'cause I could see exhaust effects)

But it is strange that when I redid my aircraft.cfg and Panel folders that the doors work like a champ. Strange - Coincidence or what? To paraphrase Manfred, the doors got the "hiccups" from
    somewhere......

I don't know is Manfred looked into the situation, think it was just a passing remark.
    I had forgotten about the "18" folder that David Robles said to copy into the FSX\Gauges folder. I looked inside it and found only 1 file: beech_smoke.xml. I opened that xml file and found an error in the only line of text in the file!

The line said: "(A:GENERAL ENG1 THROTTLE LEVER POSITION,percent) 60 > if{ (>K:SMOKE_ON) } els{ (>K:SMOKE_OFF) }"

I'm no programmer, but I'm pretty sure that there is no such word as "els" in an IF-(THEN)-ELSE statement, or in the English language. So, I changed the line to read "(A:GENERAL ENG1 THROTTLE LEVER POSITION,percent) 60 > if{ (>K:SMOKE_ON) } else{ (>K:SMOKE_OFF) }"

Sadly, when I tested door opening, it still didn't work via the keyboard shortcuts. SO. I renamed the "18" folder that came with David Robles' N3006 paint to "FolderFormerlyKnownAs18." Then I went into FSX, loaded up the MJ C-47 V2 with David Robles' N3006 paint and made sure engines & battery (etc.) were all off and the parking brake was on.

I switched to exterior view and made sure the chocks had appeared as they should, and they had. Then I issued 3 KB commands: Ctrl+E, Ctrl+E then 2, and Ctrl+E then 3. Here is the result:

So the answer to this question is: there is nothing wrong with David Robles N3006 paint. There is, however, something about the file included with that paint, Gauges\18\beech_smoke.xml, that interferes with the door-open keyboard commands in the MJ C-47 V2, and MJ's suspicions are confirmed.
    Last edited by HoggyDog; May 1st, 2015 at 13:33. Reason: typo

I had forgotten about the "18" folder that David Robles said to copy into the FSX\Gauges folder. I looked inside it and found only 1 file: beech_smoke.xml. I opened that xml file and found an error in the only line of text in the file!

The line said: "(A:GENERAL ENG1 THROTTLE LEVER POSITION,percent) 60 > if{ (>K:SMOKE_ON) } els{ (>K:SMOKE_OFF) }"

I'm no programmer, but I'm pretty sure that there is no such word as "els" in an IF-(THEN)-ELSE statement, or in the English language. So, I changed the line to read "(A:GENERAL ENG1 THROTTLE LEVER POSITION,percent) 60 > if{ (>K:SMOKE_ON) } else{ (>K:SMOKE_OFF) }"

Sadly, when I tested door opening, it still didn't work via the keyboard shortcuts. SO. I renamed the "18" folder that came with David Robles' N3006 paint to "FolderFormerlyKnownAs18." Then I went into FSX, loaded up the MJ C-47 V2 with David Robles' N3006 paint and made sure engines & battery (etc.) were all off and the parking brake was on.

I switched to exterior view and made sure the chocks had appeared as they should, and they had. Then I issued 3 KB commands: Ctrl+E, Ctrl+E then 2, and Ctrl+E then 3. Here is the result:

So the answer to this question is: there is nothing wrong with David Robles N3006 paint. There is, however, something about the file included with that paint, Gauges\18\beech_smoke.xml, that interferes with the door-open keyboard commands in the MJ C-47 V2, and MJ's suspicions are confirmed.
    Ah Ha,,,, Wow aren't you the detective. What a catch you made. I had a gut feeling that there might be an issue with that xml. I may just duplicate what you did with that D18 gauge and give it a go.

So do I have to edit the d18 beech_smoke.xml like you did?

Not sure as to the renaming the folder you speak of. Could you spell that out as to what I need to do please? Thanks

Edit: I changed the xml like you did. so far so good. Now I have figure out the rest of what you did with that folder.
    Renamed the 18 folder to FolderFormerlyKnownAs18 (Check)

After doing all that I mentioned ^ above, do I just replace the original xml with the modified one and then go from there with the other stuff
    there was this info from the original readme install file

3. Copy the following line into your panel file at the bottom of your [Vcockpit01] change the XX to the coresponding number

[Vcockpit01]

gauge XX=18!beech_smoke, 0, 0,20,20 <<<< after the gauge xx = do I change to FolderFormerlyKnownAs18 ?

Can't find whatever picture you're referring to. I guess you're saying you used the R4D cabin light effects and are happy with the result. If so, glad to be of help.
    Maybe you can see the picture now

So do I have to edit the d18 beech_smoke.xml like you did?
    Well, it depends on whether or not you plan to keep that gauge for other aircraft (see below). If you do want to keep it, then by all means, correct the line. If you don't plan to keep that gauge for use by other airplanes, then don't worry about correcting the xml- just delete the 18 folder and be done with it.

Not sure as to the renaming the folder you speak of. Could you spell that out as to what I need to do please? Thanks
    Renaming the folder prevents FSX from "finding" it. You could also just delete the folder, the only problem there is that you would no longer have it to restore if you wanted to use it for some other airplane, OR IF, in the future, some fix is found that would allow the smoke effects and the door opening shortcuts to co-exist peacefully together on THIS airplane. Renaming it means you can always "undo" hiding it from FSX later. Your choice whether to simply delete it altogether or rename it.

[Vcockpit01]
    gauge XX=18!beech_smoke, 0, 0,20,20<<<< after the gauge xx = do I change to FolderFormerlyKnownAs18 ?
    Well, if you do that, you will have undone what we're trying to do: stop FSX from accessing that file. First you hide beech_smoke.xml from FSX by renaming its folder, then you edit that line in [vcockpit01] to tell FSX where to find it? If it was me, I would do this:
    1. Fix (edit) the line in the xml file using Notepad- correct "els" to "else".
    2. Rename the folder back to its original name: ...\FSX\Gauges\18.
    3. Comment out [Vcockpit01] gauge XX=18!beech_smoke, 0, 0,20,20 (That means edit it so it looks like this: //gauge XX=18!beech_smoke, 0, 0,20,20) OR just don't add it if it's not already there- at this point I don't know if you put it back there yet or not.

What this does for you is leaves the beech_smoke.xml gauge file in place so that it can be used by OTHER aircraft that are able to use it without it screwing anything up, but still removes it from the MJ C-47 V2 model because it screws up the door opening commands in that particular aircraft.

Again, the only reason I did it the way I did it was for troubleshooting, a basic rule of which is to change ONLY ONE THING, then test, and if that didn't work then it wasn't the problem, so put it back the way it was. By first correcting the xml, then testing, I ruled that out as the cause. The only reason I didn't "put it back the way it was" is that it was obviously wrong, and correcting it was the right thing to do even though it didn't fix the problem. Then by renaming the folder, which disabled the gauge completely while still leaving myself an "undo" capability in case disabling the gauge didn't work, and testing, I confirmed that the gauge WAS the problem.

Well, it depends on whether or not you plan to keep that gauge for other aircraft (see below). If you do want to keep it, then by all means, correct the line. If you don't plan to keep that gauge for use by other airplanes, then don't worry about correcting the xml- just delete the 18 folder and be done with it.

Renaming the folder prevents FSX from "finding" it. You could also just delete the folder, the only problem there is that you would no longer have it to restore if you wanted to use it for some other airplane, OR IF, in the future, some fix is found that would allow the smoke effects and the door opening shortcuts to co-exist peacefully together on THIS airplane. Renaming it means you can always "undo" hiding it from FSX later. Your choice whether to simply delete it altogether or rename it.

Well, if you do that, you will have undone what we're trying to do: stop FSX from accessing that file. First you hide beech_smoke.xml from FSX by renaming its folder, then you edit that line in [vcockpit01] to tell FSX where to find it? If it was me, I would do this:
    1. Fix (edit) the line in the xml file using Notepad- correct "els" to "else".
    2. Rename the folder back to its original name: ...\FSX\Gauges\18.
    3. Comment out [Vcockpit01] gauge XX=18!beech_smoke, 0, 0,20,20 (That means edit it so it looks like this: //gauge XX=18!beech_smoke, 0, 0,20,20) OR just don't add it if it's not already there- at this point I don't know if you put it back there yet or not.

What this does for you is leaves the beech_smoke.xml gauge file in place so that it can be used by OTHER aircraft that are able to use it without it screwing anything up, but still removes it from the MJ C-47 V2 model because it screws up the door opening commands in that particular aircraft.

Again, the only reason I did it the way I did it was for troubleshooting, a basic rule of which is to change ONLY ONE THING, then test, and if that didn't work then it wasn't the problem, so put it back the way it was. By first correcting the xml, then testing, I ruled that out as the cause. The only reason I didn't "put it back the way it was" is that it was obviously wrong, and correcting it was the right thing to do even though it didn't fix the problem. Then by renaming the folder, which disabled the gauge completely while still leaving myself an "undo" capability in case disabling the gauge didn't work, and testing, I confirmed that the gauge WAS the problem.

I really don't use the D18 for anything in my collection of installed Aircraft. When I plopped it into the effects folder, I did not see a do you want to override question, which tells me that was the first time
    that file was put there. So from what you are saying I don't really need it in the first place, but what was David Robles using it for?

Thanks for explaining this but I still have one question.....

Do you still get the exhaust effect? I thought it was the D18 that was key in making the exhaust effect happen.

Edit: Wait a minute, I think it was the following that was responsible for the exhaust effects

light.13= 3, -19.985, 11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_IDLE_starb,
    light.14= 3, -19.985, 11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_MAX_starb,
    light.15= 3, -19.985, 11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_Exhaust,
    light.16= 3, -19.985, -11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_IDLE_starb,
    light.17= 3, -19.985, -11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_MAX_starb,
    light.18= 3, -19.985, -11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_Exhaust,

The engine exhaust flames work

And so do the doors.

I added back in the Aircraft.cfg file under the lights section

light.18= 3, -19.985, -11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_Exhaust

(I renumbered the light numbers accordingly and voila got the flames.

What I am still a bit perplexed about is when David Robles says the following in his install instructions:

3. Copy and place the 18 gauge folder (The entire folder) and place in the main FSX Gauge folder for the smoke effects to work.

Guess we don't need no stinkin' smoke eh hombre?

Anyway, I got the freight doors to open AND that exhaust effect to boot. Pretty nifty.

Edit: the only thing a little strange is when you are parked and shut down (no engines running), and you turn on the lights, the exhaust flames will work, I guess because
    edits were made in the light section and the exhaust flames were considered lights. Oh well, it's not too bad.

I really don't use the D18 for anything in my collection of installed Aircraft. When I plopped it into the effects folder, I did not see a do you want to override question, which tells me that was the first time
    that file was put there. So from what you are saying I don't really need it in the first place, but what was David Robles using it for?
    Apparently, it creates billowing brown smoke from the engine(s) at any throttle setting above 60%.

Do you still get the exhaust effect? I thought it was the D18 that was key in making the exhaust effect happen.
    Not sure what you are calling "D18." The folder name with the smoke effect is "18."

Wait a minute, I think it was the following that was responsible for the exhaust effects

light.18= 3, -19.985, -11.30, -4.10, fx_V12_Exhaust,
    Yes, the awesome exhaust-flames effect is from the above entries in aircraft.cfg. If you removed them you should put them back (assuming you like the effect) because they have NOTHING to do with the door-control problem.

Members who have read this thread: 168