"Seafire Mk. L.III"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Seafire Mk. L.III"

"Seafire Mk. L.III"

We sadly don't have any good representations of the Seafire in FSX (we had a few for FS9), so I got the idea for some years back to paint up Realairs great Spitfire IX and XIV as Seafire III and XV. The III was sort of a mix with the Spitfire V fuselage with some aspects as seen on the IX (horn elevators etc), but with a short 55M series Merlin (but with individual exhausts) and of course the A frame hook. As I'm sure most of you know, the Seafire was quite an handful for the pilots with its narrow and fragile undercarriage. Not to mention its very short range compared to the US naval fighters. The later was partly solved by using US type drop tanks and the Seafire did very well during the final months of the war in the pacific flying from the British Pacific Fleet carriers.

William Mackay got me to bring forward my old seafire paints for the realair Spitfire and hopefully a few XVs with the Griffon will follow as well. The great problem was to get the hook function to work as it did not work simply by adding it to the aircraft file. Finally William and some other smart people found out it was due to a missing "Hydraulic" section. The hook is of course not visible, but it traps as it should with many broken propellers...lol. Actually I find the Realair Spitfire to be much easier to land on a carrier than many other models, including the Sea Fury. A curved approach is very much needed though to have a visual on the carrier.

Seafire Mk L.III "112/S" of 887 NAS flying from HMS Indefatigable, BPF in 1945. On 15 August Sub/Lt G J Murphy claimed two A6M Zero kills over Odaki Bay Japan with this aircraft.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

wow, looking good!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Credit for the hydraulic solution

The actual solution (need a hydraulic paragraph in the aircraft.cfg file) came from Benoit M. Dube.

Bill

I shall definitely have to give this a go Jens-Ole!! Thanks for the post. Have you tried John Terrell's fictional navalised Mustang? It will be a very interesting comparison. I must confess I find the RealAir Spit a lot easier to fly so should have a lot less breakages!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Very nice JensOle!

Thanks!

"Seafire XV"

Royal Canadian Navy

806 NAS 1946

804 NAS 1947 (notice the early post war 1-3-5 roundel)

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Hello JensOle,

The new repaints are great art works. Thank you for doing these wonderful repaints. I will use them as soon as they become available..

Have a good day

Benoit
    ALPHA BLEU CIEL Gmax Ac RESTAURAVIA Royale French Navy

Blog Entries
    Agree with Benoit - these are superb. The RCN and late period RN ones are to die for.

Would love to see a late period (Griffon, bubble hood) - maybe someday up Rob Richardson's alley, A2A, or some other fine dev.

In the meanwhile, the still-awesome RA Spitfire does very nicely, and those paints would add a lovely element of character. Would be all over those, Jens, when you're done.

Cheers,

DL

ps: might these repaints be adaptable to the twin contra prop model? Might help further reinforce the sense of "late period" Seafire ... just a thought, especially for anything post-war ...

Good evening JensOle,
    do you intend to release your wonderful Seafire repaints based on the Realair Spitfire?
    These are really nice pictures we have here...

Quote Originally Posted by gribouil View Post
    Good evening JensOle,
    do you intend to release your wonderful Seafire repaints based on the Realair Spitfire?
    These are really nice pictures we have here...
    You might check the SOH Downloads area. I don't know where Jens posts his work, but these were posted 2 years ago so they are most likely up somewhere. You might also check flightsim.com

Well, not to say they never were uploaded but I've checked both here and on flightsim.com and nothing shows up that would fit the timeline of when this thread was active. Maybe he'll pop on and give you a HU.

Yes they were never released, sorry.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I'm afraid I must have missed this thread the first time it came up, and would love to have seen these released, JensOle!

For the first time since in original operation, there will be a Seafire LF.III flying this year, and it is scheduled to be flying at this year's Flying Legends airshow at Duxford. (There are three other airworthy Seafires (two in the US, and one other in England), but are all different Seafire variants - the others being the Mk.XV, the Mk.XVII, and the Mk.46.)

https://www.flyinglegends.com/aircra...re-lf-iii.html

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Blog Entries
    Yes - they're lovely. Please do.

By popular demand, here are the III and XV as betas for the SoH crowd:

Attachment 24223Attachment 24222

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Thanks Jen's, ive just bought the RA Spit last week, and i'll defiantly try out these Seafire paints, also looking back over your previous repaints in the library, thanks for those also

cheers ian

Great!!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Very kind of you JensOle, much appreciated!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Many thanks JensOle!!!

Thank you, JensOle!
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Thank you very much JensOle! Good timing too, as my mind has been on Seafires recently...

Photos of the newly flying Seafire Mk.III PP972 based in England, which took to the air for the first time just a couple days ago. The aircraft is currently based at RAF Bentwaters.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Lovely pics John and thanks for the paints Jens

ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jen! Love these. Had only a chance to look at them on, not fly - but they look amazing.

On which texture is the spinner located? Specifically, is the spinner on just on it's own, or is co-located with other pieces? I was looking to replace the late RN's blue spinner with the grey one on the late RCN's. If it's tied into other pieces, it's no biggie.

I'm having a lot of fun. Also, thanks for adding "carrier capability" in the aircraft cfg. I was going to borrow the entries off the AH Seafire - but now it's one thing less to add.

dl

That is good to hear!

All of the paints have the correct spinner colour as on the real world counterpart it is replicating. The spinner is part of the maintexture.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    That is good to hear!

All of the paints have the correct spinner colour as on the real world counterpart it is replicating. The spinner is part of the maintexture.
    Thanks Jen - I kind of suspected that but thought I'd ask anyway.

Again, super job on these!

dl